Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-07, 03:54 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
You can get cable ties at radio shack or any hardware store
If you are going to work on it again can you take some pictures about these tabs ? It looks alot better, hopefully you can get rid of the little gap on the side too. Does the adhesive pad work now?
I have the cable ties. I just don't know where people are fixing the cable ties on the air dam/front bumper. Since I did not remove the air dam, I did not use any extra adhesive. Adding extra adhesive might make the gaps larger.

Here is a picture from Techniques website. You can see a tab in between the 2 screws. Once you get under there you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Old 06-24-07, 03:55 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Also, if anyone in the Chicago area is doing this DIY let me know. I might be able to help with the install and provide my rhino ramps.
Old 06-24-07, 05:34 PM
Swisha
Pole Position

the after looks way better with no gaps, good job for not giving up.
Old 06-24-07, 06:10 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Also, if anyone in the Chicago area is doing this DIY let me know. I might be able to help with the install and provide my rhino ramps.
I have the same problem, gaps at the corner. I did not use ramps to install because it seems that the ramps will scratch the lip (rhino ramps, black ones).
I tried getting the car on the ramps( air dam installed) to fix the problem but don't have clearance? How did you get yours on the ramp? Another thing is did you ever turn your wheels for better access or was it straight all the time?
Old 06-24-07, 08:34 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
I have the same problem, gaps at the corner. I did not use ramps to install because it seems that the ramps will scratch the lip (rhino ramps, black ones).
I tried getting the car on the ramps( air dam installed) to fix the problem but don't have clearance? How did you get yours on the ramp? Another thing is did you ever turn your wheels for better access or was it straight all the time?
When I first did the install without jacking up or ramps I turned the wheel to the side to get better access to the corner bolts.

My car is stock ride height. I bought the black rhino 8000 ramps from Autozone for $30. I tested them for clearance by sliding them under the car so the front tires were touching the beginning of the ramp. It cleared my front gfx lip by a couple of inches. Since the car will be traveling on the incline from that point it was not going to scrape. After I got the car up on the ramps I was able to get easy access to the corner bolts. You will NOT be able to turn your wheels when the car is on the ramps. This will cause them to be unstable.

Is your car lowered? I believe the sport packaged cars should have clearance as well.
Old 06-24-07, 08:53 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Hey VikDiddy,

How long did you wait to fix the installation of your front air dam? Was the adhesive on the left and right still sticky after taking it off? Did you remove the entire spoiler? Or just unbolted the bolts, pushed the spoiler in so there are no gaps, and then tighten the bolts??

My front air dam should be in soon so I want to be prepared!

Thanks!
Old 06-24-07, 09:04 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Hey VikDiddy,

How long did you wait to fix the installation of your front air dam? Was the adhesive on the left and right still sticky after taking it off? Did you remove the entire spoiler? Or just unbolted the bolts, pushed the spoiler in so there are no gaps, and then tighten the bolts??

My front air dam should be in soon so I want to be prepared!

Thanks!
My initial install occurred on Friday evening. All of the adhesive on the front lip was not touching the bumper so I knew something was wrong. I did not drive my car all day Saturday. Today (Sunday Morning) I removed the bolts and noticed the tabs were not fully engaged. I pushed it in fully and the rest of the adhesive is now touching the bumper. I did not remove the lip again. However I was prepared to do that and bought 3M Molding Tape from Autozone just in case. I was planning on removing the old adhesive and adding the 3M tape in case the adhesive was not sticking.

