IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
Old 01-07-15, 04:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 04:52 AM
iceache925
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

Ugh. I attempted this yesterday but I effed it up. I think it was too cold here. I'll try agaIn once it's warmer and let it dry much longer. I though 1.5 hours was long enough.

Oh, and pulling it off was a pain. Sigh.
Old 02-22-11, 08:14 AM
kikkomanrj
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaxey6622
knew id end up doing just too see
Jmaxey, is that obsidian, black onyx, or black sapphire?
Old 02-22-11, 08:33 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iceache925
Ugh. I attempted this yesterday but I effed it up. I think it was too cold here. I'll try agaIn once it's warmer and let it dry much longer. I though 1.5 hours was long enough.

how many coats did you use? it dries pretty fast. i waited about 10 mins between each coat and did about 5 coats. waited 10 mins for the last coat to dry and had no problems peeling it off.
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 AM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by iceache925

I did mine in the SF Bay Area on Saturday when it was cold and raining! Although I did it in the garage it was still 40 degrees outside. Turned out fine.

Just be sure not to spray too heavy on the sides. Otherwise it'll come off in one piece when you try to peel and you'll have to use a toothpick to excise the overspray.
Old 02-22-11, 09:13 AM
jmaxey6622
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kikkomanrj
Jmaxey, is that obsidian, black onyx, or black sapphire?
Black sapphire
Old 02-22-11, 12:49 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
how many coats did you use? it dries pretty fast. i waited about 10 mins between each coat and did about 5 coats. waited 10 mins for the last coat to dry and had no problems peeling it off.
I did 3 coats with 15 mins in between each coat. Then I waited 1.5 hours after the final coat. I may have made the coats too thick which in return messed up the removal process. I'll try it again this weekend.
Old 02-22-11, 12:50 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macmaster
I did mine in the SF Bay Area on Saturday when it was cold and raining! Although I did it in the garage it was still 40 degrees outside. Turned out fine.

Just be sure not to spray too heavy on the sides. Otherwise it'll come off in one piece when you try to peel and you'll have to use a toothpick to excise the overspray.

I'm certain I sprayed too much and it was too thick. I'll try again this weekend.
Old 02-22-11, 01:05 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

What went wrong when you removed it? It wouldn't seperate at the emblem?
Old 02-22-11, 01:51 PM
Fjaw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

has anyone tried this on anything else other than chrome? I have a 98 SLK that needs a lot of touch up for the interior (dash, arm rest and such...). I was thinking of trying this instead of using paint.
Old 02-22-11, 02:05 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ nairb has done some testing in earlier pages of this thread.

Originally Posted by nairb
Did some tests today!

Items tested: Spoon, small metal cap for a bar bell, plastic band aid dispenser

Procedure: Spray each with 1 coat, let it sit for roughly 1 minute, then sprayed once more with another coat. Total 2 coats

After I let them sit for roughly 45minutes I put them through some tests and this is what I found.

Tests:
1) Rub/press hard with tip of finder for 10 seconds
2) Place a burning match on top/in direct contact with object
3) Scrub with the rough side of a sponge

Results:
Circular Metal: Peeled right off like electric tape when I dug with my nail at the corners. There was a little bit of particle spray left over that was easily cleaned off with a sponge.
1) No problems found. Plastidip spray did not wear or discolor in any way
2) Did NOT catch on fire or burn/discolor in any way **Warning, fire is bad...please don't hurt yourself or blame me if something happens, I am just reporting my results, nothing more!**
3) Scrubbing with the rough side for more than 10 seconds with moderate pressure caused the rubber to come loose but NOT peel (kind of like an air pocket in a pizza). This was more pressure than you would everrrrr use while washing your car and needless to say you don't wash your car with rough items.

Spoon: *note, due to the odd geometry of the spoon more coats are needed to do proper testing, 2 coats on a spoon is too thin.
1) No peeling when rubbed
2) Did not test with fire because I assume it would behave similarly to the circular metal.
3) Came off easily with the sponge.

Plastic: The plastidip bonded COMPLETELY with this. I was not even able to dig it off with my nail or knife as I was the metal circle. I do not suggest spraying major pieces, like the bumper, with plastidip. Although this post shows that is easily is removed from metal, the front and back bumper are NOT metal. They are polyurithane or something like that so TEST. DO NOT assume that it will react with plastic the same way it does metal, even though there is paint as a buffer, a $20 project shouldn't threaten a $200 paint job.
1) No problems detected
2)Did not test with fire because I assume it would behave similarly to the circular metal.
3) Did not come off or alter in any way.

Conclusion: Works great on metal with a normal shape, but ample coats are needed. I would venture to guess 3-5 coast for heavy duty parts would suffice (like rims) but maybe 1-2 for a grille or accent pieces.
I would not use these for your break calipers however or exhaust due to the high temperatures / friction. Your breaks I would venture to guess would omit large amounts of CO and smell like *****.

Hope this helps! I know I was on the fence about trying this without testing so hopefully those of you like me will use this to continue with your projects or not haha.

I am definitely moving forward with my project to spray my stock rims with this in the coming weeks (gotta find a good time that I won't need to be anywhere for 4-7 hours).
Old 02-22-11, 02:11 PM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by macmaster
What went wrong when you removed it? It wouldn't seperate at the emblem?
When I was peeling it off it came off of the emblem. Also, I did spray too much on the rear L logo as there was dripping/bubbling.

When I try this weekend I'm going to do more coats but less plasti dip per coat. It'll take longer for me, but I think it will do the trick.
Old 02-22-11, 04:28 PM
jinkstuh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was wondering has anyone over-sprayed on the car? and howd they get it off? i was lazy and didnt mask off a lot =( shoulda did it right the first time.. also howd you get it off the emblems if you messed up
Old 02-22-11, 05:23 PM
SILVRLININ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

light over-spray rubs off with your finger quite easily. For those who live in cold climate, use a hair-dryer to speed up the drying process. Worked like a charm for me!
Old 02-22-11, 08:19 PM
ThermonMer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

plastidip and vinyl

Last edited by ThermonMer; 02-22-11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-23-11, 06:57 AM
iceache925
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jinkstuh
i was wondering has anyone over-sprayed on the car? and howd they get it off? i was lazy and didnt mask off a lot =( shoulda did it right the first time.. also howd you get it off the emblems if you messed up
Yup, overspray came right off by rubbing my finger on the little spots. No big deal there at all.
I was able to pull it off of the emblem. It pulls right off with a little time and fingernail/tooth pick. Just be careful. I'll be making my 2nd attempt this weekend and this time it should go right. LOL.

Quick Reply: DIY - Matte Black Emblems - Plastidip, no emblem removal required!