IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I feel like i just got robbed...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 04:11 PM
AllStrFame
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the auto parts stores for oil disposal, we have a few local mom n pop type garages that have their furnaces outfitted to burn used motor oil and they are always willing to take it off of your hands.
Old 12-28-11, 04:12 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of repairs that I would trust the dealer with, over my own capability. Nothing that you had done would fall into that category. The cabin air filter is readily available for $15, and takes five minutes to install. The oil change can be bought for $35 (synthetic Mobil 1 at Walmart and a Purolator filter at Pep Boys). The oil change takes me about a half an hour to do. If you are worried about how to do any of these basic maintenance items, SEARCH the forum. There is an absolute wealth of information available on CL, and it will make your life easier and save you a ton of money. I am not a mechanic, but I trust my own work over the average machanic at a garage. At least if you make a mistake when you are doing something, it's your fault and not someone else's negligence. Live and learn is so completely true. I have done car audio for years, along with basic repairs, but have ventured into more involved works (thanks to the help I get from other CL member's posts on this site). I just installed F Sport springs last week, and it went surprisingly well. Much to the thanks of the suspension sticky that is posted.
If you have absolutely no mechanical inclination at all, then shop around for the cheapest reputable shop. Otherwise, do some digging and see if you can't do the work yourself. I bought my F Sport spring from Sewell for $240 (shipped), and did it myself. If I had gone to a local dealer, this would have been a $700+ upgrade (installed). CL and the search function can save you a ton of headache, and even more money........ I will say that the cost of the wipers was fair, as I paid $20 each for the Rain-X Lattitude wipers for mine.
Old 12-28-11, 04:17 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
That is a good question, something i wondered too because someone else had the same question. I haven't had any issues with the way mine was installed, i will have to check which way i put it. I just ordered another one since its time for replacement so i may have to post a thread on which way the air flows if i can't find an answer before i install. Would be nice to make sure i'm actually putting it in the correct way
I don't remember which way it flows, but the Purolator filter has a sheet in the box which tells you which way to install it. Worst case scenario, put the new one in the same way as the old one. There is a definitive difference between top and bottom on those filters.
Old 12-28-11, 04:26 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats because you did, no offense. $50 for an oil change at my local lexus dealership. You also paid double for that cabin air filter. But lesson learned my friend, now you know.
Old 12-28-11, 05:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Most of these maintenances is easy to DIY especially here on CL since so many members have contributed to the community creating threads to help one another.
Old 12-28-11, 06:39 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

i don't pay for tuneup just regular oil change is good for me.....
Old 12-28-11, 09:44 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Never, ever, ever, ask for the "X miles" service.

They'll not do anything extra, but charge you 3x as much.

As noted, you got an oil change that is $50 at my dealer if you ask for JUST an oil change... plus $20 in windshield wipers, and a $15 cabin filter you can change yourself in 5 minutes in your glovebox with no tools required .
Old 12-28-11, 10:16 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
For these filters....which way is the arrow suppose to be pointing at?

Which way does the airflow go on our cars?
Arrow points up lol. The filters I've bought have an arrow and a "This Side Up" next to it. Same goes with the white plastic container that the filter goes in to, the arrow on that too points up.
Old 12-28-11, 10:29 PM
neomedic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chi123
Arrow points up lol. The filters I've bought have an arrow and a "This Side Up" next to it. Same goes with the white plastic container that the filter goes in to, the arrow on that too points up.
Arrow points up for OEM lexus / toyota. But with aftermarket filter, the arrow only shows which direction of the air should flow. So for proper install, we need to know which way the air will flow.

OEM lexus Toyota's arrow does not show airflow, only the way it should be installed. arrow up
Old 12-28-11, 10:31 PM
chi123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neomedic
Arrow points up for OEM lexus / toyota. But with aftermarket filter, the arrow only shows which direction of the air should flow. So for proper install, we need to know which way the air will flow.

OEM lexus Toyota's arrow does not show airflow, only the way it should be installed. arrow up
Airflow goes downward. So if aftermarket ones do have to be installed in direction of flow, then the arrow points down.
Old 12-29-11, 09:53 PM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Never, ever, ever, ask for the "X miles" service.

They'll not do anything extra, but charge you 3x as much.

As noted, you got an oil change that is $50 at my dealer if you ask for JUST an oil change... plus $20 in windshield wipers, and a $15 cabin filter you can change yourself in 5 minutes in your glovebox with no tools required .
Was gonna same the same thing. Just look at your owners manual, see what service is required at your mileage, and ask for that specifically. Filters and wipers are always easy to do yourself. Never EVER, for any car (especially at high end dealerships like Lexus), pay for the XXX mile service. They charge you a bazillion dollars to "check" everything, although they're actually doing very little work, if any. And if you look down the checklist that they "check", it's the same list they normally go through during a regular oil change for no extra charge. But because you authorized them for the special "service", you get hosed.
Old 12-29-11, 10:01 PM
drummerjim
Driver School Candidate

Was also gonna say.....I found a good service advisor I like, and when maintenance is due on my car, she first suggests the "service", but then I tell her those prices never add up.....she smiles and agrees, and goes through the list and adds the services I actually need one at a time. At 60k, the "service" was like $900, but adding in what I wanted a-la-carte, it came out to about $400.

Note I've asked other service advisors to do the same, and they look at my like I have 4 heads. Of course most people at my stealership are pretentious douche bag ******...
Old 01-04-12, 05:19 PM
ninja729
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well thank you all and I've already bookmarked everything I need lol. I'm just going to invest in a decent jack and then next time dyi everything myself!