IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Which Optima Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 11:29 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
Surprised to see such negative reviews/opinions on the Optima Yellow Top...
Yea i don't get it either~ is this like the Matrix hate kinda thing? When the movie first came out it was the coolest thing ever, then it became 'cool' to hate it, DBZ has the same cool to hate thing going on...

I've been using a yellow top for a few yrs now, take my car show/leave the UFO lights on for hours, never had a problem. Sure there are alot of options out there but running a yellow top is never a 'wrong' choice. Helps thou if you know what 'deep cycle' means
Old 11-16-11, 11:43 AM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhonyISF
Surprised to see such negative reviews/opinions on the Optima Yellow Top. I had one on one of my previous cars which was a Lancer. Had a Pioneer headunit, iPod/MP3 adapter, JL 12" sub, MB Quart interiors, and two Zapco amps. Worked like a champ... never had an issue. Car started up stronger, and lights never dimmed when I had the system bumping.

But to be honest... I then had a Duralast Gold on my MazdaSpeed Protege, which also had a similar but slightly smaller system, some upgraded HID's, and additional interior lighting. It felt to be just as dependable as the Yellow-Top. Also had the Duralast drain out after leaving my lights on since the car had a turbo timer (derp). Came back HOURS later, got a jump... and still ran like a champ until I sold it recently.

So... not sure it's worth it to pay more $$ for a battery like Optima, Kinetik, or Stinger. If you want peace-of-mind or if you plan to do a major sound system upgrade, do it. You won't regret it. If you want to save some $$ just get a Duralast Gold in my opinion.
i just replaced my silverado battery with a duralast from pepboys and truck starts alot stonger now. cost me 120 bucks minus 12 dollar core.

as far as capacitors.... running them for prevention not a band aide...
Old 11-16-11, 01:26 PM
soulsoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope this thread helps people who are looking for which Yellow Top to use. I already go mine install so I'm not going to discuss which one is better. I didn't know people would get so worked up on batteries. Ha...
Old 11-16-11, 01:40 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one is worked up. Just sharing our experiences. Do a search on google and I'm positive you will find more of the same. Just trying to help out our fellow Lexus owners.
Old 11-16-11, 02:09 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

All car in my family was having Optima Battery and none of us have any problem.

On my Scion tC: Optima Yellow top and was running 1 kicker ZX2500 AMP with 2 L7 SUB. 2 IX1000.5 AMP with component speaker. Head Unit is eclipse 726D and headrest monitor

On accord: yellow top and have full Alpine set up (2 subs, speakers, lighting system, Navigation, headrest monitors, big horns) Not problem as well

On wife Accord: Red Top. was running 2 sub, 1 amp, navigation and headrest monitor. Not single problem
On IS: Red Top, Everything was stock except 1 ipad and 1 tablet

We're all watching and playing music while engine is not running due to kids
Old 11-16-11, 02:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Optima batteries are overkill in most situations.I like Interstate batteries.
Old 11-17-11, 06:18 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

I have an optima yellow top and u push 1000 watts rms @ 1ohm system on the stock alt. Never have any issues, but if you dont have a system or some extreme gadgets its not worth the cash unless you run your radio with the car off (stock radio with no upgrades) or lights for some time then a deep cell like the yellow top helps with that as well. My oem panasonic battery was still testing 100% when I took it out in fact if someone needs a bat. cheap hit me up cause that thing was a tank I head some members have run them 7+ years.
Old 11-17-11, 06:55 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

I don't think it's hate either. I used to have yellow and red top Optimas in my previous cars as well, 91 240 SX, 91 300ZX, 01 MDX, 07 MDX, 97 NSX with no high end after market audio/video stuff installed but all of them went bad in a short time, they drained themselves out (sometime it was my fault to leave the lights on) but after recharging, they no longer hold the charge as supposed to, went dead quickly and quite a few times I was stranded because I couldn't start the car and had to cal AAA to the rescue. I've since switched to Odyssey in my 07 IS350, so far so good, it's a bit pricy but I'm happy with it. Maybe it's just me but that's my experience with Optima batteries so just trying to share with fellow CL members as well.
Old 12-15-11, 09:53 PM
BigLexx
Rookie

I had Optima redtop in my 1997 Honda Accord Coupe.{RIP 6/27/10}Had it for 6yrs and not once a problem. Just put Interstate in my wife's Expy tho,and so far its top notch.
Old 12-15-11, 10:18 PM
JYOO
Pole Position

Im also suprised at all the negative talk about OPTIMA batteries. I had a redtop that i bought from a local auto parts store like schucks or action auto parts and i thought it was good. I had it on my Mustang Cobra with a small system (under 1000 watss) and many Cobra's are also known for having bad alternators. I also noticed my car fired up quicker than before and quicker than other identical Cobras.
Old 12-20-11, 05:33 PM
SatxIS350
Driver School Candidate

not sure what happened but i installed a yellow top in my 350 and the gauge cluster stopped working, the power steering, and some other stuff...changed back to the previous battery problem disappeared, put yellow top in problem came back, so i returned the yellow top....the only good thing out of using the yellow top was it cut my rev/speed limiter almost topped 6th gear out...
Old 12-20-11, 11:27 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Costco Kirkland Battery! I have it on my IS, TSX, and Odyssey. Best battery you can buy! 3yr Free Replacement and 100 Month Prorated. And the Battery was only $65+TAX! Kirkland Batteries are made by Johnson Controls...which they also make batteries from Interstate, Die Hard (Sears), Duralast (Autozone), Everstart, and Prostart (to name a few!) Can't go wrong plus they have more CCA than stock or Optima!

Check out http://www.bestcovery.com/best-car-battery-for-value

Last edited by tC_demon; 12-20-11 at 11:32 PM.