IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Smart Card Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 02:28 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a new battery for the smart card and program it again. This happen to me. If the the battery is weak you can't program the smart card.
Old 04-15-12, 02:27 AM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ISBU
Buy a new battery for the smart card and program it again. This happen to me. If the the battery is weak you can't program the smart card.
Yes! I worked!

I just had to insist to the service advisor to try it just to give me some peace of mind and i also had to convince the senior tech working on it to actually swap the battery for a new one after they both assured me multiple times that it wouldn't work...

sure enough it worked and they were both pretty shocked (and a bit embarrassed) that it did after telling me that it wouldn't work... they were nice enough to not charge me anything for my extra visit =]
Old 04-18-12, 07:47 PM
Whiteis250
Rookie

hey guys, i bought my car off a private dealer. I bought an 09 is250 with only one key fob. I went to the track on sunday and on my way home realized i didn't have my lanyard which my was on.. Right now i am lost on what to do.. if i buy the smart card will i need to take the car to get it programed or? Or should i just buy the key fob? I'm lost with all this. PLEASE HELP
Old 04-18-12, 08:00 PM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteis250
hey guys, i bought my car off a private dealer. I bought an 09 is250 with only one key fob. I went to the track on sunday and on my way home realized i didn't have my lanyard which my was on.. Right now i am lost on what to do.. if i buy the smart card will i need to take the car to get it programed or? Or should i just buy the key fob? I'm lost with all this. PLEASE HELP
^ i'm a bit unclear if you still have a keyfob to your car or not

if you don't have any keys/keyfobs on with you, and have no way of turning on your car... i believe you will need to buy at least one keyfob/keycard and have your car towed to a lexus/toyota service center to have it programmed (unless you can arrange to bring a tech with the appropriate equipment to program it at your place)

if you still have at least one keyfob to turn on your car... you can choose to get either an extra keyfob or keycard as your spare key. in either case you will need to take it to a lexus/toyota service center to have it programmed.

good luck!
Old 04-18-12, 08:03 PM
Burtt9
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stasis3131
Just out of curiousity I took my key fob apart to see exactly how it's made. I actually see how he made his own smart card now. The whole chip and battery is connect and comes right out. Its a tad bit bigger then 2 credit cards but not much. I own a bowling bag and supply company and we work with a lot of plastics and carbon fiber. I bet I could get one of my factories to make a mold that's similar to the smart card with a Lexus logo or fsport logo and you could put your key fob chip in there and you got a smart card. I could even make a spot that holds the spare key. I could do it in plastic or carbon fiber look plastic or even real carbon fiber. If I had enough interest in this item I would become a supporting vendor to this site and make them.

If any mods see this post send me a link on how to become a supporting vendor

Would def be interested if it was proper!
Old 04-18-12, 10:01 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

so would this work for the 07 is250 and have 2 fob and a key card???
Old 04-19-12, 02:01 AM
ISBU
Lexus Test Driver

You can program up to 7 fob or smart card or combination of fob and smart card.
Old 04-19-12, 05:47 AM
Whiteis250
Rookie

Originally Posted by enrikito
^ i'm a bit unclear if you still have a keyfob to your car or not

if you don't have any keys/keyfobs on with you, and have no way of turning on your car... i believe you will need to buy at least one keyfob/keycard and have your car towed to a lexus/toyota service center to have it programmed (unless you can arrange to bring a tech with the appropriate equipment to program it at your place)

if you still have at least one keyfob to turn on your car... you can choose to get either an extra keyfob or keycard as your spare key. in either case you will need to take it to a lexus/toyota service center to have it programmed.

good luck!
Sorry for not making it clear, but no i do not have any type of key at all.
Old 06-25-12, 10:13 AM
silverlexg
Driver

Default Cheap eBay Cards

Just curious - has anyone had luck using the eBay smart card keys? They are around $100 which is quite a bit less - more in the price id want to spend to try this feature out. Also - are they year specific? Ive heard of people using model year cards between vehicles (ie LX on an IS) but if an auction says "Brand new, from my LX570 2013, also good for any Lexus models" is that really true?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-12, 12:04 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would expect anything on ebay for cheap will be used (ie already programmed) meaning you'll need to spend more getting it programmed for your car than you would a "new" key.

Programming a new key takes literally 5 minutes, dealer should do either free or for 30 min labor depending on the dealer and your relationship with em.

A used one requires a master reset of the system in the car, so expect at least an hour labor charge, maybe 1.5 if they're feeling frisky.
Old 06-25-12, 08:26 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteis250
Sorry for not making it clear, but no i do not have any type of key at all.
Then how did you start the car to get home?
Old 06-26-12, 03:32 PM
kingster
Pole Position

I will keep my FOB in my jeans change pocket ( I never had a problem). Card looks sophisticated but I would not want to risk it bending or even braking in my wallet.
Old 06-27-12, 01:35 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

I need to get me one of these
Old 06-27-12, 05:54 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kingster
I will keep my FOB in my jeans change pocket ( I never had a problem). Card looks sophisticated but I would not want to risk it bending or even braking in my wallet.
Do you often have credit cards bending and breaking in your wallet? Because this is basically the same thing and that seems like a pretty odd concern.
Old 10-11-12, 09:15 PM
mplopez
Rookie

Talking Magnussen Lexus in Fremont can program the card and sell it

Just got the card and programming done at Magnussen Lexus in Fremont (A Club Lexus Sponsor). Gabe in Parts hooked it up good!

He actually beat Sewell Lexus price and I was charged about 30 mins of labor - I was literally in and out in 5 mins. Getting the paperwork finalized and paid took 15 mins.

Picture of the card in a pocket on my phone case. No need for a fob now. Just keep my phone on me
Attached Thumbnails Smart Card Key-photo.jpg  

Quick Reply: Smart Card Key