IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does the IS350 stand a performing chance against the 335i?
yes
59.09%
no
40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-06, 01:54 PM
amdmaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about I make a childish banter and make ya a blind bet that 335 stick shift will be faster 0-60 than IS350?
who is the child now?
Also, if US gets Turbo'ed 3.0, I wont even go into tuning potentials... start saving for supercharger on your IS350 to compete..

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Rule "1.
Read before you write

NO ONE SAID THAT STRAIGHLINE ACCELERATION MAKES A CAR

Rule 2

Be nice

We have no idea what a 335 can do, to say it will destroy ANY car is childish bantering.
Old 02-26-06, 01:56 PM
amdmaxx
Driver School Candidate

20 lb wont make that much of a ditribution difference in 3600lb pound car..
the turbos are small.. and nothing is certain for US market..
are u saying IS350 is front heavy compared to IS250?

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Let's not forget that the added weight of the turbo will throw off the BMW's coveted 50/50 weight distribution unless they decide to throw some sand bags in the trunk. With the weight distro not being perfect, the handling will suffer and one of their biggest positives goes out the window.
Old 02-26-06, 02:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by amdmaxx
How about I make a childish banter and make ya a blind bet that 335 stick shift will be faster 0-60 than IS350?
who is the child now?
Also, if US gets Turbo'ed 3.0, I wont even go into tuning potentials... start saving for supercharger on your IS350 to compete..
GOod for you Seems to me some of you guys are just holding your breath waiting to say
"my car is faster than yours"

sigh

Lets just hope this doesn't happen
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/7494631-1.html

http://bimmerforums.com/forum/showth...ighlight=vanos

at this point, I love the 330, I love the IS 350, I am sure the 335 will be a beast and all 3 are tops in class. Period.
Old 02-26-06, 02:12 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by amdmaxx
who is the child now?
Why do the BMW fanboys always seem to troll.

Back to the discussion the turbos will weigh much more than 20lbs and I would still have much more money left in the bank to do whatever I want with after a purchase of a IS350 over the 335 since BMW will most likely charge a hefty premium for the 335. The 335 is not replacing the 330 so that leaves the doors open for price gouging.
Old 02-26-06, 02:41 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default mannnn

I can't wait until the bmw comes out, I bet it will crush everything!
Not many people have pushed a car to the limits, so the comparison before the birth is dumb.
IMO the speeds people are hitting in a stock is350 are amazing for a loaded lux car! I know one thing for a fact, it will be cheaper to own a lexus.
Old 02-26-06, 03:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The performance of the proposed 335 is all speculation, but I think it would be safe to say it should handle as well as the current 330i, but be much faster. What doesn that mean? The 330i in every reveiw and test so far when it comes strictly to the performance numbers has beaten the IS350 in every category except for acceletaion. The 330i beats it in the slolam test, the braking, the skid pad, and Motor Trends figure eight test. The IS350 has the 330i clearly beat in any acceleration test. So, Like 1SickLex just posted up a page or so ago, "NO ONE SAID THAT STRAIGHLINE ACCELERATION MAKES A CAR" he is right. The IS350's edge on the 330i is only in accelearion when it comes to performance. If the turbocharged 335i makes up this difference the IS350 will no longer have a significant acceleration advantage. This is all objective and can be measured.

Now, if one wanted to be subjective and simply choose the car they like better, or choose the interior they feel is nicer or better then the IS350 definately is a competitor and many would even say the leader. That doesn't address the original topics question as too wheather the IS350 would be able to hang with the new 335 turbo when it comes to performance. Well, like many already said, nobody knows since the car isn't even out yet. What we do know is that while the IS350 puts up close performance numbers to the current 330i, the BMW still holds the edge strictly by the numbers. The IS350 clearly out accelerates the 330i as it is now, and the 335i turbo should more than likely be at least 0.5 seconds faster than the current 330i. If the 330i still has the performance edge now, the 335 turbo should probably retain and even stretch that edge a bit.

