IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vibrating in "D"???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 12:46 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Can almost guess its because the engine is throwing LEAN codes. I've been experiencing this phenonmenon while working on my prototype intake.

You probably have UNMETERED air being sucked in past the MAF sensor causing your air/fuel ratio to be outta whack. The system will throw the engine codes and trip the vsc lights, however it wont actually affect engine output. And what I mean by this is that the engine seems to run perfectly fine, but traction control becomes disabled. Or the exact opposite can happen whereby the engine wont run at all and the traction control wont allow you to accelerate. Its very strange, I know.

Although, from my research....I've found that a multitude of problems can cause the VSC/CHECK ENG christmas tree to light up in the same way. From incorrect cam timing, "loose" cam wires, ecu malfunction, and lastly, incorrect maf sensor readings.

In my personal experience its always been the maf readings. Do you know if the service department checked all the vacuum lines and clamps for the intake?

Also, when you say its vibrating, does the entier vehicle vibrate or just the shifter?
Old 02-12-10, 11:43 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06isDriver
I Can almost guess its because the engine is throwing LEAN codes. I've been experiencing this phenonmenon while working on my prototype intake.

You probably have UNMETERED air being sucked in past the MAF sensor causing your air/fuel ratio to be outta whack. The system will throw the engine codes and trip the vsc lights, however it wont actually affect engine output. And what I mean by this is that the engine seems to run perfectly fine, but traction control becomes disabled. Or the exact opposite can happen whereby the engine wont run at all and the traction control wont allow you to accelerate. Its very strange, I know.

Although, from my research....I've found that a multitude of problems can cause the VSC/CHECK ENG christmas tree to light up in the same way. From incorrect cam timing, "loose" cam wires, ecu malfunction, and lastly, incorrect maf sensor readings.

In my personal experience its always been the maf readings. Do you know if the service department checked all the vacuum lines and clamps for the intake?

Also, when you say its vibrating, does the entier vehicle vibrate or just the shifter?

06isDriver,

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense what your saying. The entire car vibrates not so much the shifter, but I can feel it in the shifter because the rest of the car is vibrating. Also, I notice a few "blips" here and there while it vibrates, almost like a slight misfire or something...very unusual. So you think it might be with the MAF? I am taking the car in this Wednesday and the service manager said he will put an 09' IS350 next to mine and we will compare the two cars' idles. This should be interesting... I am almost certain its something with a loose vacuum hose or bad MAF...Lexus motors should not idle like this....at least not at 26k miles. I'll keep you posted bro...thanks!
Old 02-18-10, 02:48 PM
ajfinoak
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please be sure to post if you come up with a fix for this. My 08 250 with 18K miles has been having an intermittent drop in rpm to about 500 resulting in a very noticeable vibration in the steering while in D and no A/C running adn fully warmed up. Dealer has not been able to replicate but says there have been other reports of this and they awaiting a fix from Lexus. Very annoying for a "luxury" car.
Old 02-18-10, 05:45 PM
Lancer2.4
Driver School Candidate

My wife's car was doing this in Rockford the other day while I was driving. It would start to vibrate at a red light. Once it was green, I would accelerate, then the Check VSC light came on and I couldn't get it above 4K rpms. It was terrible. It probably upset a lot of people because it was accelerating like a moped with 2hp. It didn't make me happy at all.

I bought a can of Sea Foam, poured it in the fuel tank, then filled her up with 93 Octane fuel and haven't had a problem since. Maybe try to do a clean up or run some injector cleaner through it. Can't hurt....
Good luck with it!
Old 02-19-10, 09:50 AM
teracon
Driver

Default Third Time for Me

Yesterday (67,750 miles) the VSC, Engine and TRAC lights came on. After 2 hrs, the dealer reflashed the ECU - all ok. This morning, they all came back on.

This is the third time since 58,000 miles. The dealer is saying that it may have to do with the aftermarket intake. I have had it on since mile 22 and never had any problems. May have to resort to swapping it for the stock intake and take it back in.

Seems like a plethora of problems!!!
Old 02-21-10, 07:19 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

UPDATE:

Check out the recent thread I posted:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-s...-resolved.html

Good luck!