Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I even got a compliment from a guy driving a 330i
Old 07-11-06, 02:43 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dngo27
a lil off subject but every now and then, i ll spot another 2is on the freeway and drive next to it, just to admire it and say to myself 'dayum.. that car looks sweeeeeeet' .... lol.

yeah i almost rear ended someone cuz i was staring at a carerra gt on the fwy.
staring at cars while driving =

edit:

and one time a girl was staring at my car (though i tell my friends she was actually staring at me ). we were at a red light and she was in the left turn lane. light turn green for her and i had to point to the green light and let her know she can go now. gyeah~

Last edited by Navigatn; 07-11-06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-11-06, 05:08 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

SuperLexy Quote:
Has anyone ever owned a Wrangler? Now, *that* is a vehicle that has garnered a "family" following...

No matter where you drive in the 'States, there is an unsaid "Jeep Wave" that you are supposed to give to other Wrangler drivers as you pass by them (supposed to happen with all Jeeps, but only really does with the Wrangler). In fact, you almost get offended if you wave and it's not reciprocated--no joke! If you ever see two Wranglers together, watch closely and the drivers will wave to each other...

It was a lot of fun to be part of this "club" while I had my '99 TJ. Man, I miss those times...gave you the warm fuzzies everytime someone waved at you. Although, I must admit, that car needed so much maintenance...

Anyone else in here ex-Wrangler owners? It's too bad we can't generate a similar type of mentality with our ISes...we're too stuck up, I guess.
Yeah I know what you mean my wife currently owns a Wrangler and here in Utah you get waves from other jeep guys every five min. I guess thats why she wants to ride in the 2IS all the time....tired of all the waving
Old 07-11-06, 09:27 PM
IS3FIDDY
Driver

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Yeah I know what you mean my wife currently owns a Wrangler and here in Utah you get waves from other jeep guys every five min. I guess thats why she wants to ride in the 2IS all the time....tired of all the waving
Haha, yeah, that's the effect of the Jeep Wave alright...you love it and you hate it...trust me, 4 years removed from my black/tan TJ and I'm missing that camraderie amongst the Wrangler owners...felt special...she will too if she ever gets rid of it.

Well, at least we're driving something more fun and comfy now...
Old 07-12-06, 05:30 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
When I pass another 2IS, I'll usually shoot over a friendly wave. I guess most 2IS drivers are not car enthusiasts; I've found the gesture is rarely returned.

Youll get one back from Bichon... the older ones wont do anything, but the younger crowd definately gets it...

Just yesterday I dropped off my gf at her Volvo dealership to pick up her car and while I was parked near the showroom windows, a bunch of people came close to the car and pretended to act like they werent looking... really really weird because I could tell they wanted to know more about the car, but were afraid to ask...

my favorite move is the care-free walk to the back of the car to read what the make and model is... that always cracks me up cause I catch them in my rear-view every time.
Old 07-12-06, 05:35 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperLexy
Has anyone ever owned a Wrangler? Now, *that* is a vehicle that has garnered a "family" following...

No matter where you drive in the 'States, there is an unsaid "Jeep Wave" that you are supposed to give to other Wrangler drivers as you pass by them (supposed to happen with all Jeeps, but only really does with the Wrangler). In fact, you almost get offended if you wave and it's not reciprocated--no joke! If you ever see two Wranglers together, watch closely and the drivers will wave to each other...

It was a lot of fun to be part of this "club" while I had my '99 TJ. Man, I miss those times...gave you the warm fuzzies everytime someone waved at you. Although, I must admit, that car needed so much maintenance...

Anyone else in here ex-Wrangler owners? It's too bad we can't generate a similar type of mentality with our ISes...we're too stuck up, I guess.
I've found the same to be common among Miatas/MX-5, Elements, rotary engine people, and especially those who ride motorcycles.
Old 07-12-06, 06:01 AM
mariabee
Driver School Candidate

Hi -- I am a lurker now posting for the first time. I recently traded in my 2004 Audi A4 for an IS 250 AWD. I'm so glad I did. I think the Audi had a little more pep (it was a 3.0, 225 HP), but after I endured a cracked cylinder head at 19,000 miles, I decided I had had enough of the "German driving experience." Anyway, I can honestly say I have seen maybe one other IS in my area. I live in a suburb of NY. I see dozens and dozens of Bimmers and Audis, and many, many RX330s, but no one else seems to have an IS. And mine is BWB, which I know is rare for a Lexus to begin with. Maybe I'll start to see more, now that I'm an owner. (Like when you're pregnant and all of a sudden you seem to be seeing pregnant women everywhere!)

