IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra'ing? Yes in SoCal...Now I need your opinion on the details...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 12:03 AM
cjfung10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clear Bra'ing? Yes in SoCal...Now I need your opinion on the details...

So I've done quite a bit of searching on this forum and skimmed/read a ton of threads dating back to 2006 on paint protection films. It looks like 3M VentureShield, 3M Scotchgard, and Xpel Ultimate top the list on what film people recommend the most recently. Here's some price info that I've compiled for those who are interested in doing the same.

I've talked to 5 reputable (according to yelp or this forum) shops in the southern California area and here's the breakdown on PPF prices (and I'll include the info for tint too since I have the info and will be doing that...I think I will go with the 3M Crystalline):

Tint Plus in Laguna Hills
Ventureshield: (5 yr warranty) $795 for front bumper, headlights, foglights and 1/3 cover on hood/fenders,
Formula One Pinnacle: $470 (Lifetime Warranty)

Alvin O's Custom Window Tinting in San Diego:
3M/Avery: 795 (He told me Lifetime Warranty but what the heck? How?)
Solar Gard Ceramic Tint: $450 (Lifetime Warranty)

San Diego Tint:
Xpel Ultimate(10 yr warranty): $550 for front bumper and headlights and I think fogs, $800 for front bumper and 1/3 cover on hood/fenders, $1200 for full front
3M Crystalline: $500 (Lifetime Warranty)

Advanced Auto Engineering (Scott Kim) in Alhambra/Cerritos:
3M VentureShield (5 year warranty but no warranty against yellowing) : $630 for front bumper, headlights, 1/2 fenders and hood, $1500 for full front Venture shield Ultra
3M Scotchgard (5 yr warranty against yellowing) or Xpel Ultimate (10 year warranty against yellowing): 30% on top of the Ventureshield (above)

I also was in contact with Jason at Aerotect and since they are a sponsor of CL, I won't step on their shoes. However, their prices were competitive.

I think I plan on Xpel over 3M's PPFs. My reasons for Xpel over 3M is that 3M's Venture shield film needs more upkeep to keep it from yellowing (Scott from Advanced Auto Engineering and Travis from San Diego Tint that 3M's Ventureshield does tend to yellow more than Xpel), 5 year warranty vs 10 year warranty, Xpel's film doesn't seem to have as much of an orange peel effect, and Xpel Ultimate's self-healing capability (although I'm not sure how well it works).

QUESTIONS:
Not sure if anyone here have experience with San Diego Tint (or any other shops in SoCal), but I have a slight inclination to go with them (Sorrento Valley's Office) since they carry Xpel Ultimate, will do the 3M Crystalline tint, and about 1/2 a mile from where I work.

Anyways, for those who install PFFs or had it done to their cars, what details should I be looking for or asking before I get it done? If I asked the installers these questions, what would your answer be? Here's the list I've gathered:

What type of prep work is done?
Warranty against what? Is labor included if the film needs to be replaced?
Custom jobs vs. Precut film?
What happens if you cut into the paint/clear coat?

Also, here's a list of the potential areas I may like to get covered...any other places you guys recommend?

Front bumper
Hood
Fenders
Side Mirrors
Headlights
Foglights
Doorsill
Doorcups?
A-pillars?
Wheel well area?
Door edges?
Trunk Lid?

(? designate a maybe...or what do you think?)

Even more of a minute detail for those installers: If my bumper has holes drilled for the license plate already...what should I do? What are my options? (In terms of how I should go about my PPF)

And here's a link to my original thread of my car if you're interested:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-now-what.html

Sorry for the long post but I am too damn meticulous and detail oriented sometimes...I think it comes with being an engineer by trade.

It's late so I may have forgot something....if I did I'll edit it tomorrow.

Thanks all,
Chris

Last edited by cjfung10; 01-04-12 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Blah...?
Old 01-04-12, 12:43 AM
HeartmyIS
Lexus Champion

Prices seem about right. You can take it to any reputable shop they can order any kind of film you like. But I think venture shield is the best. Usually yellowing of the film is caused by poor prep or cheaper materials. As for the areas to cover, hood, bumper, partial fender, mirrors, headlight, and fogs is ideal and enough coverage.

