How long did PDi take for you? Stevens Creek Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 05:48 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did PDi take for you? Stevens Creek Lexus

Hey all,

Well I finally did the deed and bought my IS250 ... I am really excited ... especially since I already sold my other car and need something to drive.

I had a question on how long PDI usually takes. I purchased the car late Friday night, in fact that is the day it arrived. And I asked if Saturday was possible since I am carless and have a relative flying in. But I am being told some PDI equipment is having issues (Lexus of Stevens Creek), and that my car would not be ready until Tuesday or Wednesday.

Is this normal? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 07-22-06, 08:51 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If done correctly, PDI takes about an hour.
Old 07-22-06, 09:17 PM
Sun3rgy
Driver School Candidate

i bought mine from stevens creek too, and they got it to me the same day, about 2 hrs or less after the PDI
Old 07-22-06, 09:46 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I showed up and stepped right in.

But mine was an ordered car, and parked in front of the sales floor when I got there. Kinda cool when the sales guy shooshed the other "buyers" away from it for me.....
Old 07-22-06, 10:24 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry i'm an idiot... but what does pdi stand for???
Old 07-22-06, 11:10 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

P.D.I.
Stands for pre-delivery inspection; also referred to as "prep." A vehicle is supposed to have its fluid levels, tire pressure, running condition and so on checked out before the consumer takes delivery of it. Although most manufacturers pay a fee to their dealerships to do this inspection, many dealerships do not with the intent of keeping this money as extra profit.

Yeah it doesn't seem like something that would take too long. I feel like they are delaying for some reason that I can't explain. Unless they are really backed up. Afterall, the car did just come in that day I bought it. It was still in plastic and stuff.

Anyone else?
Old 07-23-06, 07:32 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

I bought my car in the evening -- saw it in the lot covered in plastic. Picked it up the next afternoon, looking great, filled with gas, all checked out and ready to roll.

The delay for PDI you are experiencing is not normal. Every day the car sits on their lot is a day that they are paying interest on it. Normally they want you to take posession ASAP so that they get their cash. What piece of equipment are they saying is broken?
Old 07-23-06, 12:22 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
I bought my car in the evening -- saw it in the lot covered in plastic. Picked it up the next afternoon, looking great, filled with gas, all checked out and ready to roll.

The delay for PDI you are experiencing is not normal. Every day the car sits on their lot is a day that they are paying interest on it. Normally they want you to take posession ASAP so that they get their cash. What piece of equipment are they saying is broken?
They didn't specify ... to me, for lack of a better phrase, it is making my "spidey-sense" tingle. Being that I bought the car late Friday, could there be a possible delay by them to ensure that my finances are in order? Oddly enough they sent me home with the owners manual, extra key and my signed documents ...

... any ideas?
Old 07-23-06, 01:22 PM
tgara
Pole Position

The dealer may be short-staffed due to vacations, etc. Or perhaps their PDI personnel had a family emergency. Hard to say, but reasonable explanations exist. Why not just ask them.

As for delivery, our IS arrived on a Monday, but we arranged to pick it up that Friday since that fit schedules better. We could have picked it up on Thursday, but this was the salesman's day off. He offered to come in specially for us to do the delivery, but I told him to do it the next day when he was in on his regular schedule. People work hard, and I respect their time off. He was surprised at that.
Old 07-23-06, 02:23 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

dont worry exilio ... atleast you got it! .... er getting it soon! few more days.... plus its too hot to drive =P

after you get it, you can come out to the NorCal 2IS meet when you get ur car.. its gonna be 7/30 10am.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...40#post2016540

list so far:
1. wolverine
2. imaputz
3. chubbymike
4. flipsonic (50/50)
5. buhda (50/50)
6. ldynred
7. menech
8. optical_X
Old 07-24-06, 11:48 AM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. I did some research and came across a great web site that talks about dealership scams. I think what might be going on with me is the #1 scam on their list. Take a look and maybe it can help you guys avoid any craziness like this. I would really expect more from a Lexus dealership.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm
Old 07-24-06, 11:57 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

i bought my car from stevens creek exilio..... i dont think they are trying to scam you.... they are pretty top notch imo.
Old 07-24-06, 12:10 PM
exilio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imaputz
i bought my car from stevens creek exilio..... i dont think they are trying to scam you.... they are pretty top notch imo.
Thanks for the good thoughts man. I am hopeful you are right.