IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does Your IS Lock Itself?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 05:58 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Your IS Lock Itself?

Is the car suppose to lock itself as you walk away and reach a certain distance? For some reason, mine doesnt lock itself.

I brought it to the dealership last week and the service manager told me that it only locks itself if you unlock the car and dont open the doors and walk away to a certain distance. Is this tru?

I always thought that it locks itself as soon as you get out of the car and the key fob can no longer communicate with the car.
Old 12-11-06, 06:05 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont think ive heard of the car doing that...im pretty sure mine doesnt lock it self...
Old 12-11-06, 06:06 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarorn
Is the car suppose to lock itself as you walk away and reach a certain distance? For some reason, mine doesnt lock itself.

I brought it to the dealership last week and the service manager told me that it only locks itself if you unlock the car and dont open the doors and walk away to a certain distance. Is this tru?

I always thought that it locks itself as soon as you get out of the car and the key fob can no longer communicate with the car.
NO ..... it does not work like that. Check this recent thread.....https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=253459

Personally, I don't want a car that automatically locks when I walk away from it. I don't lock my car in my garage, and if I come out at a later time to get something I don't want to find it locked.
Old 12-11-06, 06:07 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Unfortunately, it won't lock itself if you walk away from your car. Hopefully you haven't been walking away without locking your car.

Terrance
Old 12-11-06, 06:13 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

You are misinformed.

Yes.

No.
Old 12-11-06, 08:41 PM
isam250
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

it only locks when you unlock it and dont open the door. but walking away wont lock.. so if u drive somewhere and forget to lock it, when you come back it will still be unlock
Old 12-11-06, 08:52 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have left my car unlocked by accident a couple of times.

No, it does not lock itself. You cannot program it to lock itself. Sorry...
Old 12-11-06, 08:53 PM
Sarorn
Driver

Thanks for the clarification guys! Much appreciated! I will now "manually" lock my car. Wow, for the longest time I've been walking away thinking that it would lock itself....good thing no one tried to get in!!!
Old 12-11-06, 09:16 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Being I jsut got back from the dealer, the car lights will light up as i'm within a few feet of the door. Actually looked like it lit up about a foot away. Doors will unlock once your hand touches the back of the door handle. When I leave the car, it will lock ONLY if I push the lock button on the key fob or the button on the outside of the door handle.
If you unlock your car with the key fob, it locked after 15-20secs? if I dont open any doors. I dont know if you have to be out of range of the keyfob.
Old 12-12-06, 12:03 AM
solo_stage
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you press the button on the door. it'll lock... =) you walk up to it. and touch it and it'll open!... whoa la! =) or use ur key to lock and unlock
Old 12-12-06, 12:11 AM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by solo_stage
you press the button on the door. it'll lock... =) you walk up to it. and touch it and it'll open!... whoa la! =) or use ur key to lock and unlock
Good job Ms. Expert!
Old 07-09-17, 10:05 AM
glemke
Driver School Candidate

i love the auto lock feature - does anyone have trouble with the car being unlocked when you walk up to it after locking it when you walk away?
Old 07-10-17, 05:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by glemke
i love the auto lock feature - does anyone have trouble with the car being unlocked when you walk up to it after locking it when you walk away?
Eh? The IS does not have an auto lock feature. Well, it has an auto-relock feature that re-locks the doors if you unlock it and then never open the door, but not one that locks it when you get out of the car and walk away.
Old 07-10-17, 11:43 PM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My IS doesn't lock itself but my 04 corolla did lock itself after 5-10 minutes if I forgot. Was a nice feature
Old 07-11-17, 09:53 AM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by laovo
My IS doesn't lock itself but my 04 corolla did lock itself after 5-10 minutes if I forgot. Was a nice feature
I would hate that. I have my car in a locked garage and go out to my car sometimes to grab something without my keys, why would I want it locked when I got there?

Quick Reply: Does Your IS Lock Itself?