Disabling The Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 12:18 PM
1HottLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disabling The Alarm

Hello everyone-

Question for you: I'm currently in the military and getting ready to go on a short tour to Korea for a year. Well, I have to put my car in storage for a year and there are a few guidelines that I have to follow in order to store it. One is disabling the alarm. Does anyone know an easy way to do this without going to the dealer? Any help/info is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-08, 12:28 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont know how, but be sure to have an extra battery when you come back because it will drain. Or u can disconnect it before you go, and i guess that would disable the alarm too.
Old 02-09-08, 01:09 PM
1HottLex
Rookie

Yea, I guess I could try that. But my battery should be okay...they have government contractors there that will start my car every few days and also make sure that its serviced (checking fluids, belts, etc.).
Old 02-09-08, 01:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

korea is not all that bad, you will enjoy it. good luck!
Old 02-09-08, 02:10 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start the engine turn off the engine open and close the door and don't lock the door. shouldn't have any problems since the car won't automatically lock unless you lock it yourself.

if someone accidentally locks it. you will have to do the same process because if they simply unlock the car door without starting the engine it WILL lock itself at this point. They most likely won't take care of your car like they should though... taking it to lexus to turn off the alarm is probably what is best temporarily
Old 02-09-08, 03:48 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HottLex
Yea, I guess I could try that. But my battery should be okay...they have government contractors there that will start my car every few days and also make sure that its serviced (checking fluids, belts, etc.).
I would not be starting the car every few days, that is deadly, as it never gets warmed up properly and causes undo buildup of moisture inside the engine and in the oil. Frankly, I wouldn't want 'government contractors' going in and out my car every few days. Too many chances for damage. And those 'every few days' could well turn into weeks or months. (Out of sight, out of mind).

If it was my car I'd find dry indoor storage, change the oil, fill the tank and put the requisite amount of Stabil in, put the battery on a Battery Tender, cover your car and forget about it. When you get back in a year you'll be good to ago with a push of the button.
Old 02-09-08, 11:11 PM
1HottLex
Rookie

^^^Since thousands of military members store their cars every year, i'm sure the contractors have it under control. I have not heard any bad things about having your car stored for a year. They are not going to abandoned your vehicle or mistreat it. They are under a contact. You fill out the appropriate paperwork and do a detailed inspection before you leave. If things are not the same when you return, then they have to pay for it.
Old 02-09-08, 11:12 PM
1HottLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by kensteele
korea is not all that bad, you will enjoy it. good luck!
I'm looking forward to it I heard so many great things about it...and the icing on the cake is that I will be going to Germany afterwards...can't wait to put the Lex on the autoban
Old 02-11-08, 04:29 PM
Recluse
Pole Position

So there isn't a way to do it AND still have the car locked, without getting a dealership involved?

I ask because I'm going to be shipping my car, and turning off the alarm is a requirement (I assume they don't want the alarm going off on the car carrier), but I also definitely want the car to be locked during transit.
Old 02-12-08, 06:33 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have access to the car or manual right now, but look for a fuse labeled "IOD" (Ignition off Draw). If you remove that, I think it may disable the alarm as well as clock, etc. It's used during shipping--I can't assure you it works, but it's easy to do and then check. Once done, you'll likely also have to reset all the auto windows, etc., like you would if the battery cable was removed and replaced.
Old 02-12-08, 09:56 PM
unknown2
Driver

In some other cars, if you lock the car using the remote/smart key, it will enable the aralm... If you lock the car using the mechanical key, the alarm will be disabled... Not sure if it will work in your car, but try it and see if the security LED will flash after you lock your car with the mechanical key...