IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 all-seasons. What are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 05:49 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus since that added a little more mileage for very little extra. I have about 6K miles on them. My brother's friend manages a discount tire and got me all 4 with the warranties for $1190 out the door.

Pros to the Michelins (IMO): significantly quieter than the Bridgestone crap that came on the car; better wet traction; and decent mileage warranty.

Cons: freaking expensive; tires look aggressive and take away from the mean & wide stance; and don't handle as well on hard cornering - sort of feels like the tires roll a bit.

I didn't make it home quick enough one morning before the snow started, so these tires have seen snow once and they sucked, however that could be due to the lower profile rather than the tread/tire. For winter conditions, I'll stick to my jeep (which also has Michelins on it).
Old 01-06-09, 06:56 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Mine were perfect (noiseless) for the first 25k but after 25k, they're annoyingly loud. You'll see what I'm talking about down the road...
I knew about this when I bought my Eagle F-1’s last month. I don’t expect to run them more then 25K miles.

It sucks but there are no good All-seasons in 255-40-18.
Old 01-06-09, 07:55 AM
C-man jr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the summer (so from approximately april to october) I have Bridgestone Potenzas, 225/40 18" in the front and 255/40 18" in the back. In the winters I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta R studless tires, the size is 225/45 17". Since the conditions up here vary so much between summer and winter, it's almost impossible to drive through the year with the same tires. It's in the law that we have to use winter tires from december to february, and basically one could use the studless winter tires throughout the year, but they wear out so fast when driving on bare road.
Old 01-06-09, 09:49 AM
Glide
Rookie

Has anyone tried the new Goodyear Eagle GT? It got rave reviews from Tire Rack.

I had the Avons on my 350Z and loved them but reviews on Tire Rack said they wore out really fast. Only putting 10k on them before I sold the car I didn't notice any wear. They sure improved the "freeway hop" in the Z.
Old 01-06-09, 04:48 PM
njmurvin
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glide
Has anyone tried the new Goodyear Eagle GT? It got rave reviews from Tire Rack.
I was talked out of the GTs and into the F1s at America's Tire (believe it or not, the sales guy said the F1s are quieter than the GTs). Aside from some leakage at the bead of one of the tires, they have been nice so far. But, I don't have many miles on them yet. My stock Dunlops went 25K and were pretty noisy. My hope is that these won't get any worse than the Dunlops. If they don't start getting noisy until 25K, I guess it's still a win as these were quite a bit less $$$ than the Dunlops.
Old 01-06-09, 07:48 PM
rbrook5
Driver School Candidate

So does anyone here live in Chicago and drive a 2006+ in the snow I would be curious as to what kind of tires you drive on? I can tell you this the Potenza RE050 with less than 50%trend is suicide in the snow/ice. I need new tires and don't really want to buy dedicated snow tires. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-29-09, 08:46 PM
Glide
Rookie

Please check out my new thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...250-is350.html
Old 01-29-09, 08:59 PM
shawnsavio
Driver School Candidate

I've just got the Contis on my AWD here in Toronto. We've seen our fair share of snow and the tires have held up pretty well. The AWD definitely helps.. so I 'd be curious to do see how well they performed on a RWD. Contis are slightly noisier that the OEM Bridgestone's but nothing to complain about.
Old 01-29-09, 11:24 PM
Glide
Rookie

Originally Posted by njmurvin
I was talked out of the GTs and into the F1s at America's Tire (believe it or not, the sales guy said the F1s are quieter than the GTs). Aside from some leakage at the bead of one of the tires, they have been nice so far. But, I don't have many miles on them yet. My stock Dunlops went 25K and were pretty noisy. My hope is that these won't get any worse than the Dunlops. If they don't start getting noisy until 25K, I guess it's still a win as these were quite a bit less $$$ than the Dunlops.
I too was talked out of the GTs and into F!s. Love em so far...
Old 02-07-09, 10:25 PM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by rinthiran
Well, at least 30k miles, which is what I've read people say on prior IS300s and the BMW forums. Figured if they are getting that, then I should also be able to get the same...

If not, I'm a sucker for changing to all-season tires in California.
Well, I got 23k miles on my Dunlop Sport Maxx stock tire, and I have 7/32" and 4/32" thread-depth left on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S at 21k miles. I guess I'm probably going to have to change tires at about 25k. Time to search for performance summer tires that can get me close to 30k...