IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

got in a minor fender bender

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 09:11 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default got in a minor fender bender

hey guys. i backed up into a parked car in a tight parking lot. i wasnt even pressing the gas pedal i guess the power in the is350 just took me. i wasnt paying attention to my backup camera, instead i was looking at the suv on my right side trying not to hit that. that is when i hit the car behind me. then the parking sensors beep lol. honestly i didnt even feel me hit the car i just heard it. i left a dent in the lady's car while only the left corner on my back bumper has scratches. the cop came and just gave me a verbal warning on backing up and he gave her a case number. she has my info for insurance and phone number. my question is if she doesnt take it to insurance and i pay for it out of pocket will this still go on my driving record since the cop has a case number? so if i get a quote from all state lets say will they be able to see this?

also if my insurance fixes it how much will it go up? it looks like less than a 1000 in damages for her car. im going to get someone to paint my car for me.
Old 03-31-10, 09:21 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if she doesnt take it to insurance, it wont go on your record. either you or her have to report it to the insurance, the cops wont report it to insurance
Old 03-31-10, 09:24 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

cool thanks
Old 03-31-10, 09:31 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

that sucks man! hope that it all gets resolved soon, but id advise against reporting it yourself. if she doesnt report it, it wont go on your record. some people will say its not worth it to get whatever damage to their car repaired simply because its their only means of transportation. ive been in a similar situation, and i was so dumb by reporting the accident myself (the other party did not report it, as there wasnt that much damage to his car). bad idea to incriminate yourself...
Old 03-31-10, 09:32 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

oh yea how will i know if she reports it to insurance will they contact me? i think it may be better if she doesnt i have a 1000 deduc. if the total damage is less than 1000 i pay for it and get screwed if she reports it lol
Old 03-31-10, 09:33 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think ur insurance rates would go up a specific amount if she reports it. A lot of variables. I would ask how this happend even wit ur back up camera... but I almost did that same thing.
Old 03-31-10, 09:33 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
that sucks man! hope that it all gets resolved soon, but id advise against reporting it yourself. if she doesnt report it, it wont go on your record. some people will say its not worth it to get whatever damage to their car repaired simply because its their only means of transportation. ive been in a similar situation, and i was so dumb by reporting the accident myself (the other party did not report it, as there wasnt that much damage to his car). bad idea to incriminate yourself...
thanks man. i was kind of hoping she doesnt report it lol. im not. she got a hit and run before. i have a good job in law enforcement so i did the right thing and stayed and found her in the doctors office working.
Old 03-31-10, 09:35 PM
greg0723
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
I don't think ur insurance rates would go up a specific amount if she reports it. A lot of variables. I would ask how this happend even wit ur back up camera... but I almost did that same thing.
i wasnt paying my backup camera attention. i was looking at the suv on my right side trying not to hit it with my front passenger side bumper. i was driving tired not 100% attentive. i regret it. having a wild 2yr old and a sick pregnant wife and working 16 hrs at work caught up to me :-(
Old 04-01-10, 12:21 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

This sounds like me lol. The first tiem I backed up the car I bumped my bro. Not as bad as you but I never really drove somthing this fast. I wasnt used to even having a backup can so I forgot to look at it. It wont happen again.
Old 04-01-10, 11:59 AM
lilbluu
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if she reports it, its on your record as an accident regardless of amount paid. if you have a company that has accident forgiveness for the first time, your rates should not change. if you dont have that, then, your rates will go up depending on age. i was 16 when i got into my first accident, insurance premiums still stay on record for 3-5 years. and my insurance jumped from 1600/year to 3000/year. wasnt fun paying for that. try to get her not to report it.
Old 04-01-10, 04:41 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by greg0723
hey guys. i backed up into a parked car in a tight parking lot. i wasnt even pressing the gas pedal i guess the power in the is350 just took me. i wasnt paying attention to my backup camera, instead i was looking at the suv on my right side trying not to hit that. that is when i hit the car behind me. then the parking sensors beep lol. honestly i didnt even feel me hit the car i just heard it. i left a dent in the lady's car while only the left corner on my back bumper has scratches. the cop came and just gave me a verbal warning on backing up and he gave her a case number. she has my info for insurance and phone number. my question is if she doesnt take it to insurance and i pay for it out of pocket will this still go on my driving record since the cop has a case number? so if i get a quote from all state lets say will they be able to see this?

also if my insurance fixes it how much will it go up? it looks like less than a 1000 in damages for her car. im going to get someone to paint my car for me.

Call her up and tell her you're going to pay for the repairs yourself and a little bit extra for the trouble.

Should save u money in the long run if your premium skyrocket.
Old 04-01-10, 08:01 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Well if she takes it to your insurance, you will have to pay your collision premium. If this happens your insurance will go up. Plus since you paid your insurance you can take your car in to have "professionally" fix (even if its a minor scratch). It's already on your insurance record and might as well take advantage of your policy. I doubt that it will go on your driving record.