3.35%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 07:14 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have an after taxes income of about 80k making my $390/month Audi lease payment 5.8% of our after tax income. The 4runner is paid for. No payment.
Old 05-23-06, 11:32 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
who was the person who said that his/her car payment was 80-90% of their income?
First, was it a joke?
Second, If not, why?
It's possible that it's not a joke. Why? Because maybe they live at home and they want to pay off their car real fast.

Personally? I do about 30-40% of my gross salary, more if you do net of course. Why? Because I want to go back to school for a MBA at some point so I won't always have the money flowing in that I have now. Yes, I live at home w/ my parents. I'm 21, graduated college, working full-time for over a year, like 4TehNguyen, as an engineer.

Why do I live at home?
a.) I work in Silicon Valley.
b.) my mom works at the same company (albeit making several times my salary).
c.) I already have a gf, no need to have my own place to impress women
Old 05-23-06, 11:38 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AznJason

It's possible that it's not a joke. Why? Because maybe they live at home and they want to pay off their car real fast.

Personally? I do about 30-40% of my gross salary, more if you do net of course. Why? Because I want to go back to school for a MBA at some point so I won't always have the money flowing in that I have now. Yes, I live at home w/ my parents. I'm 21, graduated college, working full-time for over a year, like 4TehNguyen, as an engineer.

Why do I live at home?
a.) I work in Silicon Valley.
b.) my mom works at the same company (albeit making several times my salary).
c.) I already have a gf, no need to have my own place to impress women
Do like me and work full time and go to MBA classes full-time and have your company pay for it.
Old 05-23-06, 12:08 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My monthly IS payments work out to about 10% of my gross salery. Not too bad considering I am putting about 25% into my retirement portfolio. I own my own home, not married, no children, and the IS is my only vehicle. I live in an area where the cost of living is lower than the national average, so my salery is lower almost in proportion. However the price I paid for my IS was near normal retail prices I have seen from across the US.
Old 05-23-06, 12:12 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
HAHA!!!! Dude, unless you're in high school, that's nothing to brag about.

Mine is quite low (<3%) because my gross monthly income is high. If you factor taxes out, the percentage goes up of course. Then again, I pay more in taxes per year than many of you make as a total annual salary. But don't get me started on that.... it won't be pretty.
i could also add I live in texas, super low cost of living vs the rest of the nation
Old 05-23-06, 01:09 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Certainly not his only car. Probably one a dozen.
I can't say for sure that the towncar is his only car, but I know for a fact that he doesn not own anything close to a dozen personal automobiles. Mr. Buffet is extremely frugal for a man of his wealth. He still lives in a home that he purchased 50 years ago which is I believe worth around 500k now although he doesn have another 2mil home in california where his ex-wife lives (i think). He stated in his speech/presentation to the my school and couple other universities that were there that he will be donating almost of all of his $40 billion to his foundation when he passes away. He did not accumulate all his wealth because he wanted to spend endlessly, but because he loved investing and had fun doing it.
Old 05-23-06, 02:58 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Mr. Buffet... I can use some donation...
Old 05-23-06, 03:16 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Zero!

I always pay cash for my cars. In my early 20's, I was "car poor" all the time, spending 10% or more on cars and trading every couple of years. This left very little spare money for savings. Fortunately, I turned this around and with the help of my companies savings plan I was able to invest 7% of my gross salary and they would match 50% of my contributions. Over the years, this has grown into a considerable nest egg. I can now afford to pay cash for most any car I want, but find it difficult to waste money. I still shop for value - what car best meets my needs and desires at the right price. I no longer need (or want) to impress my neighbors and friends with the size of my home nor the price of the car I drive. I am a Lexus owner because for me they represent the best overall value.
Steve
Old 05-23-06, 06:59 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I have 2 cars, 06 IS 350 and an 06 S2000. My payments are 698. and 694 and ins is 250 for both. I'm at 18% PTI w/cars and ins. Gross of course, taxes suck. :'(
Old 05-24-06, 01:28 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

I think it comes down to the simple quote.... "To each his own"
Everyone has a different thought process or strategy for their finances and financial situation. Some people are more fortunate than others. As far as I'm concerned, it really doesn't matter how much money you make. If you are happy with what you have, then that is that. My boss makes 350-400k per year and drives a GX470. Us employees harass him constantly and tell him he should get what he really wants which is an AMG 55 since he can more than afford it. Ya know why he doesn't.... 2 kids and a baby, a new 2 Mil.$ house, and a wife that says no! Everyone has their reasons for what they choose to drive and if someone else thinks its dumb or weird, fine. They simply don't know the other person.

That being said, I think that this thread was started to simply get an idea of what people spend out of their monthly checks on their cars, not to rant and rip on people who make too much or not enough money.

Let's get back to our *****in' cars and I'll just shut up now.
Old 05-24-06, 04:24 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Originally Posted by ocdavid
I think that this thread was started to simply get an idea of what people spend out of their monthly checks on their cars, not to rant and rip on people who make too much or not enough money.
You are correct.
Old 05-25-06, 02:59 AM
fm.watch
Driver School Candidate

Paid cash FTW.
Old 06-04-06, 02:20 AM
goober007
Rookie

Originally Posted by james6290
who was the person who said that his/her car payment was 80-90% of their income?
First, was it a joke?
Second, If not, why?
I have a friend who got a tsx and after carpayments + insurance + gas comes out to +60% of his takehome income and i think he's really regretting it....
Old 06-04-06, 06:40 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by goober007
I have a friend who got a tsx and after carpayments + insurance + gas comes out to +60% of his takehome income and i think he's really regretting it....
Ummm...I think that qualifies as "car poor".
Old 06-07-06, 08:18 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hashs99
Why is 25k a month soooo unbelievable?? I own 5 restaurants and take home an average of 15 - 20k / month. Upwards of 30k during the good months. Heck I only drive a 250!!!

I think the IS is plenty of luxury for me and at 40k it has everything most expensive cars have plus more (technology wise). Eventually though I do plan on getting a Ferrari!!!! Can't imagine how much my insurance would be though, maybe I'll wait 5 years to reach 30 and be married.
I used to have a Ferrari - insurance was surprisingly only $3,800 a year. There was a company somewhere in CA that would insure it for $1800/year, but it was for limited miles, and if it wasn't in your garage, they wanted to know. You had to send them letters letting them know it was at the dealership!

Quick Reply: Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment