IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 06:07 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ambientFLI
There really isn't a technical "advantage", but it's just fun.
Not quite. A not insignificant number of manufacturers these days are pushing rev limits higher, because they seem to have magically discovered that high rpm torque doesn't typically drop off as quickly as revs gain, so they can claim higher peak horsepower, which is all most people ever see. In reality, most of the fast drivers here would rather see a dead flat torque curve, which tends to be a little bit more forgiving with the gear changes and faster in all but the most talented of hands. Personally, I'd rather have the flatter torque curve than the higher rev limit, since one can be reprogrammed in the ECM and the other can't.
Old 03-06-07, 06:10 PM
x2mkx
Driver

Originally Posted by FlyBri
Lets just put it this way, I had a G35S on order at 2 different dealerships (both didn't go through b/c they thought they could get the car and they both ended up not being available.) I didn't consider the IS 350 b/c I thought it was out of my price range. I decided to call up some dealerships anyway to see if I could get a good deal, and I happen to find a dealer by me who had what I wanted in stock, and I was able to bargin for a good price. I still paid more than I would have for a G35S, but the extra cost was well worth it. I don't regret getting a G35 in the least.
did u mean the 350? ya kinda lost me there
Old 03-06-07, 06:35 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamshakleZ
I think he just misread your original message thinking that you were saying the G35 burned oil when in fact you were saying that the IS was burning the oil.

Fact is, ALL cars are going to have bad apples. The question is how often do those bad apples occur - and it is proven statistically that Nissan / Infiniti has more problems (big and little) than Toyota / Lexus. So, while I understand your friend's frustration with his problems on his IS, just because he jumps over to BMW (who has a TERRIBLE track record) or Infiniti doesn't mean something won't happen there too. Plus, if it was just this one problem and now it is fixed and there have been NO other problems, I think that's pretty good. I used to have a BMW and had tons of problems. But, our Lexus has had none (only had it one year, though). you've got to look at overall reliability in these things. Not just one person's bad experience.
I'm in the same boat as you I had a brand new 2004 545 it was an awesome car at first then after about 6 months the electronic parts of the car started acting up but my 2000 328ci was flawless except regular maintenace.
Old 03-06-07, 06:57 PM
LexXxuS101
Lead Lap

Ii think is 350 is much better then g35 infinity try copy from lexus stil FEELz LIKE **** AND LOOK LIKE ****T (the coupe maybe fine)
Old 03-06-07, 07:39 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Irishman06
Not quite. A not insignificant number of manufacturers these days are pushing rev limits higher, because they seem to have magically discovered that high rpm torque doesn't typically drop off as quickly as revs gain, so they can claim higher peak horsepower, which is all most people ever see. In reality, most of the fast drivers here would rather see a dead flat torque curve, which tends to be a little bit more forgiving with the gear changes and faster in all but the most talented of hands. Personally, I'd rather have the flatter torque curve than the higher rev limit, since one can be reprogrammed in the ECM and the other can't.
From what I hear, those nissan 3.5s have a pretty good torque curve. So if can get both, a good torque curve AND high revs, that would be perfect.
Old 03-06-07, 07:42 PM
ambientFLI
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexXxuS101
Ii think is 350 is much better then g35 infinity try copy from lexus stil FEELz LIKE **** AND LOOK LIKE ****T (the coupe maybe fine)

I got a headache trying to read that. Anyway, how could infiniti copy lexus, if all they did was update their current G35 that was on the market since like 2003, back when lexus had the is300? It still looks very close to the first gen.
Old 03-06-07, 07:59 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ambientFLI
The '07's aren't having any issues with that. The whole engine in brand new, with something like 80% new parts, and I'm sure the oil consumption was part of the reason for the redesign. They must be confident in it, since they pushed the redline even higher.

Some of the earlier G/350Z cars had a problem with their 300hp rev-up motors, the ones that revved till 7000, it seemed that the oil was somehow getting past the piston rings at higher engine speeds and was burned.
It's definitely too early to tell if the new VQ HR will have the same issues, which brings me to another Infiniti drawback. They can't seem to fix anything after you purchase the car. The people with the oil consumption problems are starting to get run around and Infiniti seems to be stopping the engine replacements because the replacements have the same issue.

