IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dunlop SP Sport warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 06:08 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dunlop SP Sport warrenty

I had a tire blow up last night, yes it blew up. BANG! No signs of any abnormal wear, the side wall split. I've never seen this before. This is a factory wheel and tire with aprox. 10k miles. No warning at all. Does anyone know if the dealer will cover this?
It's a Dunlop SP Sport 5000m
225/42/17
Old 12-17-08, 08:05 AM
Mr. IS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would give the dealership a call and def. let them know. If it just split on you there should be some sort of warranty I would think. How long have you owned the car for?
Old 12-17-08, 08:11 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires are warranteed by the tire manufacturer, but your Lexus dealer should be able to handle it for you. That would be my first stop.
Old 12-17-08, 08:19 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

The dealer will give you a road hazard war. if you buy a tire from them , but not if you bought the entire car. How F"ed is that. They want $225 + for the tire. I found it @ the tire rack.
F the stealers! And they wonder why they are all sinking. I could care less if they all went under. I like bikes better anyway.
Old 12-18-08, 01:23 PM
DubK250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big *****
The dealer will give you a road hazard war. if you buy a tire from them , but not if you bought the entire car. How F"ed is that. They want $225 + for the tire. I found it @ the tire rack.
F the stealers! And they wonder why they are all sinking. I could care less if they all went under. I like bikes better anyway.
LOLs
ROLF!!!
Old 12-18-08, 03:56 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big *****
Tirerack/Discount Tire all day.

from the price of the cars to the service, they always bust *****
F those damn stealers!
Old 12-22-08, 12:39 PM
ajmtbm
Pole Position

there is no road hazard on factory tires, but if the sidewall split it could possibly be a defect in the tire which is covered. If the deler doesnt give you satisfaction maybe corporate will - you just need to convince them you didnt run anything over I would think.
Old 12-22-08, 01:13 PM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajmtbm
there is no road hazard on factory tires, but if the sidewall split it could possibly be a defect in the tire which is covered. If the deler doesnt give you satisfaction maybe corporate will - you just need to convince them you didnt run anything over I would think.
Tire Rack...$123 , my buddy mounted and balanced it for free...
The cost of taking time off work to go argue with a stealer, while I drive around at 45 mph on the donut...not worth the rage it would cause me.
I'd sooner pay the money and learn my lesson. The dealer, no matter which one will not stand behind the product unless you fight.
Old 12-22-08, 03:31 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Hoping it makes you feel better to know that something caused the tire to lose enough air to make it unable to support the weight of the car THEN it came apart as a result. You rarely see it and after the tire comes apart its impossible to figure out what happened but tires have not blownout because of defects in about 30 years. Road hazard warrantys are insurance you can pay for before an incidant. I never pay for this insurance
Old 12-22-08, 04:32 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
Hoping it makes you feel better to know that something caused the tire to lose enough air to make it unable to support the weight of the car THEN it came apart as a result. You rarely see it and after the tire comes apart its impossible to figure out what happened but tires have not blownout because of defects in about 30 years. Road hazard warrantys are insurance you can pay for before an incidant. I never pay for this insurance
What he said, probably the most likely cause, or road hazard (not covered by warranty unless you purchase the coverage). Yes Road hgazards can take out a sidewall, it happened to me in an LX470
Old 12-23-08, 09:55 PM
Tangerine
Driver

I'm having issues with the stock tires, one has a slow leak and the other has a giant bubble on it. I have around 12k miles on the car. I'm guessing its pointless to argue with the dealership. Anyone else having similar issues with the Dunlop SP Sports 5000? And what is a good tire for replacement? Was thinking Hankook Ventrus.
Old 12-24-08, 05:32 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

The bubble concerns me. My tire actually popped. After I replaced it, I checked the tire,and you can see where the rubber seperated from the cords. It was on side wall on the inside of the right rear tire. I will try and take some pics in the next few days. It may have been an issue with the tire getting low , and putting odd stresses on the the side walls, but my pressure sensor was only on for a few minutes. And nowthat I think about it it really smelled like burnt rubber, and the inner fender liner was maved around, I just thought that was from the explosion. There was probably a bubble that wore on the inner fender...
And it wasn't completly flat when it popped, it wasn't even down to the rim or anything. very Odd.