IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sharkfin - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 06:37 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sharkfin - how does it work?

How does the shark fin antenna work anyway?

1) Do you need to rewire the existing antenna in the 2IS to the fin?
2) Do Sirus and XM require sharkfin?
3) Where is the stock antenna in the 2IS? I can't find it.
4) Where can you get it? and also get it painted?
5) Tape it? Why would you do that? Will it fall off?
Old 07-16-06, 08:41 PM
rys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorttt
How does the shark fin antenna work anyway?

1) Do you need to rewire the existing antenna in the 2IS to the fin?
2) Do Sirus and XM require sharkfin?
3) Where is the stock antenna in the 2IS? I can't find it.
4) Where can you get it? and also get it painted?
5) Tape it? Why would you do that? Will it fall off?
First, the Sharkfin antenna only comes on Japanese 2IS for 2006, supposedly it will be on the next 2007 2IS US models as well.

Sirius and XM currently do NOT require the Sharkfin, there is an external antenna that can either be installed on the trunk lid (Factory Recommendation), or on the rear deck (Custom Installation). Also, the Satellite Nav antenna is located behind the rear view mirror on the windshield. There currently is no reason to install a sharkfin on the 2IS unless you want if for the appearance.

The stock radio antenna for the 2IS is in the rear window. (In the glass)

You can order the shark fin antenna from Japan or from a US dealer that can order parts from Japan, I am not sure where, and I do not know if they come painted.

You can tape it, it will adhere if done properly and it will not fall off.

-Brian
Old 07-16-06, 09:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by rys
Sirius and XM currently do NOT require the Sharkfin, there is an external antenna that can either be installed on the trunk lid (Factory Recommendation), or on the rear deck (Custom Installation).
That's the XM antenna. Lexus Sirius antennas install on the windshield.
Old 07-16-06, 09:44 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
That's the XM antenna. Lexus Sirius antennas install on the windshield.
Where? The NAV antenna is already on the windshield behind the rear view mirror? Where do you place the Sirius antenna?

It makes no sense to install Sirius in the front of the vehicle. It's possible to install it in the front or the rear depending on how Lexus makes the fit kit. There's a "network" of audio components that have a bus that runs from front to rear. A device can be added anywhere along this bus. (Usually Lexus will opt to have the user interface the bus at the rear amp).

-Brian
Old 07-17-06, 06:45 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by rys
Where? The NAV antenna is already on the windshield behind the rear view mirror? Where do you place the Sirius antenna?

It makes no sense to install Sirius in the front of the vehicle. It's possible to install it in the front or the rear depending on how Lexus makes the fit kit. There's a "network" of audio components that have a bus that runs from front to rear. A device can be added anywhere along this bus. (Usually Lexus will opt to have the user interface the bus at the rear amp).

-Brian
Bichon is correct - Lexus places the Sirius antenna in the front window. From the FAQ section on the Lexus website:

"From a continental US national perspective, the trunk mounted antenna provides the best XM satellite radio signal reception for sedans as does the front window mounted Sirius antenna. For SUVs, the antennas for both XM and Sirius are mounted on the roof. Installation of antennas in areas other than those recommended by the manufacturer could lead to a degradation of satellite signal and poor reception."
Old 07-17-06, 08:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rys

-Brian
In addition to the quote from the Lexus website that Lenscap provided, you'll also find this in one of the stickies for the audio forum here at Club Lexus:

"When you go to a Lexus dealer to have Sirius installed, they will install a custom kit for Lexus vehicles in your car. This kit includes a triangular antenna that was made specifically for Lexus/Toyota, and it fits up next to your rear-view mirror, at the top of the windshield glass, on the INSIDE of your car."
Old 07-17-06, 09:29 AM
rys
Pole Position

As I mentioned, that's already where the NAV antenna is, does any one have a real picture of the Sirius install?

-Brian
Old 07-17-06, 09:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rys
As I mentioned, that's already where the NAV antenna is, does any one have a real picture of the Sirius install?

-Brian
Not on the 2IS, since the kit isn't out yet, but there are plenty of pictures of it on the current generation GS, which has the same rear-view mirror setup as our car. The sirius antenna is the triangle on the left (the white box on the right is an EZpass transponder)

Old 07-17-06, 09:46 AM
rys
Pole Position

Do you not have NAV?

That's where the Navigation antenna is located on my 2IS.

-Brian
Old 07-17-06, 10:00 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rys
Do you not have NAV?

That's where the Navigation antenna is located on my 2IS.

-Brian
That's not my car. It is a picture of a Sirius antenna on a GS300.

I do have nav, but I'm not in my car right now to look at the antenna. I'd assume that if there is already an antenna behind the passenger side wing of the rear view mirror, the dealer would put it behind the driver side wing.
Old 07-17-06, 12:12 PM
rys
Pole Position

I found the install manual for the GS300. It shows that the module actually hooks into the amp in the trunk. The antenna is actually routed to the front of the vehicle, up the column, and placed on the front windshield.

There are a variety of reasons that Lexus would opt NOT to do this on the IS. First being the curtain airbag. Toyota traditionally avoids removing the A pillar for any kind of dealer installed option if the vehicle is equipped with a curtain airbag in the A pillar.

The only reasons that I can see that they would have installed the antenna in this fashion on the GS are: 1. Asthetics, and 2. The Antenna provided is not weather proof.

I expect that the final Sirius fit kit for ths IS will have a rear mounted antenna. (Rear deck or rear window).

Of course, I could be wrong, I have been before.

-Brian
Old 07-17-06, 12:52 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

The GS also comes standard with side curtain airbags and I believe the connector for the 2IS and 3GS are in roughly the same place in the trunk. My crystal ball says the install instructions for the 2IS will look remarkably similar to the ones you found for the GS. But I'm just speculating too. Guess we'll have to wait until the until the kit is released to know for sure. If you were local, I'd wager a cold beer on this one.