IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Someone with good electronic knowledge please help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 03:46 PM
tragic22
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone with good electronic knowledge please help...

I won't be getting the navigation system with my IS 250 purchase but I'm determined to have some sort of navigation system in my IS and not one of those little Tom Tom stick on your winshield navigations. From what I've read it seems like its not possible to have any kind of aftermarket in-dash monitors installed and work on the IS 250 so I'm trying to find the next best thing.
I have a PDA which has microsoft xp and I'm thinking to buy and install the software Microsoft Streets & Trips with GPS Locator (which is a complete navigation system for PDAs and laptops that can calculate everything a stock navigation can and gives you voice -guided turn by turn directions because of GPS Locator you have to keep with you) on my PDA. However I dont want to have to view the navigation through my tiny PDA screen. What I'm trying to figure out is if it would be possible to have my PDA plugged into say a 7" VGA touchscreen monitor and be able to view and operate everything that is on my PDA on the 7" monitor???? I'm not sure where I would put the screen to be honest maybe a drop-down or something , I really dont know I'll figure that out later. Right now I'm just trying to figure out if that is even electronically possible. I know there are some technologically advanced people on this forum so I'm hoping someone can help me.
Old 07-30-06, 04:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you need to do a little bit more research. the setup that you describe is actually bigger and more complex and probably just as expensive as a nice, thin, standalone gps device with a 7" display.

for that kind of expertise, you'll probably need to visit a pda forum. i don't think you can port a windows ppc to an external screen and keep all the functionality but i could be wrong. seriously why go thru all the trouble when you can use a treo or something? if you're that serious into gps, you should reconsider the stock nav.

p.s. you sure your pda is running windows xp?
Old 07-31-06, 01:34 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

double-din IN dash Nav Unit.

Eclipse for example. Do a search on google.

It can be done, but the install might be some goood $$$ alone
Old 07-31-06, 06:13 AM
tragic22
Rookie

That pretty much defeats the point because I'd probably end up spending more money on all the custom car work required to integrate a double-din nav than if I was to just get the stock nav.

The thing is I've worked out a deal already and I dont want to spend more than a certain amount on a car. I rather see if its somehow possible for me to somehow add a navigation system that wont have to run through one of those tiny Garmin screens.
Anybody have any ideas on how I can have nav in my car even if its not integrated into the whole system? To be honest I wouldn't mind having one of those Garmin or Tom Tom navs if they made one that had a decent sized screen.
Old 07-31-06, 08:16 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

No, i dont think the setup that you are proposing is possible.

I used PDA base navigation + bluetooth + NAVTEQ Iguidance software in my Nissan Murano.
All the information about such setup can be obtained from a very good forum such as gpspassion.com. And as far as I can remember, there is no one in the gpspassion.com forum ever done what you are proposing. The graphic card in the PPC will not be able to 'up' the resolution to external 7" screen to begin with. You'd have to add another external 'video card" somehow to the pocket pc to upgrade its display capability and I have never seen this kind of gadget before.

What you can do is do a carputer project. (7" touch screen + a small mini computer stacked in the trunk). Do a search in google, a lot of sick install and neat carputer forum outhere. :-)

Or, the standalone GPS like garmin, magellan etc

Or, in dash NAV unit (just like t0e said).

Last edited by SugarRush; 07-31-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 08:19 AM
yov6cam
Driver

for all that hassle, it's not gonna be cheap, I strongly recommend you reconsider the navigation..it's DEFINITELY worth it
Old 07-31-06, 08:31 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pda is going to be outta the question. Geting a double din in there is just as bad but nicer and more doable. The tom tom idea is the next best thing. And the best is figureing out away to get the factory Navi in your budget. Or makeing you budget fit to it. You wont regret it.
Old 07-31-06, 08:59 AM
Airwolf
Driver School Candidate

Do yourself a HUGE favor..

Don't try to outsmart yourself because you will loose.

Get the built-in NAV.

In the long run, it will look better, work better, and cost a lot less.
Besides, do you realy want a clugedup mess of wires, PDA, entennas all over your passenger seat?

Trust me on this one.