IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealership trying to blame me?! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-09, 05:25 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealership trying to blame me?! Help!

I took my IS350 to the dealer 2 days ago for abnormal brake noise. This is the second time this has happened. The first time they tried to tell me it was normal until they test drove it and realized it wasn't. They replaced my pads under warranty, which was in the summer. This time it started to do it again so it turns out there was a recall for some brake parts. I got a call this morning saying that my car was ready, but that it could have to do with my driving style..They were saying that I could brake too often and the rotors look prematurely discolored?? I've had a honda for 3 years and never had one issue like this with the brakes. They told me I should consider downshifting?? (it's an auto transmission). Do they expect me to stop braking while I drive or something b/c I don't think I brake any more than the avg. driver.

Does it sound like the dealer is trying to put the blame on me so that they don't have to deal with this problem if it comes up again? Shouldn't they replace the rotors if that seems to be the problem? Let me know what you think.
Old 02-04-09, 06:22 AM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Tell them that you are using the brakes what they are designed to do, brake the car. How do you "brake too often"? Unless you are resting your foot on the brake pedal while driving then the issue is the braking system not you.
Old 02-04-09, 06:22 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

discoloration has nothing to do with the brakes being bad. If they were warped that would mean you were ridding the brakes. If they say they are glazed which is highly possible, but that can be due to many reasons like rain or overheating.

I would contact the corporate office and let them know what they said to you. That way you have documentation that they said that too you!
Old 02-04-09, 06:30 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

When I spoke to him on the phone, he did say that they were discolored due to overheating. What does that mean exactly b/c I don't trust what the dealer tells me really. Shouldn't the dealer change the rotors if they think that's where the problem is coming from?
Old 02-04-09, 06:46 AM
Jsy622
Driver School Candidate

Okay so I just got off the phone with the tech. He didn't say that I used my brakes too often, but that I might be braking to hard. They did say the rotors are glazed due to overheating. He told me the brake pads were changed last time under warranty, so there is nothing that can be done under warranty this time. So basically I feel like they don't know what the problem is so they are blaming it on my driving style. He said most times people are driving hard and racing, and complain when the brakes are squeaking. I really baby my car and rarely brake hard. What do you guys think I should say? I feel like this problem should be covered under warranty.
Old 02-04-09, 08:47 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what kind of noise was it making? and when they changed the pads, did they give you the alternative brake pads that produce less brake dust?
Old 02-04-09, 10:00 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wasn't there just a recall on the rear brakes and the pin? I was told at the dealer that this was an issue with 06 and this sounds to be your issue. If the caliper was sticking and your pads where constantly rubbing and over heating your rotors and wearing your pads down. They need to replace the pads and rotors as part of the recall and cover it under warranty. We have a local member that this same thing happened due to that pin on a RX300. It took a few minutes before the rotor was almost damaged from the heat/friction.

You need to fight this IMO and call the local Lexus Rep about it and possibly contact another dealer.
Old 02-04-09, 10:28 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take it to another dealer.
Old 02-04-09, 10:48 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AM1
take it to another dealer.
+1 go somewhere else and see what they say. If all else fails ask to speak to a manager and raise hell.
Old 02-04-09, 11:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsy622
They were saying that I could brake too often and the rotors look prematurely discolored??

Does it sound like the dealer is trying to put the blame on me so that they don't have to deal with this problem if it comes up again? Shouldn't they replace the rotors if that seems to be the problem? Let me know what you think.
That is absurd.

If you don't brake often enough, will they take responsibility if you rear-end a car?

Honestly, the dealer should not blame you, but rather determine an appropriate cause of the problem. His excuse/rationale is inappropriate.