IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

GPS Positioning problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 01:07 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Yeah, my problem is pre-hack as well. No problems since getting the upgrade, but I'm still searching for a way to override!
Has the percentage of time that the GPS logo appears under the map scale (indicating a good GPS signal) changed at all since you got the 2007 disc? What percentage of the time would you estimate that you have a good signal?
Old 10-27-06, 01:54 PM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
ok, great...i have been reading those other threads.

it is NOT a fact that Lexus is aware of the problem.
it is NOT a fact that the 06 nav has a problem.
it is NOT a fact that a software fix is available.

but i read the other threads and i understand the nature of the issue and the troubleshooting that is going on but i just didn't want anyone else to read this particular post and then sit in their 06 nav and believe their equipment has been acknowledged as defective by Lexus WHEN IT HASN'T BEEN.
Good Lord, man! Chill out. People in this very thread had mentioned the upcoming software fix. The only reason I said, "as has previously been posted" is so I wouldn't seem like someone with revolutionary new news, i.e. stealing the thunder of people who had previously mentioned it.

I know all of the things you mention as not being facts to be true, because the software fix was applied to my car about a week ago. A representative from Lexus corporate was at the dealer the day they examined my car, which is why the dealer chose that day to have my car there. He stated that Lexus is aware of the problem with the '06 navs, which is why they created this software "fix" disc. So far (again, it's only been about a week), the software fix seems to have worked. As I mentioned in my original post, the fix does however remove the ability to do the hack allowing destination entry while in motion.

So, on what do you rely to make your emphatic statements that my statements weren't factual?!

In response to the other poster who asked how this can be a software fix when it worked fine for eight months, all I can say is that I got mine in January and never had a problem in until August. I don't have the technical knowledge to explain what the fix was or how it caused the problem. I'm just relaying what happened with my situation and what I was told.

Sorry to have tried to provide some helpful information.
Old 10-27-06, 05:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Consider yourself part of a beta program.

Software patches are usually available through TIS, and there is always a Technical Service Bulletin accompanying any software updates. There is no TSB on the TIS website for the nav in an IS. This is why Ken responded the way he did.

I am also a skeptic. I don't doubt they did something to your car, but it isn't production code yet because it isn't available through normal distribution channels. I suspect you are a beta customer now. Just MHO.
Old 10-27-06, 05:49 PM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

lobuxracer,

You may be correct about me being a beta tester. I don't know anything about the TSB's, so you have more knowledge than me there. I'm not sure what you're skeptical about. If you're skeptical that there is a universally available fix through "normal distribution channels," I would say you're probably right that there is not. However, my statements all remain true. Lexus is aware of a problem as reflected by the statement by the corporate rep from Lexus who said as much, and there is a software update disc "available," whether or not it is intended to be universally applied at this point. It is obviously available, since it was overnighted to the dealer and used on my car. I think Ken could have expressed skepticism like you did without directly assailing my veracity.

As I said, so far, so good with the update. I, too, harbor some skepticism that this software fix will ultimately resolve the issue, but they seemed pretty confident it would. I can say that prior to the fix, my nav was "seeing" about 5 or 6 satellites and connecting to 2-5 (intermittently). Today, it was "seeing" about 9, and connecting to 6-7 (on an overcast day). So, that does give me some hope that something was actually done that may resolve the problem.
Old 10-27-06, 07:42 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, why is that when i reply it's taken to the extreme and that i should chill. i'm not really pumped up, it's just the way i type. really. you wouldn't be the first one to say this, so i kinda believe it....i'm working on it.

i apologize that i came off as assailing your veracity.
Old 10-28-06, 11:25 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Ken. I appreciate that.
Old 10-29-06, 10:41 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pete C
Today, it was "seeing" about 9, and connecting to 6-7 (on an overcast day).
What does it take to get into the system and verify the number of satellites?
Old 10-30-06, 05:39 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES3
What does it take to get into the system and verify the number of satellites?
On the original '06 system, you can get to it through the destination limitation override (volume screen, corners, etc.), then press the GPS menu. Now that I can't access that screen, I have to use the Info button-parking light switch maneuver to get to the other service menu. Then, I go to the GPS menu and press "GPS Information."

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look at the following threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167666

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191734

Edit: The satellites that are connected will have a "P" next to them. At the bottom of the screen you should see "3D" if it is connecting properly (I'm pretty sure "3D" appears when 4 or more satellites are connected -- it means it can determine your position as well as your elevation).
Old 10-30-06, 09:02 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

On the original '06 system, you can get to it through the destination limitation override (volume screen, corners, etc.), then press the GPS menu. Now that I can't access that screen, I have to use the Info button-parking light switch maneuver to get to the other service menu. Then, I go to the GPS menu and press "GPS Information."

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look at the following threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167666

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191734

Edit: The satellites that are connected will have a "P" next to them. At the bottom of the screen you should see "3D" if it is connecting properly (I'm pretty sure "3D" appears when 4 or more satellites are connected -- it means it can determine your position as well as your elevation).
Thx a bunch. Are you certain there is NO way to get into the '07 nav override through any of these menus?
Old 10-30-06, 10:26 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES3
Thx a bunch. Are you certain there is NO way to get into the '07 nav override through any of these menus?
If there is, I haven't found it yet. I'm anxiously awaiting the day someone figures it out, though.
Old 10-30-06, 10:33 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

If there is, I haven't found it yet. I'm anxiously awaiting the day someone figures it out, though.
You and many others of us!
Old 11-09-06, 09:22 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

Has anyone found a solution to the GPS problem yet? Has anyone seen if putting in the new '07 (version 6) navigation disc fixes the problem?

Has anyone tried pulling the fuse for the GPS unit and letting the unit restart fresh to see if that helps?

Last edited by sickntired; 11-09-06 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-09-06, 06:08 PM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sickntired
Has anyone found a solution to the GPS problem yet? Has anyone seen if putting in the new '07 (version 6) navigation disc fixes the problem?
Yes, Lexus installed an updated 5.1 nav disc (not 6.1), which fixed the problem that I and many others were having. I would contact your dealer and have them do the same for you.

Below are the numbers from the updated 5.1 disc that I received from Lexus, which are different than the original disc that came with my car back in '05:

October 2006:

U30
86271-53020
5-464210-092
DATA ver. 05.1

October 2005:

U00
86271-33034
464210-0640
DATA ver. 05.1

Mr. Lex

Last edited by MR LEX; 11-09-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 07:44 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the new V5.1 October 2006 disc still have the software override?

Originally Posted by MR LEX
Yes, Lexus installed an updated 5.1 nav disc (not 6.1), which fixed the problem that I and many others were having. I would contact your dealer and have them do the same for you.

Below are the numbers from the updated 5.1 disc that I received from Lexus, which are different than the original disc that came with my car back in '05:

October 2006:

U30
86271-53020
5-464210-092
DATA ver. 05.1

October 2005:

U00
86271-33034
464210-0640
DATA ver. 05.1

Mr. Lex
Old 11-14-06, 07:50 AM
Pete C
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
Does the new V5.1 October 2006 disc still have the software override?
Unfortunately, no.

Quick Reply: GPS Positioning problem