Usually the prep work involves Claying the surface to remove dirt, contaminants, and other debris to ensure a good install of the film. The film is usually prep with a chemical prior to soap and water mixture upon installing.

I would ask the installer to tuck all edges so that it's seamless and reduces any potential lifting in the events that dirt may build up around the edges or corners. Good luck.
Old 01-04-12, 07:10 AM
funglenn
Lead Lap

The main issue is do they have a kit or do it themselves--I would stay away from the kits, that way they can tuck the edges over. I have seen many places that use the kits. so dirt and other stuff are easily visible on the edges of the car --bad bad idea
Old 01-04-12, 07:43 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

I've used San Diego Tint to wrap my Porsche, GTR, E63 and IS350. They have done an excellent job on all my cars (windows tint & full front clear bra), Travis is straight forward and very easy to deal with. I highly recommend them if you are in San Diego.
Old 01-04-12, 08:47 AM
kentaro
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

All my answers in red
Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by cjfung10
Advanced Auto Engineering (Scott Kim) in Alhambra/Cerritos:
3M VentureShield (5 year warranty but no warranty against yellowing) : $630 for front bumper, headlights, 1/2 fenders and hood, $1500 for full front Venture shield Ultra
3M Scotchgard (5 yr warranty against yellowing) or Xpel Ultimate (10 year warranty against yellowing): 30% on top of the Ventureshield (above)

I had clear bra installed by Scott on my front bumper and vertex front lip.
QUESTIONS:
What type of prep work is done?
Clean with pressure wash on areas where clear bra will be installed.
Minor polish if needed

Warranty against what?
Any yellowing/bubble
Is labor included if the film needs to be replaced?
when I got a scuff mark from hitting an object on freeway that I couldn't remove with wash/clay, I took it to Scott and he cut out the area where the mark was and installed a new film of that exact size and charged less than 20 bucks. Without clear bra, my front lip def. needed to be repainted, if not more. If its warrantee issue (yellowing/bubble), I'd assume he'll replace everything with no charge.
Custom jobs vs. Precut film?
He does both, as he did on my vertex lip.
But as someone mentioned, I'd go with custom in order to tuck the edges.

What happens if you cut into the paint/clear coat?
Couldnt tell you but he is very carefull with the install and I'd go to him again.
Also, here's a list of the potential areas I may like to get covered...any other places you guys recommend?

Front bumper
Hood (I'd recommend entire hood, so no lines will be visible)
Fenders (same as the hood)
Side Mirrors
Headlights
Foglights
Doorsill
Doorcups?
A-pillars?
Wheel well area?
Door edges?
Trunk Lid?

(? designate a maybe...or what do you think?)
No to all the ones with "?" only because I hate seeing the lines. personal preference.
Even more of a minute detail for those installers: If my bumper has holes drilled for the license plate already...what should I do? What are my options? (In terms of how I should go about my PPF)
My recommendation would be get a bumper plug and either have the clear bra over or cut around plugs.
Old 01-05-12, 07:22 PM
cjfung10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys...all the help is appreciated. I'll probably be getting it done next weekend.
Old 01-06-12, 10:13 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kentaro
All my answers in red
Hope this helps.
Do you have a pic of the car with the entire hood covered? close up pics of the bumper repair??

Thanks.
Old 10-03-12, 11:17 AM
Meandorris
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your detailed post.

Why would you pay $500 for a bumper protector, but as what I see, repaint costs $250?
Old 10-22-12, 01:24 PM
StreetImg
Former Sponsor

If anyone would like a quote, let me know. I'm also running a special on all these pieces listed, as well as headlight and foglight group buy in the link below. Just shoot me a pm for a quote, and let me know if I can help with anything.

-Paramy
Old 10-22-12, 01:30 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meandorris
Thanks for your detailed post.

Why would you pay $500 for a bumper protector, but as what I see, repaint costs $250?
Because you won't get an OEM quality respray for $250 unless you know a body shop very well. Especially if you have a harder to match color (i.e. SFP, GFM, etc) it makes sense to avoid having to get the bumper repainted.