IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

pics of my new subs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 02:50 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea tony mine sits away from the rear seat a lil too, but I have a custom pressure fitted face that fits snug from side to side blocking it off. Sorry hard to explain but I'm just trying to figure out how else to stop the damn rattling, I'm worried the dynomat won't completely do it
Old 01-02-07, 03:22 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a single JL 10W6V2 in my trunk, in the premade JL enclosure... The bass is incredibly loud with the gain at minimum... and I have barely any rattling inside or outside the car... The stock subwoofer has been removed which I think helped a bunch in terms of passing more air into the cabin and less pressure in the trunk for rattles...

See the website in my sig for details on the sub/amp install... But here's a pic:

Old 01-02-07, 03:25 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAMIS250
now im worried, so what does it take to add 2 subs and an amp?
Just turn your life savings over to your installer and he will make sure it will work. j/k

A simple LOC (line output convertor, or sometimes called speaker to RCA convertor) between the factory sub wires and the aftermarket amp completes the job. A good LOC should cost about $20-30.

Originally Posted by 07Txlex
Hey Mr. Cmusic lol.. Would my box being pressure fitted to the rear of the seats and up to the back deck cause an abnormal amount of rattling in this car? I had the exact same equipment in my 03 IS and it never rattled as bad as my 07 with 2000 miles.. Would taking out the stock sub help any?
I have a single 10" with 1000 watt amp and have no rattles at regular listening volumes. I removed my factory sub. I think that is the majority of your problems. The factory sub vents into the trunk. The aftermarket subs create air pressure changes that causes the factory sub to move excessively. It's like when you sit down quickly on a couch with a single coushin, the end you sit on goes down and the other end goes up. That extra pressure is causing the factory sub to move beyond its limits, and creates alot of rattling. When the factory sub is removed there is a new 7" hole between the trunk and the passenger compartment that allows more bass to pass through. I don't crank my system loud much but the rattling is not enough to warrant installing Dynamat IMHO.

Last edited by cmusic; 01-02-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-02-07, 04:36 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

Alright so here a picture of what I mean by pressure fitted, I wonder if the tightness is causing more rattles.. When I say it rattles bad the back deck is what is the worst, it almost to the point to where I don't turn it up very loud when other people are in the car. However I hear little or no rattling outside the car. So that being said it sounds like the factory sub needs to go away.. Is this process overly complicated? I'd like to remove it prior to taking the car to my audio shop so I can see if I need to invest in dynomat or not.. Thanks so very much

Old 01-02-07, 04:37 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

There needs to be a thread titled:

"Questions for cmusic: Audio problems/questions"
Old 01-02-07, 04:49 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Alright so here a picture of what I mean by pressure fitted, I wonder if the tightness is causing more rattles.. When I say it rattles bad the back deck is what is the worst, it almost to the point to where I don't turn it up very loud when other people are in the car. However I hear little or no rattling outside the car. So that being said it sounds like the factory sub needs to go away.. Is this process overly complicated? I'd like to remove it prior to taking the car to my audio shop so I can see if I need to invest in dynomat or not.. Thanks so very much
Read this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...01#post2212201

My personal experience: I can tell you that removing the stock sub is a long ordeal... I had the best shop in the area do it and it took them hours to take apart and put back together... Granted, they did a great job, but even they told me "Ya, it's sort of a pain just to take the stock sub out"... So it's not "overly complicated", but it's complicated and time consuming... Check my website in my sig, you'll see plenty of pics of the rear seat and deck removed...

They did add some foam insulation under the rear deck because after putting it back it would not snap in as tight as before... That's something else to keep in mind... The plastic clips in many panels never fit back quite as tight as they do from the factory so sometimes you need to add some foam to make it fit tight (no rattles) again...
Old 01-02-07, 05:25 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be wrong, but it looks like your box will actually BLOCK sound from reaching the passenger compartment since it is so friggin' big. Whenever I've seen rear facing subs in other cars, they have always been in boxes that are significantly smaller than the passageway.
Old 01-02-07, 05:29 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I need to take a better picture.. It actually is quite small, and it's 2 pieces.. That grill looking thing embedded in the black is just a tight fascia and behind it's a normal looking box that slips in the "rectangle area" in our cars
Old 01-02-07, 05:38 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i dont get any rattling except from my lisence plate at some times (im gonna dynamat it soon). My installer who owns a is350, which was great for me cuz he knew a lot about the audio system, told me before i even installed anything that i wouldnt need dynamat because the car was well made and that it wouldnt rattle.. he was right. well for me atleast.

my stock sub was not removed.
Old 01-02-07, 05:40 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

I hope you have better luck than me, mine didn't rattle at all for the 1st week or so and then baam all hell broke loose lol
Old 01-02-07, 05:40 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vApor21
i dont get any rattling except from my lisence plate at some times (im gonna dynamat it soon). My installer who owns a is350, which was great for me cuz he knew a lot about the audio system, told me before i even installed anything that i wouldnt need dynamat because the car was well made and that it wouldnt rattle.. he was right. well for me atleast.

my stock sub was not removed.
Ditto... No rattles here at all, except I still have temporary tags on my car (made of paper) but I already bought the dynamat license plate kit ($11) for when my metal plates arrive... I think I'll just do the rear plate, I can't imagine the front plate rattling
Old 03-04-09, 09:25 PM
jamminlol
Driver

nice subs