IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Green Digital Clock vs White Digital Clock

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-10, 11:56 PM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from the white digital clock, I personally like the green. It looks more stand out IMO.
Old 12-06-10, 07:08 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea so mines is white and I have an 09.... I think I would not like the green
Old 12-06-10, 07:42 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matt310
^actually, it does pop off and is sitting in my hands.
Completely Off Topic..

Hey what's up?
How does the RS4 compare to the IS-F? Any mods on the Audi?
Old 12-06-10, 10:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by khoab88
Coming from the white digital clock, I personally like the green. It looks more stand out IMO.
I think they both look a bit low-rent for an upscale vehicle. I'd prefer that they'd simply incorporated the clock function on the navigation screen (for vehicles so equipped). The nice thing about this design is that they could have used the time-of-day information broadcast from the GPS satellites, keeping the display atomic-clock accurate and eliminating the need to manually set the time.
Old 12-06-10, 02:27 PM
matt310
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Completely Off Topic..

Hey what's up?
How does the RS4 compare to the IS-F? Any mods on the Audi?

Hey. They're both stock. Both have their pros and cons:

The Lexus is faster, more stable at high speeds, and more stable when braking from high speeds. It's lighter and more nimble. The interior is more updated and feels more luxurious, except for the stupid clock I'm complaining about in this thread.

The transmission in the F is amazing, but also infuriating. I hate that it has to warm up completely to drop down gears like it should all the time. But it's something I can live with. The fuel economy (not that I bought this car for that) is constantly 7-8mpg better then the Audi.

For the Audi...
The seats are probably twice as comfortable as the Lexus. I'm 6'02/200 and the bottoms of the Lexus seats suck. No padding/support. Not as comfortable on road trips.

The transmission is a manual, with short gates so it's very easy to drive quickly. The 8200rpm redline tickles my soul. The Lexus engine is mighty fine too, just more 'American V8' sounding - which is just find with me since I came from a Jeep SRT-8. The brakes in the Audi, even though it's using the Lambo Gallardo's 8-pot front brembos, suck. Coupled with too much front end dive, nervous electronics, and a front-heavy nose take the fun out of slowing down for turns.

For both of them: They are both rare; the Audi is arguably better looking in a more conservative way. The Lexus looks more contemporary, and now that I'm finally used to the pipes and side vents, it's handsome. I'd say the same number of people mistake the F for an ISx50 as they do the RS for an A4 or S4. For me, that doesn't matter, as they're all good looking cars and the more I can blend in with traffic, the better.

But seriously, I have to do something about this green clock. Going to look into vinyl wrapping the whole piece to see how it looks in a matte black. Will post pics later on.
Old 12-06-10, 02:29 PM
matt310
Rookie

Originally Posted by khoab88
If you want to swap your white clock for my green one, it's really easy to do. Let me know. I'm in Santa Monica.
Old 12-06-10, 02:35 PM
VPIS350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is with the green clock? All my early Toyota/Lexus cars that I've been in were green, then came the white (which i like) but I wonder why they went back.
Old 12-06-10, 02:40 PM
matt310
Rookie

I'm guessing they switched suppliers. Or maybe there was a global shortage of white LEDs and there were a ton of "1980s green" ones
Old 01-06-11, 07:28 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The lens colour was changed from red to black in 2009. While this looks slightly better during the day because it no longer has a partial red look to it, the colour of the clock drove me nuts in my 2011.

I ordered the red clock lens from the 2007-2008 model and it fits right on. While the white clock doesn't match exactly, it looks quite a bit better than the off-green colour that it had to start with.

So much nicer.

PS: The new clock lens only costs about $5.00-10.00, not bad at all.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 01-06-11 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 08:23 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow thanks for the info jeff!

was it hard to change the clock lens?
any steps?

and i guess you got the new clock lens at the dealership parts dept?
Old 01-06-11, 08:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Yeah I ordered it from my local Lexus dealer.

It's not hard, but it's definitely going to depend on your personal skill level a lot, you need to be careful to not scratch anything, as there are quite a few opportunities.

I have a manual, so the order is slightly different, other people have posted how to take the radio out on autos before. Basically you remove the cupholder, then the shift ****/boot, then the ash tray (2 screws), and the vent above the radio/climate control (so easy to break clips on this! Be careful!). Then you remove the radio/climate control assembly, remove the side brackets and separate the climate control/nav from the radio (pull forward on the upper section). You then take off the rear cover and unplug the wiring to the clock. Once that is done you take the screws out around the climate control and clock, and separate them, once this is done you can pull the clock lens off. Installation is reverse of course.

Navigation systems come apart differently (there are holes in the clock face to release stuff, and so on). I don't have nav so I'm not intimately familiar.

Jeff
Old 01-06-11, 08:42 PM
SilentWish
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

woah thanks for the detailed steps jeff!

haha i don't have nav either don't worry
although i'd love to have that big screen there to look nicer (but not for $7000 more)

i'll see if i can get around doing this! haha
if i do take out the entire center console i'll probably wanna switch out the green lights for white lights too!
doesn't the green lights on the buttons bother you?? :P
Old 01-06-11, 09:08 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

2007 is250 WHITE CLOCK
Old 01-06-11, 10:06 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

White clock here too
Old 01-06-11, 10:59 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by SilentWish
I'll probably wanna switch out the green lights for white lights too!
doesn't the green lights on the buttons bother you?? :P
It does a bit, but I can live with having white and green I guess. Having white, green and weird clock colour was just too much! Haha.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Green Digital Clock vs White Digital Clock