IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

is350 Brake Fluid flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 07:26 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would DIY. I just did mine about 2 months ago by myself (I have a set of speedbleeders) and it took about an hour total. I went with two bottles of fluid and have about 1/4 of one of the bottles left.
Old 07-15-11, 03:00 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always used Castrol GT LMA, I found it to last long the the pennzoil brake fluid and the Valvoline brake fluid.
Old 07-15-11, 04:49 AM
micel
Rookie

If you can find a competent mechanic that will use quality fluid for 200$ I would let them do it.Brakes are messy and unless you have a lift bleeders are hard to get to.It seems IS abs is pretty strait forward but I have seen many other brake systems that are a nightmare to bleed.
Old 07-15-11, 07:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by micel
If you can find a competent mechanic that will use quality fluid for 200$ I would let them do it.Brakes are messy and unless you have a lift bleeders are hard to get to.It seems IS abs is pretty strait forward but I have seen many other brake systems that are a nightmare to bleed.
It's only $120 at the dealership, I'd certainly expect it to be even less at a non-dealer mechanic.

$200 is insanely too much for a brake fluid change.
Old 07-15-11, 02:07 PM
hazmat
Rookie

I have my trusty mechanic do it for 84 dollars. Took less than an hour for him to do.
Old 07-29-11, 04:25 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Does anyone bleed their brakes without removing the wheels? I havn't tried it on the IS but I just stick a small wrench and open and close the bleeder if the wheel has space

Is $120 the going rate for most dealers? I have read in another thread someone paid $180.
Old 07-10-13, 05:44 PM
NightVince
Rookie

bringing this back from the dead...

do anyone have any pics on where the old fluid will come out of on the calipers???
or any help to a DIY with a step-by-step pics

it would help very much...

thanks

Night

P.S getting ready to put in some new rotors and brake pads in a few weeks
Old 07-10-13, 05:49 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

there is a fitting on the caliper that is covered by a rubber nipple. You need a 10mm wrench to open the valve

brake bleeding is the same for every car, some easier than others. Using ramps helps so you dont have to take off the wheels

Old 07-10-13, 06:01 PM
NightVince
Rookie

any suggestion on brake fluid i should use???

Brand , type, something, something , something????

will be my first time doing this

Night
Old 07-10-13, 06:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

DOT3 fluid, brand doesnt really matter
Old 07-10-13, 06:08 PM
NightVince
Rookie

are there better fluids for higher boiling point or pressure thingy???

Night

thanks for the help
Old 07-11-13, 02:19 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nobody answered that question because you should be doing your own research. These are your BRAKES and shouldnt be attempted but correctly performed. I shouldnt have to say how important these are

Originally Posted by NightVince
are there better fluids for higher boiling point or pressure thingy???
You should be using a glycol-based brake fluid (DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1). Brake fluids with different DOT ratings can not be mixed.

Originally Posted by DOT §571.116 S5.1.1 & S5.1.2
DOT # | Dry boiling point | Wet boiling point
DOT 3 | 205 °C (401 °F) | 140 °C (284 °F)
DOT 4 | 230 °C (446 °F) | 155 °C (311 °F)
DOT 5.1 | 260 °C (500 °F) | 180 °C (356 °F)
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.116
This is irrelevant under normal driving conditions. (I.E.: your communte wont get "better" braking power, you wont stop faster, and you wont stop "better." What you will have is a more consistant brake response.) I suggest you educate yourself if you plan on taking on the task of doing them yourself. IMHO, if you're trying to save yourself $120 bucks from the dealer, you can (a) bring your own supplies to offset the cost or (b) find yourself a shop that will do it on the cheap.

With that being said, I replaced my Toyota Genuine Brake Fluid (DOT 3) 00475-1BF03 with StopTech STR-600 High Performance Street Brake Fluid (DOT 4) 501.00001. I tend to drive a little spiritedly on mountains and thus frequently use my brakes.

Last edited by UniSlayEX; 07-11-13 at 02:25 PM. Reason: DOT Standard No. 116; Motor vehicle brake fluids
Old 07-11-13, 02:29 PM
NightVince
Rookie

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
Nobody answered that question because you should be doing your own research. These are your BRAKES and shouldnt be attempted but correctly performed. I shouldnt have to say how important these are

You should be using a glycol-based brake fluid (DOT 3, DOT 4, or DOT 5.1). Brake fluids with different DOT ratings can not be mixed.

This is irrelevant under normal driving conditions. (I.E.: your communte wont get "better" braking power, you wont stop faster, and you wont stop "better." What you will have is a more consistant brake response.) I suggest you educate yourself if you plan on taking on the task of doing them yourself. IMHO, if you're trying to save yourself $120 bucks from the dealer, you can (a) bring your own supplies to offset the cost or (b) find yourself a shop that will do it on the cheap.

With that being said, I replaced my Toyota Genuine Brake Fluid (DOT 3) 00475-1BF03 with StopTech STR-600 High Performance Street Brake Fluid (DOT 4) 501.00001. I tend to drive a little spiritedly on mountains and thus frequently use my brakes.

sorry for asking a question.. just wanted to learn more about our cars and wanting to save some money. thats why i tried searching around before posting and not just making a new thread on this site... its not just about the money for me i want to learn what i can about the car and thats why i joined...

i guess i should look into another site now... too bad i did like this one alot...

Night
Old 07-11-13, 03:07 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NightVince
sorry for asking a question.. just wanted to learn more about our cars and wanting to save some money. thats why i tried searching around before posting and not just making a new thread on this site... its not just about the money for me i want to learn what i can about the car and thats why i joined...

i guess i should look into another site now... too bad i did like this one alot...

Night
Old 03-06-21, 03:26 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They're all pretty much the same. Suck the old fluid out of the master cylinder reservoir. refill with fresh fluid and bleed all four calipers starting with the farthest from the master cylinder (passenger rear) and working progressively closer to the master cylinder. Just be sure you never let the reservoir get below the LOW mark or you might introduce air into the system, then bleeding becomes a huge PITA.

Some of us installed Earl's Solo Bleeders to make the bleeding process a one person job. I have these also installed on my IS F, my Supra, and the wife's Scion tC. They're easily worth their weight in gold.
Hello lobuxracer,
Wanted to confirm, when removing the existing brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir, ALL existing fluid is to be removed, or leave some in, then refill with new fluid (old fluid will be pushed out during brake bleed procedure). Wanted to confirm if removing all existing brake fluid might allow air into the system, or it will be okay so long as you don't begin bleeding with empty master cylinder reservoir?

Quick Reply: is350 Brake Fluid flush