IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-15, 05:45 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me where the tabs are!?? This is the rear sides of the rear windshield. Is this where the rattle fix is!???? Help asap

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it-20150518_193314.jpg

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it-20150518_193309.jpg

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it-20150518_193320.jpg
Old 04-12-16, 08:47 PM
06350F
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone had success with this
Old 04-15-16, 01:52 PM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I copied this from a post a while back but have yet to do the repair myself. I hope this helps.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If the rear windows have the same fitment as the front windshield, the solution must be the same. There is a TSIB that applies to all Lexus models '03-'07. The TSIB number is NV005-06 Revised September 18, 2006.

Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

"Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper".

This made a lot more sense! That metal tab is what is tapping on the windshield, so bending it away from the glass solved the problem.

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!

Sure. The little black tab you cut is sticking through a silver metal bracket that is mostly flat but folds up toward the windshield glass at the end. That folded piece gets very close to the glass. What I did is put a flathead screw driver horizontally in between the metal bracket and the glass and very gently twisted the screwdriver to a vertical position, which created a larger gap between the bracket and the glass. That's it!

Sorry, I don't have pics. I did this repair 2 years ago and sold the car not long afterwards. The instructions from the referenced toyota/lexus guides are sufficient to get you the right part, and you will see the black plastic tabs whose tips need to be broken off. The pics in there are accurate. Just don't forget the magic (essential!) last step of using a flat head screw driver to now bend the metal bracket gently away from the glass. That's what's hitting the glass! The silence is blissful! Get up in there and you will see it and be so happy when you are done! Good luck!
Old 04-18-16, 08:59 AM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

That was my post navarachi is quoting and while I went back to German cars several years ago, I'm happy to stay on this thread and offer help because that noise drove me insane for way too long! I'm not much of a car fixer guy but did do this work myself, and the repair makes sense in that it is a metal bracket that is tapping the glass and it only happens when the glass/metal expand in the heat. Once you have access to the brackets you can just bend them away a tiny bit from the glass, and your sanity will be restored! Most of the work is undoing the lining, and the challenge is craning your head and body back up into that area so you can see what you are doing. Detailed instructions are provided by Toyota but it's the combination of two different repairs notes... as one leaves off with clipping those plastic tabs and fails to take you through to the final step of bending the metal away. When I did this the first time I only clipped the plastic tabs, which didn't make sense as to how this was the problem or would fix the problem... and no surprise that it didn't. I dug around for more information and found the second trouble shooting guide that mentioned those metal tabs, and that solved the problem, for good! Summer is here, get 'er done now

John