At any rate, I LOVE having a unique car. I don't know if people are checking my car out or not, I'm so busy just trying not to look at the NAV and keep my eyes on the road!! I do have a good friend who recently bought an Acura, and when he saw my IS he had instant buyer's remorse. I don't think a lot of people are aware that Lexus now makes a sport sedan. I stumbled upon it because I knew I wanted a Lexus (reliability, people, is the name of the game for me after my Audi experience!!) and was happy to see they had an AWD sedan.

I tried to put myself on the map and see where other IS's are, but for some reason the server here at my office won't let me access the map. So I'm reading the threads trying to discern where y'all live. I'm glad I found this place, you are all so helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 07-12-06, 06:08 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mariabee
Hi -- I am a lurker now posting for the first time. I recently traded in my 2004 Audi A4 for an IS 250 AWD. I'm so glad I did. I think the Audi had a little more pep (it was a 3.0, 225 HP), but after I endured a cracked cylinder head at 19,000 miles, I decided I had had enough of the "German driving experience." Anyway, I can honestly say I have seen maybe one other IS in my area. I live in a suburb of NY. I see dozens and dozens of Bimmers and Audis, and many, many RX330s, but no one else seems to have an IS. And mine is BWB, which I know is rare for a Lexus to begin with. Maybe I'll start to see more, now that I'm an owner. (Like when you're pregnant and all of a sudden you seem to be seeing pregnant women everywhere!)

At any rate, I LOVE having a unique car. I don't know if people are checking my car out or not, I'm so busy just trying not to look at the NAV and keep my eyes on the road!! I do have a good friend who recently bought an Acura, and when he saw my IS he had instant buyer's remorse. I don't think a lot of people are aware that Lexus now makes a sport sedan. I stumbled upon it because I knew I wanted a Lexus (reliability, people, is the name of the game for me after my Audi experience!!) and was happy to see they had an AWD sedan.

I tried to put myself on the map and see where other IS's are, but for some reason the server here at my office won't let me access the map. So I'm reading the threads trying to discern where y'all live. I'm glad I found this place, you are all so helpful and knowledgeable.
The N.E. section may be of some use to you as well. Posting there may find you some contacts within your immediate area if you're looking.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/northeast-21/
Old 07-12-06, 06:13 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default The carefree walk to the back of the car...

Elicits suprise on mine, being debadged except for the black pearl "L" logo on the trunk. All else is clean & mysterious. They continue to walk around it bug eyed, shaking their heads.
Old 07-12-06, 10:00 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1993 Ducati 888 gets more looks and comments than any vehicle I have owned!

http://bc.smugmug.com/gallery/163513/3/6104640/Large

But I get them quite a bit with the IS as well,
Old 07-12-06, 11:06 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnduc
My 1993 Ducati 888 gets more looks and comments than any vehicle I have owned!

http://bc.smugmug.com/gallery/163513/3/6104640/Large

But I get them quite a bit with the IS as well,
THAT is a sweet bike...

Javier
Old 07-12-06, 03:02 PM
dana_daen
Driver

Originally Posted by Navigatn
i had to point to the green light and let her know she can go now. gyeah~

Thats some funny ish
Old 07-12-06, 03:48 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solomoan
Elicits suprise on mine, being debadged except for the black pearl "L" logo on the trunk. All else is clean & mysterious. They continue to walk around it bug eyed, shaking their heads.
Shaking their heads because they see holes on your Lexus? Just joking.
Old 07-12-06, 03:53 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

I routinely get "nice car" remarks from valet parkers and gas station attendants.

I've gotten thumbs up from WRX Sti drivers that I beat(!)

Most of the admiring looks/thumbs up sign from other drivers I've gotten have been from African Americans - proof they heve good taste.

BMW drivers seem to looked pissed when looking at me - usually passing them.
Old 07-12-06, 05:04 PM
jc957
Rookie

Thumbs up

I've definately noticed getting looks from all different types of folks. While flattering, one time, some guy was paying too much attention to the car instead of driving. Next thing I know, he's drifting into my lane and almost ran us off the damn road. Guess it could be worse...just have to live with that "danger" of driving the IS!!

Quick Reply: Random stranger props count +1