IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Staggered setup on AWD ! - The Mother Thread - !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 07:52 PM
tboy620
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 07 IS250AWD running 18X8 on 225/40/18 all round currently. I want to get a set of TE37 18X9 +25. I would run those on 225/40.18 F and 255/40/18 R. My question is will they fit on stock height without rubbing? And I'd prefer not to roll/pull my fenders unless I absolutely have to.

Need advice please
Old 06-23-15, 07:02 PM
betox01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xredgiex
Here is my AWD on Megan EZ maxed out. For anyone interested in getting the Megan EZ with plans of slamming it on an aggressive setup...Don't. Get something with a stiffer spring rate. Otherwise, they're great for daily driving.
Front 19x9 et24 215/35/19
Rear 19x10 et24 225/35/19

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics. Don't really do the car justice

longshot bro but were you running adapters? if so what size or where did you get them? because I'm running 1" adapters and they vibrate a little when I'm going about 70mph... they are hub centric to when car itself just not the wheels..
Old 08-06-15, 07:04 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody please help. I have a 2012 IS250 AWD. I'm getting Niche 157 19" with 35 offset all around even. Tires are 225/35/19 is this ok without rubbing or damaging my AWD system? I'm dropped on h&r sport spring 1.5". Once again please my main concern is am I in the right numbers? Not far off?
Old 09-19-15, 10:45 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

Default Pro shop potentially put all wrong wheels and tires on

My tires config Staggered
Brand INVO
F: 245/30 ZR20 90W
R: 270/30 ZR10 97W

Wheel: Vossen CV7

Here is the odd thing, I bought these from a 2010 IS 250 owner at the shop. I had the guy test drive me in his car with the wheels on the car to get a feel of how it would handle/feel.

All good Im thinking, even feels better then mine, his is stock mine is stock.

They install them on mine. They pull up, looks great.
I drive two blocks, engine light, tracktion light, caution light with "Check VSC" all go on. Traction light can't be shutt of. Manual says this is unsafe to drive with the Caution light and VSC check on.

The guy before the job is complete, tells me hey yaa its a staggered set up and the net will say on AWD it can be problematic but you drove the other Lexus and we do it all the time so obviously not a big deal. So Im thinking about,

I didn't know jack didley squat about staggered, offsets, wheel specks etc till today. I mean yaa I have a basic understanding of larger wheels, wider tires, more surface area, better handling etc..Can someone tell me if this config is even remotely correct or how I might want to adjust it? When I punch the specks into the tire calculator its so far off that I think I must of wrote the specks wrong.
Old 09-20-15, 09:30 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can we run the same wheels and tires all the way around, but stagger the offsets? For example 19x8.5 +30 front, +25 rear? Without any problems in the future?
Old 09-21-15, 05:09 PM
StevesIS25
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jchitown
My tires config Staggered
Brand INVO
F: 245/30 ZR20 90W
R: 270/30 ZR10 97W

Wheel: Vossen CV7

Here is the odd thing, I bought these from a 2010 IS 250 owner at the shop. I had the guy test drive me in his car with the wheels on the car to get a feel of how it would handle/feel.

All good Im thinking, even feels better then mine, his is stock mine is stock.

They install them on mine. They pull up, looks great.
I drive two blocks, engine light, tracktion light, caution light with "Check VSC" all go on. Traction light can't be shutt of. Manual says this is unsafe to drive with the Caution light and VSC check on.

The guy before the job is complete, tells me hey yaa its a staggered set up and the net will say on AWD it can be problematic but you drove the other Lexus and we do it all the time so obviously not a big deal. So Im thinking about,

I didn't know jack didley squat about staggered, offsets, wheel specks etc till today. I mean yaa I have a basic understanding of larger wheels, wider tires, more surface area, better handling etc..Can someone tell me if this config is even remotely correct or how I might want to adjust it? When I punch the specks into the tire calculator its so far off that I think I must of wrote the specks wrong.

Do not drive it!! Go right back and tell them to put on 235/35r20 front and 275/30r20 assuming u meant r20 on both sizes. I have been running the same but on 19 inch rims with no problems.
Search tire calculator or tire size converter on Google and it will give u a variety of even size tires to run front to back. It's VERY important to run the same overall rolling diameter. And u will be fine. The forums have been very helpful to me when I decided to go staggered. Just search "safe staggered tire sizes" or something of that nature. Good luck
Old 10-23-15, 11:39 AM
mb613
Driver School Candidate

Regretting the choice of running staggered on my AWD I250. Ever since I put them on ive had a bearing, axle and now differential go in the rear, all within a few months. Ran the recommended setup of 235/35/19 and 275/30/19.
Old 10-25-15, 08:20 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mb613
Regretting the choice of running staggered on my AWD I250. Ever since I put them on ive had a bearing, axle and now differential go in the rear, all within a few months. Ran the recommended setup of 235/35/19 and 275/30/19.
What year and how many miles? I'm thinking that this may not all be from the wheels and tires. Are you the first and only owner?