Vik
Old 06-24-07, 09:08 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This might be a stupid question but if the dealership does this installation is the gap still noticeable since they are drilling it against the side bumper of the car?
Old 06-25-07, 07:42 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrsardar
This might be a stupid question but if the dealership does this installation is the gap still noticeable since they are drilling it against the side bumper of the car?
Some people have said that the gap is the same with drilling. I don't know. The gap I have now is only noticeable to me. If someone actually comments on it, then I would be surprised.
Old 06-25-07, 08:11 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I eyeballed one closely last time I was at the dealer, specifically looking at those gaps. They were still there, although I thought they were less 'gappy' than what mine is or what I've seen in other's DIY pics on CL. They might have been similar to Vikdiddy's redo pics above. I did not reach under the bumper cover to check if they were drilled or not. I suspect the people who do the port install options or the dealer who installs these more often than the average joe have learned a few techniques to minimize the gap as much as possible. Even so, it was still there, so that really is a fitment issue with the piece itself.
Old 06-25-07, 10:13 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GODDAMNIT I was gonna leave it alone even with the gaps but now I gotta try it again! So what, just unbolt the center section first let that come out a little and maybe the sides will be easier to push in? I think it might be easier if 2 people did it one person pushing the bumper outwards from inside and the other pushing the lip section in to get it to snap. Hope it works.
Old 06-25-07, 05:45 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
When I first did the install without jacking up or ramps I turned the wheel to the side to get better access to the corner bolts.

My car is stock ride height. I bought the black rhino 8000 ramps from Autozone for $30. I tested them for clearance by sliding them under the car so the front tires were touching the beginning of the ramp. It cleared my front gfx lip by a couple of inches. Since the car will be traveling on the incline from that point it was not going to scrape. After I got the car up on the ramps I was able to get easy access to the corner bolts. You will NOT be able to turn your wheels when the car is on the ramps. This will cause them to be unstable.

Is your car lowered? I believe the sport packaged cars should have clearance as well.
I have sport package, still no clearance(very close)
You said you removed the bolts and just push it in place? Did you remove all of them? or just the ones at the edges?
Old 06-25-07, 06:07 PM
mrsardar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Today i went to the dealership and they had IS 350 in the showroom with GFX kit on the car. I noticed that there was a minor gap but one of the side had more than the other side. I asked a buddy of mine who work at the dealership who installed the kit, he mentioned that they took it to the body shop. he did mention to me that the body shop had to do some drilling on the side of the bumper but rest were just clip on.

Now i notice one thing on a black color car you really cannot notice the gap unless you know about the gap or when you get really close to it you maybe able to tell.
Old 06-25-07, 09:17 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ba-b4
GODDAMNIT I was gonna leave it alone even with the gaps but now I gotta try it again! So what, just unbolt the center section first let that come out a little and maybe the sides will be easier to push in? I think it might be easier if 2 people did it one person pushing the bumper outwards from inside and the other pushing the lip section in to get it to snap. Hope it works.
What I did was first get under the car and look at the inside of the front lip. You will need a flashlight. Unbolt everything, remove the 2 clips. Locate all of the tabs. Make sure that they are all locked. To do this pull on the inside of the front lip where the tab is located and push on the slot of your front bumper. Once you get under there you will understand what I am saying. You don't need 2 people. Also, the lip is designed with some play in the fitment (obviously ). If you push the lip in all of the way, it will be past the bumper. Make sure you line everything up and all of the lines are flush.

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
I have sport package, still no clearance(very close)
You said you removed the bolts and just push it in place? Did you remove all of them? or just the ones at the edges?
Maybe I have the 4x4 version of the 350 I would then recommend using the jack supplied in your trunk. I removed the 2 clips and all of the bolts. This is very quick and easy if you have a 10mm wrench. As I told ba-b4: You will need a flashlight. Locate all of the tabs. Make sure that they are all locked. To do this pull on the inside of the front lip where the tab is located and push on the slot of your front bumper. Once you get under there you will understand what I am saying.

Today i went to the dealership and they had IS 350 in the showroom with GFX kit on the car. I noticed that there was a minor gap but one of the side had more than the other side. I asked a buddy of mine who work at the dealership who installed the kit, he mentioned that they took it to the body shop. he did mention to me that the body shop had to do some drilling on the side of the bumper but rest were just clip on.

Now i notice one thing on a black color car you really cannot notice the gap unless you know about the gap or when you get really close to it you maybe able to tell.
Yeah. The gap is only noticeable on lighter colored cars. I wouldn't trust the dealer to install it as they usually send it to a body shop. Just do it yourself. Its easy
Old 06-25-07, 09:37 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I give up. I tried again this evening and took out all the bolts again to make sure everything was snapped tight in and there's still a gap. Oh well it's okay, nobody can tell except me and the others on this board who are looking for it anyway.

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam Lip Install Problems