IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Swollen Tires????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 01:29 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swollen Tires????

As I am applying my tire dressing, I notice my front passanger side of the Tire's wall has a swollen-like budge..as if you hit your head....any1 knows why? what should i do now??
Old 03-19-08, 02:09 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a flaw in the tire
Old 03-19-08, 02:50 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Falken? Kumho? Nitto? Nexen?

It is usually caused by sudden ground impaction, like running into potholes or speed bumps. California has more potholes than traffic lights, so low-profile tire owners have to dodge one pothole between two traffic lights (sigh~~). Thin sidewall tires cannot handle our road condition. Period.

Over inflated is another reason to see bubble on sidewall, especially pressing on the thin sidewall tires.... but still thin sidewall on cheap tires usually is the major cause.

I don't think there will be any warranty coverage on this case unless you bought the Road Haz Plan. In general, the possibility of a structure defective tire is something like 1/10k. Buying the Road Haz Plan on tires is like buying extended warranty on electronic devices; most of time consumers just waste the money.

Good luck!
Joseph

Last edited by josephdoc; 03-19-08 at 03:31 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 02:54 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

its stock tires...going bald soon...bridgestone i believe...any bad effect will happen if i continue to use it for a couple of months??? dun wanna spin off and die on the 10 freeway....yikes... *touchwood*
Old 03-19-08, 02:58 AM
LexyIS350
Driver

You have a tear within the steel belts on the side wall of the tire. It is likely that it will explode down the line. Get to a tire shop right away and replace the tire.
Old 03-19-08, 03:35 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by radicalrev
its stock tires...going bald soon...bridgestone i believe...any bad effect will happen if i continue to use it for a couple of months??? dun wanna spin off and die on the 10 freeway....yikes... *touchwood*
Bald-soon tires.. that too. LOL, every penny counts!

I recommend RE760, promotion/rebate ($50/$75) starts from 4/13.. maybe.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339345

Joseph
Old 03-19-08, 04:22 AM
Scottina08
Lead Lap

get it replaced....now.
Old 03-19-08, 04:47 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It could be two things, a manufacturing dimple or you damaged a belt. On some tires you can see a vertical dimple on the sidewall from the rim edge to the tread edge. This vertical bump/dimple is normal on some black wall tires. If you hit a pot hole you could have damaged/shifted one of the belts inside the tire. If it is damaged, you may want to replace it, depending on what speeds you drive at. There is a possibility the tire could blow out. Are you getting any vibration at speed? If not, it may not be too bad. If you decide not to replace it, keep your speeds down.

Koz
Old 03-19-08, 05:06 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
As I am applying my tire dressing, I notice my front passanger side of the Tire's wall has a swollen-like budge..as if you hit your head....any1 knows why? what should i do now??
Replace the tire -- sooner rather than later. A sidewall bubble is dangerous; it may fail catastrophically causing a blowout and loss of control.

While it could be a manufacturing defect, it is more likely damage caused by hitting a pothole. Low profile tires are particularly susceptible to this.

Last edited by Bichon; 03-19-08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 06:15 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately,

I have great expereience with this sidewall bulge and unavoidable pothole. The sidewall steelbelt was most like the culprit. Keep in mind, the bulge may not occur right away after an impact, it can take a couple of days. The bulge typically throws off the balance of the tire as well. It is best the replace asap. Look at my thread entitled, "Pothole Damage in Chicago!" You are not alone my friend.
Old 03-19-08, 06:20 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

thanks guys for the advice...the thing is i ordered my "moon-cakes" and should be arriving 5-6 weeks from now...you guys think the tire still can make it that long? I dun want to spend on a new tire when the rest of the tires are going bald...and especially when i am going to buy a new set of tires....would be hard to sell the tire by quantity of 1 later on...is there any temporary fix with this??
Old 03-19-08, 06:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

temp fix = buy used tire or wait for it to blow out on the freeway and wreck your car. Is your deductible more than a tire? If it is, you'd be way ahead to get the tire and quit trying to cheap it out. It will cost you far more in the long run.
Old 03-19-08, 08:01 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
temp fix = buy used tire or wait for it to blow out on the freeway and wreck your car. Is your deductible more than a tire? If it is, you'd be way ahead to get the tire and quit trying to cheap it out. It will cost you far more in the long run.
Yes, once the steel belt is broken, it is only a matter of time before the sidewall blows out completely. it can really happen at anytime. You could hit a small hole, curb, or simply just be driving and the heat will potentially cause this to blow. I would get a used tire asap, or purchase a new one from Discount Tire. be smart and be safe. I always tell people not to be cheap when it comes to tires. Afterall, spending x amount of $ on a tire or tires could mean the differeance between an accident or avoiding one. When it comes to an obvious tire defect, it is a no brainer to replace asap.
Old 03-19-08, 08:32 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I would get it fixed ASAP. Don't take the chance of messing up your car beyond minor repair or hurting yourself in an accident.
Old 03-19-08, 12:02 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

would replacing it with the spare tire be better than running the swollen tires??

Quick Reply: Swollen Tires????