IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

XM buy and install

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 04:49 PM
Haiko
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM buy and install

I don't have XM, was thinking of adding it, the dealer quoted me $799 for it installed. My questions are:

Has anyone added XM after the purchase, if so was it worth it ?

How much did you pay?

Did they have to add any sightly wires?
Old 03-01-07, 05:07 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

i'm waiting to see if the xm/sirius merger goes through..the current receiver can't receive both services so it might be junk later on...bad time to really buy it.
Old 03-01-07, 07:22 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$799 seems to be a bit much. The kit alone is less than $500.00 if you do it yourself. The hardest part of the install is removing all of the trunk liners to get to where you have to mount the receiver.

As far as the XM/Sirius merger goes, I'm not really sure as to how it will work as far as which receiver will work with what, but I heard it's not supposed to take place anytime soon. (by the end of next year, if that)
Old 03-01-07, 09:41 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by supaIS350
i'm waiting to see if the xm/sirius merger goes through..the current receiver can't receive both services so it might be junk later on...bad time to really buy it.
Nah, that will never happen. The FCC is going to have enough trouble ok'ing this merger in the best of circumstances. If a one owner satellite business isn't a monopoly I don't know what is. If one or the other systems becomes unusable with the current equipment the merger would never be allowed to go forward. XM/Sirius aren't dumb enough to make one of the systems obsolete at the time of the merger. Be assured that functionality of the current systems in place will remain for the foreseeable future. I would not delay purchasing of an XM system because of a merger that may never take place. Get the system, you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-01-07, 10:04 PM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Nah, that will never happen. The FCC is going to have enough trouble ok'ing this merger in the best of circumstances. If a one owner satellite business isn't a monopoly I don't know what is. If one or the other systems becomes unusable with the current equipment the merger would never be allowed to go forward. XM/Sirius aren't dumb enough to make one of the systems obsolete at the time of the merger. Be assured that functionality of the current systems in place will remain for the foreseeable future. I would not delay purchasing of an XM system because of a merger that may never take place. Get the system, you'll enjoy it.
According to what I've read, when and if the merger actually goes through XM/Sirius is going to release new dual receivers that will accept both signals. I've also read that they intend to keep XM and Sirius separate entities for quite some time even after the merger is accepted and have no plans to consolidate programing.

As far as the install goes for the XM kit... www.lexus-parts.com sells the kit for 299.00 and it is comes with very detailed instructions so it's easy to install. Just be sure to invest the extra 10 dollars in a trim pulling tool since it will make the job 10x easier. I did the install myself in about 2 hours.
Old 03-02-07, 05:53 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE, 3/1/2007 9:38:00 AM
Washington — Sirius CEO Mel Karmazin told regulators yesterday he would not raise subscription prices for a merged XM-Sirius company and would be willing to work with regulators in restricting price and other satellite radio features.

When pressed at a House Judiciary Committee yesterday, Karmazin said, “We would be willing to agree on restrictions on pricing for a given period of time. We need to show you and others that this merger is in the public interest.”

When asked if he would agree not to compete with local news and weather broadcasting and Karmazin said, “We think we’d be open to lots of things.”

Detractors on the committee however, implied that Karmazin would be willing to promise anything to “get his merger.”

Karmazin also promised regulators that any current radio would not be obsolete and would work with the new service.