Curious what it cost to replace the differential, was it the rear, center?
What exactly indicated to you that it needed to be checked or replaced?
Old 10-25-15, 08:37 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StevesIS25
Do not drive it!! Go right back and tell them to put on 235/35r20 front and 275/30r20 assuming u meant r20 on both sizes. I have been running the same but on 19 inch rims with no problems.
Search tire calculator or tire size converter on Google and it will give u a variety of even size tires to run front to back. It's VERY important to run the same overall rolling diameter. And u will be fine. The forums have been very helpful to me when I decided to go staggered. Just search "safe staggered tire sizes" or something of that nature. Good luck
Problem might be, being I have 20's, there maybe no room for the 26.5 diameter in the front. This is definitely an optimal set up as it yields a 26.5 diameter on all wheels. Not only that, the extra thickness will soften the now stiff ride I have. Although sorry to say these IS250's really don't have that suspension that I thought Lexus was so known for. My first owned Lexus, I did drive a 90k lexus and I thought the thing was floating on the street..LOL
Old 10-27-15, 01:37 PM
mb613
Driver School Candidate

What year and how many miles? I'm thinking that this may not all be from the wheels and tires. Are you the first and only owner?

Curious what it cost to replace the differential, was it the rear, center?
What exactly indicated to you that it needed to be checked or replaced?

2nd owner, 2006, purchased it off an older lady bone stock. It has 76000 miles now. All was good til I put the 19s on. Its the rear 4.10 diff that went bad, pic attached. It was whining then I noticed this giant leak. Costing me under 1k installed from a junkyard(part $500-labour approx $350-400).
Attached Thumbnails Staggered setup on AWD  ! - The Mother Thread - !-v8q64w.jpg  
Old 10-27-15, 03:09 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

THats a good picture. Low miles for a 2006, I have about 78k on a 2007.
Thats got me thinking, my uncle who is top mechanic for more then 40 years
said that the Lexus has some drive train issues in general and mentioned that Im right about, miles wise where you would at least want to consider changing the fluid and adding the gear additive before blaming the wheels.
What doesnt makes sense is you have the wheels that are in the correct speck range. I do not.

I'm wondering what are the miles that Lexus recommends that go on the drive train before changing the differential fluid?

Mine is not squeaking but maybe each type of wheel issue can cause different stresses on the differentials. What doesn't make sense is if kept making right turns or left turns the outside wheels are going to move at a rolling diameter that is substantially different then the inside wheels.

This vid helps a little:
Old 10-27-15, 03:32 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

BTW my uncle is located in another state so...Figured people might be wondering why
I wouldn't just have him look at it. Strangely enough he was not completely sure if my set up would truly cause differential failure and he works on all cars, including performance cars.

Like I said the mechanics at the dealership said "shouldn't be a problem"
shouldn't isn't the best response IMO.
Old 10-27-15, 03:36 PM
mb613
Driver School Candidate

BTW my uncle is located in another state so...Figured people might be wondering why
I wouldn't just have him look at it. Strangely enough he was not completely sure if my set up would truly cause differential failure and he works on all cars, including performance cars.

Like I said the mechanics at the dealership said "shouldn't be a problem"
shouldn't isn't the best response IMO.

Yeah id like to not blame the tires on the failure. I think the gasket failed due to the dropping temperature in Canada which caused the leak.. I was set to change the diff oil soon. Oh well.
Old 10-27-15, 03:43 PM
jchitown
Driver School Candidate

I might go get the fluid changed tomorrow, now its my understanding that there should be some metal in the fluid and thats normal. Although if its a lot, which Im not sure how I would determine, then there is a real problem. I presuming the metal should only be fine bits. Does anyone know how to gauge this?

According to my Sears guy, these guys mainly do brakes, suspensions, tires only. He put my ride on a lift and said at one time or another there was some fluid leaking. I looked at it and could not tell if it was new or old. I guess I can clean it really well and take a picture and then monitor it.
Old 11-14-15, 05:31 PM
Bkhectic
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Help guys. I'm being offered wheels for a good price. 235 35 19 with 10 offset all around. Is this safe for my 2012 is250 AWD???

Quick Reply: Staggered setup on AWD ! - The Mother Thread - !