IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket HID issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 09:47 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID issues

Ive had a set of XenonDepot H11 6000k HIDs installed on my car for about 5 months. Recently, when i had the lights set on AUTO only one of the lights would come on. In order to get them both to come on I would have to turn the lights to the OFF position then turn them back to AUTO/ON. It isnt just one side eaither, it alternates from time to time. one day it will be my driver side, the next my passenger side. It doesnt happen all the time either, only about every 2-3 days. What do you guys suppose the problem is? any help would be great.
Old 05-31-06, 09:55 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you checked all your wiring to make sure that the connections are good? Generally speaking if a component is defective is just doesnt ignite.
Old 05-31-06, 10:10 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

every connection appears to be fine.
Old 05-31-06, 11:01 PM
johung
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

has anyone else had this same problem??
Old 05-31-06, 11:05 PM
teejnut
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by johung
has anyone else had this same problem??
i had this problem once but i was turning on and off my foglights a few times, since then no problem.

sbasinger-are your lights turning on and off a lot with the headlight switch set to AUTO?
Old 05-31-06, 11:13 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

Originally Posted by teejnut
i had this problem once but i was turning on and off my foglights a few times, since then no problem.

sbasinger-are your lights turning on and off a lot with the headlight switch set to AUTO?
its not that they randomly shut off...they just dont come on. once i turn them off and on they work fine
Old 06-01-06, 06:05 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Yes. If the lights are getting turned on/off continuously this may happen.

However, under normal use this should not.

Please email me direct at info@xenondepot.com and we can work to figure this out!

Steve
Old 06-01-06, 06:36 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you are saying that your kit should work fine if the lights are set too auto?

I thought that letting the light turn on before starting the car was bad(due to the voltage drop at start up).
Old 06-01-06, 06:38 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

If the lights get turned on/off continuously than no I do not reccomend it. However if it just standard on/off normal use i do not see why it would make a difference unless there is some sort of fluctuation in current from the OEM headlight harness.

Steve
Old 06-01-06, 06:52 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I am not sure about the IS, but on my 3000GT the voltage drops like a rock on start up. from 14V down to 11V. And you can see the headlights dim. On the IS there is no voltmeter though I did not see the dimming headlights.
Old 06-01-06, 08:19 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sbasinger
Ive had a set of XenonDepot H11 6000k HIDs installed on my car for about 5 months. Recently, when i had the lights set on AUTO only one of the lights would come on. In order to get them both to come on I would have to turn the lights to the OFF position then turn them back to AUTO/ON. It isnt just one side eaither, it alternates from time to time. one day it will be my driver side, the next my passenger side. It doesnt happen all the time either, only about every 2-3 days. What do you guys suppose the problem is? any help would be great.
I dont have the xenondepot kit but rather the MTEC 6000K on my IS but I had the same issues.
my driver side would sometime go off. When I got them installed, the shop told me not to
set it to auto as it may *uck up or burn the bulb(?) not so sure but I have never turned my
headlight on auto mode. Anyways, someone on this thread stated that by flipping the wires
should fix the problem. Haven't done it my self but if this continues, I might try that

Good luck!
Old 06-01-06, 09:25 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

How would a fluctuation in the oem harness cause the aftermarket harness to not support the HID ballast? What kid do you have? is it the one with the phillips ballast or the cheaper kit. Most aftermarket hid components have a tendency to fail or fail to ignite due to poor quality electrical components. Try checking the + connection on the aftermarket harness that goes to your battery, it might have oxidation, either the harness is not supporting the start up amprage of the ballast or the ballast are defective.
Old 06-01-06, 09:28 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Just noticed you have Mtec hid kit, it appears the ballast are either rebased hella or phillips ballast (hopefully) if thats the case then those ballast require quiet alot of energy at start up, more then most newer generation ballast. If those ballast are just knock-ofs made to look like hella/phillips ballast then its probably just poor quality electronic components.
Old 06-01-06, 09:33 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vicestan
Just noticed you have Mtec hid kit, it appears the ballast are either rebased hella or phillips ballast (hopefully) if thats the case then those ballast require quiet alot of energy at start up, more then most newer generation ballast. If those ballast are just knock-ofs made to look like hella/phillips ballast then its probably just poor quality electronic components.
Thanks for the reply. I did hear that these are rebased ones but how can I check?
Is there a specific like serial # or something like it that I can check?
Old 06-01-06, 09:42 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Why not just not use the auto function if that seems to solve the problem?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID issues