IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Strange "thunks" in dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 11:16 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange "thunks" in dash

I've had my 350 for about 10 or 12 days now, and I've come to notice a strange sound inside my dash. When I turn left, it "thunks" on the right (inside, behind the airbag area), and when I turn right, it "thunks" on the left side (way over by the A-pillar, behnd the instrument panel).

These thunks sound kinda like a couple of golf ***** are trapped inside there somewhere, and they roll over and bump into something else when I turn. Needless to say, the dealer will get this one, even though I cringe at the thought of them tearing my dash all apart.

I almost have to wonder if some Japanese assembly line worker is laughing right now, telling his buddies how he put the golf ***** inside that American sucker's IS.
Old 07-27-06, 12:39 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything in your glovebox that may be making the noise. I heard something similar but after narrowing down the sound I realized it was being caused by items in the glovebox sliding on the felt. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-06, 12:39 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

I had this sound.... and I didnt know what it was.... until I realized that my cologne bottle had rolled under my seat from the back passenger seat, and whenever i turned, it would make a clunk sound. You should look around..... because at first I didnt know where the sound was coming from....until I realized I couldnt find my cologne.
Old 07-27-06, 01:38 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the ideas, guys, but i did a search before I decided it is inside the dash. I really haven't had the car long enough to put much stuff in it, but that was my first thought when I heard it. There is nothing at all in the glovebox - nada, and I've taken anything that could make noise out of the door pockets, console, etc.

No, I'm convinced it's something inside the recesses of the dash.
Old 07-27-06, 01:56 PM
yoja
Driver School Candidate

Mike_TX, I was waiting for someone to post a thread about this. I have that exact thing, and at first I thought it was gravel hitting my windshield or something while I drove. Let me know if you find a fix.
Old 07-27-06, 04:00 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

On a semi-related "assembly line mischeif" note we chopped the top on a friends 78 Lincoln... lo and behold when we removed the vinyl top we found the words "Drink more beer" written in glue. The top was held on for 20+ years by the phrase "Drink more beer". Hilarious.
Old 07-27-06, 04:23 PM
sdub74
Rookie

Originally Posted by david_s
Is there anything in your glovebox that may be making the noise. I heard something similar but after narrowing down the sound I realized it was being caused by items in the glovebox sliding on the felt. Just a thought.
I had the same thing happening also, I could have sworn it was something in the glovebox, but it turned out to be an access card I stashed in the sunglass holder sliding back and forth whenever I turned.
Old 07-27-06, 04:46 PM
SportyStar
Driver

Interesting, hope it's nothing serious. I also hear "thunk" sounds when I make turns, but in my case it's invariably due to something rolling around in the trunk.

Last edited by SportyStar; 12-18-23 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-27-06, 04:46 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdub74
I had the same thing happening also, I could have sworn it was something in the glovebox, but it turned out to be an access card I stashed in the sunglass holder sliding back and forth whenever I turned.
I stow my Serengetis in the holder, but I'm wearing 'em when I hear this!

(Good thought, though ...)
Old 07-28-06, 04:21 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I've had my 350 for about 10 or 12 days now, and I've come to notice a strange sound inside my dash. When I turn left, it "thunks" on the right (inside, behind the airbag area), and when I turn right, it "thunks" on the left side (way over by the A-pillar, behnd the instrument panel).

These thunks sound kinda like a couple of golf ***** are trapped inside there somewhere, and they roll over and bump into something else when I turn. Needless to say, the dealer will get this one, even though I cringe at the thought of them tearing my dash all apart.

I almost have to wonder if some Japanese assembly line worker is laughing right now, telling his buddies how he put the golf ***** inside that American sucker's IS.
I had similar problem and I was about to bring it to my dealer's service dept but then I checked the sunglasses holder on top and I took out a pack of gum from there and that noise is gone. Check that and see. Hopefully that's what it was.
Old 07-28-06, 06:15 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suprafrank
I had similar problem and I was about to bring it to my dealer's service dept but then I checked the sunglasses holder on top and I took out a pack of gum from there and that noise is gone. Check that and see. Hopefully that's what it was.
Well, I'm embarassed (but pleased) to say you guys are right. I had mentioned that I was wearing my sunglasses when I heard the thunk ... but I forgot that my second pair was in there. And, yes, the thunk stopped when I took 'em out. Doh!

But I'm sure glad it was so easy to fix that thunk.

(And I would have sworn the sound was coming from the dash, too!)