IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those with HID highbeams/DRL

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 07:06 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for those with HID highbeams/DRL

My car is currently at the bodyshop getting the rock blasted bumper painted and new headlights installed. I already have the LUX pkg with HID. I was considering doing the HID for the highbeams before remembering that its also used as the DRL (daytime running lights). I quickly refered to the XENONDEPOT web site where it states that the DRL function must be turned off.

For those of you with the conversion is this what you guys did? Or are you just leaving them on and continuing to run the highbeam as DRL?? If so what are your opinions on doing so?? are they too bright, draw to much attention??

I wanted to get your opinions as it is expensive in man hours to keep pulling the bumper and lights off. I wanted to do any retrofit now since the bumper is off and I have the oppurtunity.

Thank guys in advance....
Old 06-01-06, 07:27 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex-Luther
I already have the LUX pkg with HID. I was considering doing the HID for the highbeams...
If you have Lux (or Sport) you already have high beam HIDs...

Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps:

An inner shade retracts within the headlamp, allowing the High-Intensity Discharge (HID) light to work as both a low and high beam. This results in a brighter high beam, since conventional HID headlamps only function as low beams. The Bi-xenon feature now enables high beams to rotate as part of the Advanced Front Lighting System (AFS) in order to better illuminate curves.
Old 06-01-06, 07:44 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't like the yellow DRLs switch your lights from auto to on
Old 06-02-06, 08:26 AM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TimboIS

An inner shade retracts within the headlamp, allowing the High-Intensity Discharge (HID) light to work as both a low and high beam. This results in a brighter high beam, since conventional HID headlamps only function as low beams. The Bi-xenon feature now enables high beams to rotate as part of the Advanced Front Lighting System (AFS) in order to better illuminate curves.

I am speaking of specifically the high beam (The none prjector part of the headlight. This is a 9005 Halogen bulb.

BUMP!! and input on the HID highbeams??
Old 06-02-06, 03:23 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I personally would not reccomend upgrading the high beams for 2 reasons:
- HID bulbs take a moment to fully warm up and reach the desired light output. In situations where you need to flash someone ( a quick burst of light) your HID high beams would not be very functional.
- It is strenuous on the components to have them turned on/off repeadetly ie: flashing someone.

Just my 0.02 cents=)

STeve
Old 06-02-06, 06:14 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimboIS

I'm not sure I buy this. I've tried to notice a difference in the light output and beam cutoff of just the HID when switched from low to high, and I can't see any difference; furthermore, if the HID bulb and projector was truly a bixenon fixture as described, why do we have halogen high beams as well (which also function as a DRL)? If it worked as described, that DRL bulb would be nothing more than a DRL bulb (which my dealer turned off for me).
Old 06-02-06, 06:30 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

If your vehicle has Bi-Xenon you would not have a separate high beam bulb... At least I wouldnt see the point in that.

Steve
Old 06-03-06, 10:04 PM
Lex-Luther
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
If your vehicle has Bi-Xenon you would not have a separate high beam bulb... At least I wouldnt see the point in that.

Steve

Thanks Steve for the good advise.
Old 06-04-06, 06:25 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XenonDepot

Steve

My car has the sport package, which includes HID - however the window sticker just says HID + AFS with no mention of bi-xenon. On Lexus.com the sport package says - Bi-xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
- Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)

Hmmmm...