Not quite on the same scale but my '03 sedan (purchased in 5/02) and my '04 coupe had the creaky, rocking seat issue. 4 years later, '06 G owners (as well as M35/45) are still complaining about it. (Again, probably to early to tell for the '07's.)

Either:
1. Infiniti doesn't know how to build solid seat rails, or
2. They just don't care enough to do anything about it

You would think that after 4 years they could come up with something...... Hopefully, history doesn't repeat itself and those suffering with the oil consumption issue will have some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-06-07, 10:10 PM
Katin2
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is one of the best cars at holding its value. I had a 35 and when i went to trade it in for a new lexus resale value was not good by any means( it was less than 5 months old fully loaded). Turning raduis on a 35 is horrible, I cant tell you how many 3 point turns I had to do, with the lexus not a problem making tight turns. Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-06-07, 11:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

what i find funny is how many of the current IS350 owners actually tested all the other cars in the class, before going on and on about how crappy the G35 is. Judging the car on how it looks like is purely based on preference. I personally think the TL looks the best in the class even better then the IS. You then have to add up all the pros and cons about the two cars, and truthfully i think they are both fairly evenly matched depedning on what is more important to you. have you considered the other cars in the class? like the BMW 335i, Audi A4 3.2 quattro,acura TL type-s, MBZ c350???? i've driven all of them except for the benz................
Old 03-06-07, 11:26 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

^ the g35 sedan - old or new - is a boat compared to the 2is.
Old 03-07-07, 12:33 AM
Burst32
Pole Position

I was just throwin' in my two cents in my post on the first page there. But honestly, I absolutely love my IS. And like so many other people in here, OF COURSE I am biased, thats why I bought it. haha. also, sorry that I didn't know the m/t wasn't available on the IS350. I never looked at the 350, If i did buy that, I don't even wanna know what my lead foot would of done to it already.
Old 03-07-07, 05:34 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Katin2
Lexus is one of the best cars at holding its value. I had a 35 and when i went to trade it in for a new lexus resale value was not good by any means( it was less than 5 months old fully loaded).
After 5 months the Lex would fare no better. Both cars have oustanding long term resale value.
Old 03-07-07, 05:37 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Katin2
Lexus is one of the best cars at holding its value. I had a 35 and when i went to trade it in for a new lexus resale value was not good by any means( it was less than 5 months old fully loaded).
After 5 months, the Lex would fare no better. Both cars have oustanding long term resale value.
Old 03-07-07, 05:56 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by al503
It's definitely too early to tell if the new VQ HR will have the same issues, which brings me to another Infiniti drawback.
I had a '07 G for several weeks and let me tell you the new VQHR it's the same buzz-box, unrefined gas hog it was before. Why this engine is so highly regarded is beyond me. Yes it is a "good" engine, but I love how G owners brag about how good their engine is, until you drive the IS350 or the TL-Type S - then suddenly you find out the VQ is really not that great after all. Notwithstanding the exhaust note [which only sounds good in the coupe] the actual mechanical note of the VQ under acceleration is terrible IMO.

I love the "Japanese wine" of the IS350, TL-Type S, ect along w/the quite exhaust, but that's just me.
Old 03-07-07, 06:07 AM
MLevinson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys let's not make sweeping stereotypes. There are jerk Lexus drivers just like there are jerk drivers of every make and model.

Both the G35 and 2IS are fine cars.
I agree w/the "finger-pointing" in regards to what kind of drivers are out there, as that has nothing to do w/this thread, but this is a debate nonetheless about two vehicles. However, stating that "Both the G35 and 2IS are fine cars" can be classified as stereotyping also.

Not trying to start an argument, but it would be nice if we could dispense w/the politically correct answers and continue on w/the debate w/out fear of having those opinions suppressed by a moderator.

If I’ve misunderstood your intentions then I apologize.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS350 vs 2007 G35