IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does it happen to you ?
Yes
51.76%
No
48.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Do people challenge you to race ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 02:49 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badman Forever
just came back tonight from a race w/ an evo viii mr.
he wouldn't race me off the line because he didn't think it would be fair.
so we went from a 20mph roll up to about 120mph.
we were dead even up to 120, after that he started to pull but the race was cut off right then.
we both agreed it was a draw.
Wow... talk about a guy that doesn’t know his own car (The Evo guy). The Evo and Sti are so fast mainly because they have huge traction from a stop. The Evo is actually extremely slow from a roll. You should slap that Evo owner around. I cant believe an Evo owner wouldn’t race from a start...

The IS350 should actually be able to pummel an Evo from any rolling speed. The Sti is different since it does not have a lot of lag boost problems.
Old 03-26-06, 02:49 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

yeah and i show them who is boss too . . . oh wait im still talking about my cobra!

people around my area do that stuff all the time though, its really ridiculous. I really loved it a couple weeks ago when a old civic hatchback came next to me and kept pulling forward and falling back to me. I dropped it in 2nd and let their ears bleed

Old 03-26-06, 02:56 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Street racing is idiotic. It's also extremely ricey.
Old 03-26-06, 04:30 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

So what this car is faster than that car? Everyone has $40k can have a IS350, what does it prove?
Old 03-26-06, 05:14 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just this morning...I woke up late for soccer-.-...and when i stop at a red light on the right lane...
I think a civic stop next to me...it was tuned...and MT...
The guy want to turn right on next light...but I was late for the game...so we kind of have a race...
I didnt put my car into sport ECT and just leave it at AT...shift under 4,000 rpm...
and smoked him after few seconds the light turn green...and he had a shifting miss too=..=
I stop accelerate when i hit 60 mph...becoz there are too many cops in the morning-.-...
but...still enough to win the civic ~.~

And I remeber one night at 12 am...I was extremly tired when I going back home...
When I get off the free way and waiting the red light...a CLK320 stop next to me...
I didnt notice at first...but he start very fast when the light turn green...
I was a little bit slow becoz i didnt notice it...
I catch up just few second later and pass him...
We both slow down when I saw my car has already driving over 100mph...
I only hit 3/4 of my gas pedal...and at normal ECT and AT mode...

Last edited by ybing; 03-26-06 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-26-06, 05:59 PM
LexFather

lol, this is like all the GS 400 owners back in 1998......
Old 03-26-06, 06:13 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
So what this car is faster than that car? Everyone has $40k can have a IS350, what does it prove?
Proves nothing...but it's still fun
Old 03-26-06, 07:03 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by casey225
I took Jeff Gordon and Earnhardt Jr. earlier today. I wish the Indy circuit would come through town and I bet I could take them, too, except that chick that drives, I would probably let her "finish on top"
Actually the Honda Grand-Prix is coming here next weekend!!!! I'll be there for the race!!
Old 03-26-06, 07:16 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
Just this morning...I woke up late for soccer-.-...and when i stop at a red light on the right lane...
I think a civic stop next to me...it was tuned...and MT...
The guy want to turn right on next light...but I was late for the game...so we kind of have a race...
I didnt put my car into sport ECT and just leave it at AT...shift under 4,000 rpm...
and smoked him after few seconds the light turn green...and he had a shifting miss too=..=
I stop accelerate when i hit 60 mph...becoz there are too many cops in the morning-.-...
but...still enough to win the civic ~.~

And I remeber one night at 12 am...I was extremly tired when I going back home...
When I get off the free way and waiting the red light...a CLK320 stop next to me...
I didnt notice at first...but he start very fast when the light turn green...
I was a little bit slow becoz i didnt notice it...
I catch up just few second later and pass him...
We both slow down when I saw my car has already driving over 100mph...
I only hit 3/4 of my gas pedal...and at normal ECT and AT mode...
I was driving today, and got passed by a Plymout Reliant... And then the 2 lane street became a 1 lane street, so he won. And congrats on smoking the honda civic.
Old 03-26-06, 07:18 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
Doesn't traction control turn on automatically @ 30mph? it's truly amazing how people in this thread think they've beat M3's, '06 corvettes, etc. in "races"

I think there is a lot of dreaming going on, or maybe the people you think were racing you weren't. Many times I've started "racing" at a light, only to let up. If you weren't at the track or didn't pre-arrange the "race" don't fool yourselves into thinking the other party gave it everything they had, etc..
Yeah, if you press the little trac button, it turns on at like 25 or 30.... But I did the "overide" with the brake brake e-brake e-brake brake brake. When you do that, it turns off and stays off until you turn the car off. And I talked to the driver of the CLK500 while we were at the second light and it was agreed that we were going to "race." (and yes, I did the override while I was at the light.) And I know he was trying because when the light turned green we both layed a good amount of rubber down. I took my car to about 120mph when I let off and he was still trying.... So I don't know what other excuses you guys want to make, we raced and I won!!!
Old 03-27-06, 12:49 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
I was driving today, and got passed by a Plymout Reliant... And then the 2 lane street became a 1 lane street, so he won. And congrats on smoking the honda civic.
shouldn't be happy smoked a civic = =+...
Old 03-27-06, 05:30 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ybing
shouldn't be happy smoked a civic = =+...
I was joking!
Old 03-27-06, 07:42 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

This weekend I was driving around and I pulled up next to a Ferrari Enzo. I knew he wanted to race to prove that his car was better than mine. When the light turned green we both took off. We were pretty even up to about 100, and then I started pulling ahead. Man I bet that guy wishes he had a Lexus instead of a Ferrari.

Then I was driving past Newark airport and there was a plane on the runway that totally wanted to race me. I knew it would be no contest, but I thought I would play along. It was close at first, but then I started pulling ahead. I don't know who won because the plane took off shortly after.

But who cares, I know my IS350 is the fastest vehicle man has ever created.
Old 03-27-06, 12:41 PM
IS350_F1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
This is LUDICROUS! And I'm not talking about the singer...

I will give you the G35's, and maybe the 350Z's - but Vette's? And you were even with a 911 on a highway of all places? for 3 miles?? Were you guys going in an out of traffic I assume? I can't imagine no traffic for 3 miles on a highway - so either he wasn't dodging in and out as much as you, or he wasn't really racing in the first place....

My buddy has a rised up Accord, and he beat me on the highway when I was in my M5!!! Why? because I wasn't racing!!!!!!

First up... if the 911 has but 19 more bhp than the IS350, would it not be down to the drivers of said machinery? 19 extra BHP is a must if you have to play catch up... yeah it was in traffic...
We ran them and it was close enough to call a draw... so we did.
Old 03-27-06, 02:29 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350_F1
First up... if the 911 has but 19 more bhp than the IS350, would it not be down to the drivers of said machinery? 19 extra BHP is a must if you have to play catch up... yeah it was in traffic...
We ran them and it was close enough to call a draw... so we did.
Dude - it's a 911. Don't look at HP ratings, German manufacturer's are notoriously ultra conservative with these. Not to mention - it's geared for fast driving on highway, Autobahn, etc.

I had a 911 Carerra, and my friend had a 2003 911 - there is no possible way the IS could keep up with no traffic.

In traffic makes more sense though, so it could be up to the drivers discretion. My opinion is that it's very dangerous. In traffic, you may smoke me in the M5 or SRT8.

General rule: If you have to make another non-competing driver hit their brakes, or you have to hit yours (if for anything other than a cop), then you shouldn't be playing in the first place!

Quick Reply: Do people challenge you to race ?