IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Suggested CarPlay Stereo and sound system for 2011 IS250

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-22, 10:42 PM
stabies
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggested CarPlay Stereo and sound system for 2011 IS250

So I recently dragged my old 2011 Lexus IS250 through the process of getting registered/titled in California after a few years of COVID and PCS error hiccups. I could finally get rid of my damn Honda lease(&#128532 and free up some cash for myself and I am looking to make this car a keeper like I intended originally. Right now with the profit from selling the Accord I’m looking to install a new stereo system that has Apple CarPlay and reverse camera capabilities(damn is250 rear end is so tall &#128514 and a premium sound system(thinking like Klipsch/Bose/JBL). However, after going on Crutchfield.com and typing in my model, Crutchfield determined my car has the Mark Levinson sound system installed and that I should not try to replace the stereo. I was wondering is there a specific reason that it wouldn’t be advisable to replace the stereo system? Are the pieces/wiring/connections different than normal audio setups? Is it just super difficult to replace this stereo comparatively or is Crutchfield advising against it for another reason? I would love some feedback on this(;and also I’m looking to install some aftermarket parts to increase the longevity of the Lexus. Like I said I want her to be a keeper and I am looking to make sure the suspension is a-fairly rocksteady for daily driving years to come, and b-a little sporty. I was thinking some coilovers and sway bars and things like that. The back left strut is actually leaking right now so I need to start with that, and if you have any suggestions for that it would be greatly appreciated&#128513
Old 10-16-22, 11:13 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The stereo also controls your HVAC system, so you can't just replace it with anything.

The only alternative is to find a Chinese android stereo......and since you have the ML system, it complicates matters.....you'll have to make sure the Chinese android stereo is compatible with the ML system.
Old 10-17-22, 03:42 PM
stabies
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by valeoray
The stereo also controls your HVAC system, so you can't just replace it with anything.

The only alternative is to find a Chinese android stereo......and since you have the ML system, it complicates matters.....you'll have to make sure the Chinese android stereo is compatible with the ML system.
Hmm that does sound problematic. I saw something like that on here before. I think I saw someone talk about maybe removing the chip that actually controls the AC and wiring it up to a newer stereo that also had climate control options. I might look into that
Old 10-20-22, 08:25 AM
rixY
3rd Gear

So personally I have a 2011 is350 and idk if it would fit a 250 but I’d look into the Vline Grom Unit. It is pricey but damn it’s been great so far. I’ve had it for almost 2 months and haven’t had a single issue with it. Setting it up is a bit tedious but besides that it has been my favorite thing I’ve done so far.
Old 10-20-22, 12:59 PM
stabies
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rixY
So personally I have a 2011 is350 and idk if it would fit a 250 but I’d look into the Vline Grom Unit. It is pricey but damn it’s been great so far. I’ve had it for almost 2 months and haven’t had a single issue with it. Setting it up is a bit tedious but besides that it has been my favorite thing I’ve done so far.
I’ll definitely take a look at it. Did it allow you to keep AC/steering wheel controls? What was tedious about installation?
Old 10-20-22, 02:27 PM
rixY
3rd Gear

All of the oem controls still work perfectly, I personally do not mess with anything wire related on my car so I paid a local audio shop about $225 for the install. And for me that was worth it. There are tons of tutorials online if you are more comfortable with it though.
Old 10-22-22, 04:20 AM
Lexie250
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, so recently researched quite heavily into this topic.

Aryan Leekha
Owner of is250 2006 Prestige model

Not sure if my car has the mark Levinson system or not. As far as I am aware, I have the nav model. This unit controls the Air con as seen by a harness which attaches the headunit to aircon at the back.
If you are like me, and know the capabilities of replacing units in older cars, you would be mindful that the GROM Line V2 uses the same (old) nav unit. Which would conclude that it is significantly slower now (because of age). Plus id probably sell the car before I have to pay 1.5 grand (AUD) for a module that uses factory chip.

So I researched and found the 6.5 inch headunit brackets up for $350 (AUD). Personally, it looks like **** lol, who wants to have 2 headunits, especially when 1 of them is non usable for pretty much everything. LINK: https://advancedice.com.au/products/1396/

Another option is good old aero pro facia kits. I would personally go for this option in every other car, but.... 1.5k(AUD) for a facia kit......no thank you. This would be the cleanest option out of all these which is extremely reliable, very fast but expensive. LINK: https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...s250-2006-2009

So now its upto China to give us a reliable, quick option, which is cheap. AND THEY HAVE PULLED THROUGH.

Now, as far as I am aware there are 2 kinds to this.

There is a 10 inch Android unit which replaces the factory oem unit, whilst also being attached to a clean facia kit. The con with this item however, is that you loose the defrost functionality as it simply doesn't have a button to. Now, there is no 1 true link to this product, many Chinese manufacturers can make this for you. All you need to be aware of is that it looks like this. (NOTE: there are dials on this one)

However, I have been told multiple times, it will not fit a nav model is250,
Oh, did I say it will not? Well, there is no install guide. Nobody's tried yet, because china keeps saying no. But, some have succeeded. I personally, dont want to try as there is limited resources for this.

HOWEVER, my last option was a 9 inch display which is fairly new from china.

9 Inch Display to suit Lexus is250 Nav model.

I found a unit, which only replaces the nav unit itself, it is apple CarPlay, has all the goodies and it works perfectly plug and play!

I have just ordered mine and will be making a YouTube video on the install and info on it.

Again, many manufacturers can make this for you in china, all you need to be worried about is how this device looks like.

This unit, looks exactly like OEM, however, it very powerful, plug and play. AND retains all factory components.

However, 1 minor side not that some nav models came with a fibre optic cable for the reverse camera output. No headunit will be able to retain this type of wiring to the reverse camera, so china told me that if I have the fibre optic camera, they will provide a new reverse camera at no cost. See photo for how to tell your Lexus IS is fibre optic reverse camera.

Thank fully, I do not have a fibre optic reverse camera. As far as I am aware, even china said. This device can replace a mark Levinson Nav model as well.

As far as I am aware, a $300 (AUD) investment into this, is quite worth it. however, there is nobody else on this forum that has posted on this. If there is please link the thread!

I will keep a thread up of my own on this topic and keep updating it!

Old 10-22-22, 10:43 AM
valeoray
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I bought the same looking stereo:

I am currently having some issues with it and the vendor says they are working on a new software:

1) The radio is louder than the navigation and cannot be changed.
2) The air conditioning screen pops up whenever it feels like, so it has to be disabled and a floating button is used to access it. This is acceptable if there aren't other problems.
3) The LED's on the HVAC buttons are too dim to see.
4) The original CD plays, but jumps to the home screen and back to the CD screen and the music gets interrupted several times.
5) The radio app for the original radio does not work.. FM does not go above 97.6 and you cannot save any stations. The search buttons on the screen do not work, but the physical search buttons on the CD work. I tried three different canbus apk files from the vendor and it still doesn't work. The new radio app works, but the radio didn't come with an antenna adapter. I prefer to use the new stereo radio anyways. I had ordered an antenna adapter.
6) Two or three times, the stereo cannot boot up and ended up doing a factory reset by itself. I hope this will not happen again.
7) The door open indicator sometimes does not go off.
8) Carplay and Android auto ........the music or radio stops after the navigation speaks.
Old 07-02-23, 10:06 AM
KhanhNguyen
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Lexie250
Okay, so recently researched quite heavily into this topic.

Aryan Leekha
Owner of is250 2006 Prestige model

Not sure if my car has the mark Levinson system or not. As far as I am aware, I have the nav model. This unit controls the Air con as seen by a harness which attaches the headunit to aircon at the back.
If you are like me, and know the capabilities of replacing units in older cars, you would be mindful that the GROM Line V2 uses the same (old) nav unit. Which would conclude that it is significantly slower now (because of age). Plus id probably sell the car before I have to pay 1.5 grand (AUD) for a module that uses factory chip.

So I researched and found the 6.5 inch headunit brackets up for $350 (AUD). Personally, it looks like **** lol, who wants to have 2 headunits, especially when 1 of them is non usable for pretty much everything. LINK: https://advancedice.com.au/products/1396/

Another option is good old aero pro facia kits. I would personally go for this option in every other car, but.... 1.5k(AUD) for a facia kit......no thank you. This would be the cleanest option out of all these which is extremely reliable, very fast but expensive. LINK: https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/...s250-2006-2009

So now its upto China to give us a reliable, quick option, which is cheap. AND THEY HAVE PULLED THROUGH.

Now, as far as I am aware there are 2 kinds to this.

There is a 10 inch Android unit which replaces the factory oem unit, whilst also being attached to a clean facia kit. The con with this item however, is that you loose the defrost functionality as it simply doesn't have a button to. Now, there is no 1 true link to this product, many Chinese manufacturers can make this for you. All you need to be aware of is that it looks like this. (NOTE: there are dials on this one)

However, I have been told multiple times, it will not fit a nav model is250,
Oh, did I say it will not? Well, there is no install guide. Nobody's tried yet, because china keeps saying no. But, some have succeeded. I personally, dont want to try as there is limited resources for this.

HOWEVER, my last option was a 9 inch display which is fairly new from china.

9 Inch Display to suit Lexus is250 Nav model.

I found a unit, which only replaces the nav unit itself, it is apple CarPlay, has all the goodies and it works perfectly plug and play!

I have just ordered mine and will be making a YouTube video on the install and info on it.

Again, many manufacturers can make this for you in china, all you need to be worried about is how this device looks like.

This unit, looks exactly like OEM, however, it very powerful, plug and play. AND retains all factory components.

However, 1 minor side not that some nav models came with a fibre optic cable for the reverse camera output. No headunit will be able to retain this type of wiring to the reverse camera, so china told me that if I have the fibre optic camera, they will provide a new reverse camera at no cost. See photo for how to tell your Lexus IS is fibre optic reverse camera.

Thank fully, I do not have a fibre optic reverse camera. As far as I am aware, even china said. This device can replace a mark Levinson Nav model as well.

As far as I am aware, a $300 (AUD) investment into this, is quite worth it. however, there is nobody else on this forum that has posted on this. If there is please link the thread!

I will keep a thread up of my own on this topic and keep updating it!
Hi, I am about to get a similar head unit for my is250. May I know if it supports the current OEM 14 speakers of the Mark Levinson system? Do you have that ML system in your Lexus and is the sound quality still as good as the original one?