Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 01:49 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Lets keep this simple & friendly.

I have No Argument here..

I simply posted some facts for those who don’t know what the consequences can be for over inflated tires in general.

When you say “Uh... we know that. This is nothing new...”, in actuality this is Very new for some members and/or car owners out there..

So its Very important that people here understand why car / tire manufactures post a “Recommended” tire pressure.

The "Max Psi" rating of a tire will never change.
Regardless if the Air inside the Tire is Cool or Hot.

As a semi-experienced drag racer myself, we usually raise the Fronts to the low-mid 40psi, depending on outside temps and the Rears get dropped to around 32psi or lower, again depending on outside temps for better traction.

We thank you for posting that not everyone should follow what you do..

Regards,

Joe Z

Originally Posted by meowCat
Uh... we know that. This is nothing new. Please stop talking to me like I'm a newbie. I wasn't implying put 55 psi pressure on tires. Let's get realistic here. The max pressure these tires can handle is around 52~ 54 psi. 40 psi isn't anywhere near it. It is higher pressure than what the manufacturer recommends, but it's not over-inflated to a point where it will cause uneven tire wear and cause any other serious problems.

And I know about the increased heat (especially in the summer) causes the air to expand, result in increased air pressure in the tire. You suppose to set the tire pressure accordingly, depending on the weather situation and temperatures.

Not quite..... I corrected JoeZ about the point I was getting acrossed. And JoeZ wasn't referring to 40 psi specifically. 40 psi is not too high. As already said by me, it is above what manufacturer recommends but provides reasonable decrease in rolling resistance while not sacrificing tire wear and reduced traction for everyday driving. I've been using 40 psi's on tires (both low and high profile tires) on just about all of previous cars I have owned and never gave me signs of excessive uneven wear. Didn't have traction problem either. You wanna worry about uneven wear on the threads, watch your driving habits. That's where you gonna get more uneven wear.

This is ridiculous...... I can't believe you guys make me argue over this. This method even applies to drag racing. Go ask the experienced drag racers here in clublexus (ToothDoc, Caymandiver, juice14, etc). They will also tell you they use higher tire pressure to get better trap speeds in the quarter mile. It maybe more challenging to get grip from the start but you will get the advantage once you get it going and your trap speed will increase. You can get better performance rated tires to help with the traction/grip for this application. It is the idea, concept that you all need to understand. If you guys don't get it now, you will realize and learn eventually..