IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 10:45 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?

So most of us know how our shifter can be screwed on and off.
And if you crank / screwn down to far on either the stock ISx50's or the stock IS-F perforated shifter the chrome center will make a crack noise and begin to seperate itself from the leather.

When I got my f sport carbon fiber **** it was able to go way farther then either of the two shifters above but still wouldn't touch the shifter floor base. If I tried to get it to touch it too would make a slight hint of a cracking noise and I could see it was beginning to seperate from the leather of the shifter.
Thus I backed up one thread. It was low but not as low as I want it. I want the base of the shift **** to touch the base of the shifter gate.

So with that said how can I "shave" off some of the top threads of the shifter stalk that the shift **** screws on to.?

I hope you don't say dremel cause if so I apparently don't have the right attachment for my dremel cause all it did was laugh at the fact I was trying to dremel straight through unhollow steel, it heated up my stalk and that was about it.
Old 09-29-11, 11:17 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I'm gonna say dremel lol. Try it with a cut-off wheel. I've used this to shorten thick bolts so it should have no problem cutting the shifter shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?-dremel_426_lg.jpg  
Old 09-29-11, 11:32 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBBQ
Sorry, I'm gonna say dremel lol. Try it with a cut-off wheel. I've used this to shorten thick bolts so it should have no problem cutting the shifter shaft.
Ah perfect, I'll try that. I'd hate to melt the stalk then the shift **** won't even screw on to it if I mess up the threading. I'm betting this attachment will slice right through it no problem.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 09-29-11, 11:42 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, it slices through metal no problem. Put a large rag to catch the metal particles though! I want a F-Sport shift **** haha.. will have to wait awhile. My $735 purchase a couple weeks ago (F-Sport sway bars, intake, steering damper). went by without the wife saying anything.. lay low for awhile lol.
Old 09-29-11, 11:47 PM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

Yep, it slices through metal no problem. Put a large rag to catch the metal particles though! I want a F-Sport shift **** haha.. will have to wait awhile. My $735 purchase a couple weeks ago (F-Sport sway bars, intake, steering damper). went by without the wife saying anything.. lay low for awhile lol.
You are one lucky guy... I'm still trying to find a way to justify the need of the rear lip and since I am deployed she will be getting it directly sent to her..
Old 09-29-11, 11:54 PM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

I had my wife go pick up my GFX sides and rear lip from Lexus of Westminister for me.
Old 09-30-11, 12:03 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

I got my f-****.... Didn't like it....
Made it my own. See attached
Items changed were from flat leather to perforated.
Stitched the white stitching through the perforated holes.
Threw away the blue stitching....
Attached Thumbnails Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?-img_9517.jpg   Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?-img_9518.jpg   Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?-img_9519.jpg   Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?-img_9520.jpg  
Old 09-30-11, 12:12 AM
MrBBQ
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Nice! I'm really digging that. Look better and the white stitching will match my white stock stitching on my interior. Is it easy to do youself?
Old 09-30-11, 12:20 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just remember the shifter changes height as you move it thru its... arc? so cut it to the height at its lowest point in its swing~ and NOT when its in the park position.
Old 09-30-11, 12:25 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
just remember the shifter changes height as you move it thru its... arc? so cut it to the height at its lowest point in its swing~ and NOT when its in the park position.
Completely agree! It does do that. I noticed it as I was trying to achieve the lowest point with the stock IS-F **** before I sold my spare IS-F ****.
Thanks llama for the reminder!
Old 09-30-11, 12:26 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

^^ Nice! I'm really digging that. Look better and the white stitching will match my white stock stitching on my interior. Is it easy to do youself?
No clue! I shipped it to my buddy and he knocked it out for me. I of course had to pay him and wait a long time but the detail with the stitching through the perforations was so worth it.

Yea I'm doing white stitching on my seats so this would match it

I assume if you cut the leather on the IS-F **** remove the stitching, lay down perforated leather (or whatever you wanted) then restitched it shouldn't be to hard. I've been working crazy hours at work (50+) so I never had time to do it myself since when I get home the sun is coming up and I'm tired.
Old 09-30-11, 04:37 AM
meangene
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CCJ22
No clue! I shipped it to my buddy and he knocked it out for me. I of course had to pay him and wait a long time but the detail with the stitching through the perforations was so worth it.

Yea I'm doing white stitching on my seats so this would match it

I assume if you cut the leather on the IS-F **** remove the stitching, lay down perforated leather (or whatever you wanted) then restitched it shouldn't be to hard. I've been working crazy hours at work (50+) so I never had time to do it myself since when I get home the sun is coming up and I'm tired.
wow that looks really good bro! Post some pics of the steering wheel!
Old 09-30-11, 05:19 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meangene
wow that looks really good bro! Post some pics of the steering wheel!
Did u get my message on your cell?
Old 09-30-11, 05:26 AM
GilIS250
Lead Lap

that looks really good CCJ22... Can't wait to see your new interior when it is done.. soo hurry!!!
Old 09-30-11, 05:58 AM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GilIS250
that looks really good CCJ22... Can't wait to see your new interior when it is done.. soo hurry!!!
Thanks Gil

Quick Reply: Any1 know how to remove thread off the shifter stalk?