IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 09:35 AM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty

Does the extended warranty have to be purchased at the point of sale?
How much did you pay for your extended warranty?
Does the warranty have to be purchased from the dealer who sells the car?

Lorna

P.S. I did use the searh this time
Old 04-20-06, 09:37 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

1. I believe the car comes with a 6 month warranty(?) you can buy your warranty later I assume(?)
2. $1600 for 7yrs/100k
3. No, you can shop outside.
Old 04-20-06, 10:57 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imaputz
1. I believe the car comes with a 6 month warranty(?) you can buy your warranty later I assume(?)
2. $1600 for 7yrs/100k
3. No, you can shop outside.
I actually talked them down to $1500 for the warranty w/o any hassle... I ultimately still decided not to do it. I'm sure I could've talked them down to $1400 or lower. They make a decent amount from extended warranty I think
Old 04-20-06, 11:35 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

For the most part you shouldn't need an extended warranty. However if you drive a lot and go over the mileage you may want to purchase one. Yes, they do make $$ of the extended warrantys hoping they just pocket the money and not have to do any work.
Old 04-20-06, 11:36 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

Default extended warrentee

Do not buy at point of sale. It can be purchased anytime up to 6 months before the manufacture's warrantee ends. If something happens to the car say it is totaled you loose the $'s so that is why it is best to wait.
Old 04-20-06, 11:44 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
Does the extended warranty have to be purchased at the point of sale?
How much did you pay for your extended warranty?
Does the warranty have to be purchased from the dealer who sells the car?

Lorna

P.S. I did use the searh this time
I would only buy an extended warranty from the dealer. In the past I purchased one from a 3rd party, and even though I got my money out of it, it was always a hassle.

Much easier to get the warranty from Lexus and then just drop the car off.
Old 04-20-06, 10:57 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

Originally Posted by pearl85
Do not buy at point of sale. It can be purchased anytime up to 6 months before the manufacture's warrantee ends. If something happens to the car say it is totaled you loose the $'s so that is why it is best to wait.

But doesnt it cost more money when you buy it later? I remember with GM extended warranties the price went up considerably the longer you waited.

lorna
Old 04-21-06, 04:03 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
But doesnt it cost more money when you buy it later? I remember with GM extended warranties the price went up considerably the longer you waited.

lorna
That I don't know. I do know that I financed the warranty, so it added like $35 a month to my payment.
Old 04-21-06, 04:32 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Your standard warranty supplied by Lexus includes:

Bumper to bumper:
The coverage lasts for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Wheel alignment and balancing, however, are covered for 12 months or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first.

The Lexus Powertrain Warranty lasts 72 months or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. Which includes:
Engine
Cylinder block and head and all internal parts, timing belt and cover, flywheel, oil pan, water pump, fuel pump, engine mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.

Transmission and Transaxle
Case and all internal parts, torque converter, clutch cover, mounts, engine control computer, seals and gaskets.

Front-Wheel-Drive System
Driveshafts, axle, hub, bearings, seals and gaskets.

Rear-Wheel-Drive System
Differential carrier assembly, driveshaft, axle carrier, axle case, axle bearing, axle shaft, seals and gaskets.

Hybrid Vehicle System
Coverage lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, on Hybrid control module, battery control module, Hybrid vehicle battery pack and inverter with converter.

Most of you aren't going to keep your vehicles long enough to get out of the warranty period anyway, so why you feel the need to hand over $1500 to a dealership for something that won't be needed for AT LEAST 48 months or 50,000 miles is beyond me.
Old 04-21-06, 05:38 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcfly

Most of you aren't going to keep your vehicles long enough to get out of the warranty period anyway, so why you feel the need to hand over $1500 to a dealership for something that won't be needed for AT LEAST 48 months or 50,000 miles is beyond me.
It should be obvious to you that if anybody is asking about extended warranties that they OBVIOUSLY plan on keeping their car beyond the warranty period. I mean DUH.
Old 04-21-06, 05:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
It should be obvious to you that if anybody is asking about extended warranties that they OBVIOUSLY plan on keeping their car beyond the warranty period. I mean DUH.
You really think that? Dealers must all be insane then... because they know that they're selling a warranty to people that most will never make use of. Why do you think they push it so hard?

Oh, and you're an *** by the way. DUH!
Old 04-21-06, 05:45 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

it enhances the resaleability if you dont keep it for the full warranty period. Its still worth it for non powertrain related items over 4 years. Probably 2-3 repairs will pay for itself
Old 04-21-06, 05:53 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
it enhances the resaleability if you dont keep it for the full warranty period. Its still worth it for non powertrain related items over 4 years. Probably 2-3 repairs will pay for itself
99.9% of dealer sold extended warranties are non-transferrable. Read the fine print.
Old 04-21-06, 06:05 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

99.9% of dealer sold extended warranties are non-transferrable. Read the fine print.
lexus site gold and platinum packages indicates its a 50 dollar transfer fee, warranty transferable one time only, unless the dealer is using a different warranty

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty...ice/index.html
Old 04-21-06, 10:27 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

You really think that? Dealers must all be insane then... because they know that they're selling a warranty to people that most will never make use of. Why do you think they push it so hard?

Oh, and you're an *** by the way. DUH!
Sorry I hurt your feelings. If you hadn't made a smart *** statement I wouldn't have said DUH. But you did, so I did. The only thing that I dislike in these forums are smarmy members who think they know it all or who have the need to diss [or give their opinion in a smart *** manner to] people for doing something feel they don't need to do.

So my point is this. It's none of your business why people buy extended warranties, or at what time during their ownership of the car they purchase said warranties. You should think before you write. Maybe people have the money to do it when they are buying their car. Maybe they want to get it over with and not worry about it. Maybe they feel it increases the value of the car if they sell it. There could be an infinite # of reasons why people do what they want.

So, the "you're an *** comment" just shows how witty (NOT) you are, your age (or rather level of maturity) and/or your IQ.

Last edited by dkaplan435; 04-21-06 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty