IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 all-seasons. What are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 09:51 AM
pkvir
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T's350
Looks like most are going with the Pilot Sport A/S. Anyone running the Goodyears?
I have them and couldn't be happier. I would buy again.
Old 08-20-08, 01:33 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pkvir
I have them and couldn't be happier. I would buy again.
Same here..although they are only a couple of weeks old.
Also much less expensive than Michelins.

GY is running a $50 rebate right now
Old 08-20-08, 01:38 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by maxnix
Why?

One needs to understand that "All Season" is a marketing euphemism for a compromised performance summer tire and a not very good winter tire. Read the Tire Rack tests and you will find the respctive summer tires (Michelin PS2 and Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3) well out perform the downline all season equivalents except in snow, which is as it should be.

Get real snow tires on another set of wheels for winter.
If you live in 'snow country' this is true. If you live in 'we might get a bit of snow' country, then I think you are wasting money on extra tires/wheels/TPMS.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the stock summer Dunlops are totally worthless in even a bit of snow. I now have the GY all seasons. As long as they can get me home in just a bit of snow then I will be happy.

For me, I don't think most drive at the point where a dedicated summer tire will provide that much better traction than an All Season tire will.

If I was going to drive at that extreme a point I would have a sports car and not a sports sedan...another compromise between two things (dinner/theater, weed and feed, winter tire and summer performance, national security and civil rights, etc).
Old 08-21-08, 05:58 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

im going for the michelin pilot sport AS!!!

Last edited by k_dizzle; 08-21-08 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-21-08, 06:45 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

i have the goodyear eagle f1's. i bought them from tirerack. at first i thought the carbon fiber sidewalls might be a little to stiff and my ride would suck. but after i got them on my car felt totally different. the traction in the wet is amazing and it can handle my spirited tougeing. i think they are better then the stock dunlop sport maxxes for sure.
Old 08-26-08, 10:35 AM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Whats the price you guys got for 4 of the pilots A/S for IS 350?
My guy is saying like $1200 mounted with 4w align.
Seems kinda high to me.
Old 08-27-08, 10:08 AM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jeff777
Whats the price you guys got for 4 of the pilots A/S for IS 350?
My guy is saying like $1200 mounted with 4w align.
Seems kinda high to me.
As I recall, I paid about 1200 to tirerack, and about 120 for install/alignment, locally. They are costly, but I hope worth it.
Old 01-02-09, 06:31 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

I've had the Goodyear F1's for about 25k now and although there's pretty good tread left, it's extremely noisy!! When they were new, they felt really nice and they were quiet but as they're getting more worn out now, they are loud. I thought something was seriously wrong with my car but I took it in for an alignment and they checked everything. Everything was fine and the diagnosis was just the tires getting worn. The sound is brain-numbing loud, especially when I hit the brakes. I was told that they will get even louder as the tread wears off even more.

I don't think I'll be going with F1's the next time around.
Old 01-02-09, 11:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I've had the Goodyear F1's for about 25k now and although there's pretty good tread left, it's extremely noisy!! When they were new, they felt really nice and they were quiet but as they're getting more worn out now, they are loud. I thought something was seriously wrong with my car but I took it in for an alignment and they checked everything. Everything was fine and the diagnosis was just the tires getting worn. The sound is brain-numbing loud, especially when I hit the brakes. I was told that they will get even louder as the tread wears off even more.

I don't think I'll be going with F1's the next time around.
Tires will get quieter with less tread depth unless the tread is worn unevenly. If the tread is worn uneven then the tread design has been altered and will make more noise. Feel the tread with your hand & compare to rear tires you can feel how smooth the tread is with your hand better than you can see. Then you can adjust air PSI to make the tire wear in a different area
Old 01-03-09, 12:50 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I just got bigger wheels/tires and I was limited to certain brands. After much research I ended up getting the BFG G-Force SuperSport A/S. The main reasons were handling and noise. These tire are dead silent compared to the stock summer Bridgestones and the Avons. The handling is amazing for being all-seasons. They are also very pretty good in the snow and priced great. Highly recommended!

Koz
Old 01-05-09, 01:04 PM
archaic
Driver School Candidate

The Goodyear Eagle F1's are loud. Like a previous poster, even though there was plenty of tread left, the noise level too high for my comfort. I ended up getting Bridgestone Potenza RE760s. So far they've been great, but I've only logged a few hundred miles on them.
Old 01-05-09, 03:31 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by archaic
The Goodyear Eagle F1's are loud. Like a previous poster, even though there was plenty of tread left, the noise level too high for my comfort. I ended up getting Bridgestone Potenza RE760s. So far they've been great, but I've only logged a few hundred miles on them.
I'm glad that you've confirmed the noisiness of these tires with me. I know that it's not uneven tread wear (as stated by Byprodrive) because the guys who did my alignment said that the wear is normal and even. The noise is just the nature of how these tires were made, which in my opinion is poor. Maybe I'm expecting too much but these tires are way too loud for the price I paid (roughly $200/tire).
Old 01-05-09, 06:57 PM
bullet1
Driver

I just put on the Eagle F1's about 2 weeks ago and so far so good. They aren't very loud at all on the road and so far handle the rain with ease. Haven't had them in snow yet or warm weather so we'll see in the future.
Old 01-05-09, 09:44 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bullet1
I just put on the Eagle F1's about 2 weeks ago and so far so good. They aren't very loud at all on the road and so far handle the rain with ease. Haven't had them in snow yet or warm weather so we'll see in the future.
Mine were perfect (noiseless) for the first 25k but after 25k, they're annoyingly loud. You'll see what I'm talking about down the road...
Old 01-05-09, 09:58 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wakaru8
I just got Continental ContiExtremeContacts today. Too early to tell but I heard good things about it. Also comes standard on the new C350 sport.
This is what I'm going to get put on my brother's IS350 as well.

Quick Reply: IS350 all-seasons. What are you running?