IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HU + Amp help/idea

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-11, 01:34 AM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket HU + Amp help/idea

So Im trying to install my double din but trying to figure out how to get around my stock non-ML amp. Slammer1 has been helping with it and suggested running all the speakers with a aftermarket amp thats hooked up to my double din.

I have two different wiring diagrams for the stock amp but cant figure out how to hook up all 13 speakers to a 4channel amp. haha

But I recall running into this problem twice, with my brother Nissan Quest and my old Celica GTS, both had factory amps. I remember I just routed all 8 speaker wires to my aftermarket HU, totally not using the factory amp.
The problem is there are so many speakers in this car idk if it is possible.

I have read the DIY for adding a sub and amp but i noticed thats for adding it to the stock HU. I was wondering how did you DIYer's went about doing this?
Old 06-03-11, 07:04 AM
nastyemu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know you won't be able to properly run the OEM speakers with a 4 channel amp.

The frequency ranges of the (3) OEM speakers per door don't fit into the traditional (2 speaker) tweeter/woofer output of an amp channel. You'd have to replace all 13 speakers with 8 aftermarket ones.

For that reason, it seems like most people just keep the OEM speakers/amp then add a sub + amp on top.
Old 06-03-11, 12:32 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Ahhhh I see i see. So how should I go about getting signals from my double din to my speakers without changing all the speakers? Im positive a aftermarket HU has been installed to factory speakers. How they did it, I dont know~ haha
Old 06-03-11, 12:50 PM
BernieIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nastyemu
As far as I know you won't be able to properly run the OEM speakers with a 4 channel amp.

The frequency ranges of the (3) OEM speakers per door don't fit into the traditional (2 speaker) tweeter/woofer output of an amp channel. You'd have to replace all 13 speakers with 8 aftermarket ones.

For that reason, it seems like most people just keep the OEM speakers/amp then add a sub + amp on top.
This is completely incorrect. Each channel of an amp gets a signal that is supposed to go to a speaker or group of speakers. The crossover receives the complete signal and then the crossover breaks that signal down and send the specific signal to each speaker. Typically the crossover is right before the largest woofer and disperses from there.

1st you need to verify where the stock crossover is and from there tap into the wiring with your wiring from the 4 channel amp.
Old 06-03-11, 12:56 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Ohhh ok ok so where is the crossover located? hmmm Im guessing it would be in the rear near the woofer.

But I also called my located audio shop and they told me to get a Metra TYTO-01. They said its cheaper and easier to install then another amp. I looked it up and the installation is pretty straight forward.
Old 06-03-11, 02:37 PM
nastyemu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm not sure what is so incorrect about what I said since the IS crossovers are internal to the OEM amp.

You get rid of that amp and you're left with a mess of speakers and 4 channels on the new amp. Do they even make 3-way crossovers for car audio use?
Old 06-03-11, 05:30 PM
takadakeyo
Rookie

Internal huh? Sounds like picking up the Metra TYTO-01 would be sooo much easier. I also rather have only one amp to power my subs then two to deal with. haha