If people say that these maximum performance numbers mean nothing in the real world and it just can't be used in daily driving, then we shouldn't be comparing these types of cars at all and just be talking about Civic's and Corolla's as they get the job done just fine. When it comes to the segment of sports sedan's, buyers buy into it because they like performance. That is the reason why Lexus made the IS350 in the first place as opposed to just the IS250 which is more than adequate for 99% of buyers and their daily driving.
Old 02-26-06, 05:44 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The performance of the proposed 335 is all speculation, but I think it would be safe to say it should handle as well as the current 330i, but be much faster. What doesn that mean? The 330i in every reveiw and test so far when it comes strictly to the performance numbers has beaten the IS350 in every category except for acceletaion. The 330i beats it in the slolam test, the braking, the skid pad, and Motor Trends figure eight test. The IS350 has the 330i clearly beat in any acceleration test. So, Like 1SickLex just posted up a page or so ago, "NO ONE SAID THAT STRAIGHLINE ACCELERATION MAKES A CAR" he is right. The IS350's edge on the 330i is only in accelearion when it comes to performance. If the turbocharged 335i makes up this difference the IS350 will no longer have a significant acceleration advantage. This is all objective and can be measured.

Now, if one wanted to be subjective and simply choose the car they like better, or choose the interior they feel is nicer or better then the IS350 definately is a competitor and many would even say the leader. That doesn't address the original topics question as too wheather the IS350 would be able to hang with the new 335 turbo when it comes to performance. Well, like many already said, nobody knows since the car isn't even out yet. What we do know is that while the IS350 puts up close performance numbers to the current 330i, the BMW still holds the edge strictly by the numbers. The IS350 clearly out accelerates the 330i as it is now, and the 335i turbo should more than likely be at least 0.5 seconds faster than the current 330i. If the 330i still has the performance edge now, the 335 turbo should probably retain and even stretch that edge a bit.

If people say that these maximum performance numbers mean nothing in the real world and it just can't be used in daily driving, then we shouldn't be comparing these types of cars at all and just be talking about Civic's and Corolla's as they get the job done just fine. When it comes to the segment of sports sedan's, buyers buy into it because they like performance. That is the reason why Lexus made the IS350 in the first place as opposed to just the IS250 which is more than adequate for 99% of buyers and their daily driving.
The only reason the 330 beat the 350 in the slalom is that the rags did not deactivate the VDIM.

I think you also need to factor price into the equation. Again purely speculation, but with high probability, the 335i will be significantly more expensive than an equivalently equipped IS350. If you say that price doesn't matter then your argument holds no water. We need to compare apples with apples and I believe the IS350 is one of the best overall bangs for your buck out there.

Last edited by Scotty99; 02-26-06 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 08:58 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Is there a button on the console or dash for that?
Unfortunately, you know as well as I do, no. However, they could have done the video game cheat procedure to deactivate it like they just recently did for the IS250 in a review last month. BMW's electronic nanny can easily be deactivated to a much higher level, one of the disadvantages with the Lexus. It is primarly when pitch and yaw comes into play (i.e. slalom) that the 350 VDIM becomes intrusive.
Old 02-26-06, 09:07 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I think you also need to factor price into the equation. Again purely speculation, but with high probability, the 335i will be significantly more expensive than an equivalently equipped IS350. If you say that price doesn't matter then your argument holds no water. We need to compare apples with apples and I believe the IS350 is one of the best overall bangs for your buck out there.
Price is definately a considerarion and should be factored in on a review. However, the question is simply if the IS350 will be able to keep up performance wise with this supposed new BMW 335 turbo. Price has no meaning in this case as this is not a review of the two cars. It would be like asking if the NSX can compete with the Ferrari 430 in performance and factoring in the fact the NSX only cost half of what the Ferrari does. Performance is performance.

The IS is definately a great value and probably the best bang for the buck in its class. There is no argument there.
Old 02-26-06, 09:15 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, you know as well as I do, no. However, they could have done the video game cheat procedure to deactivate it like they just recently did for the IS250 in a review last month. BMW's electronic nanny can easily be deactivated to a much higher level, one of the disadvantages with the Lexus. It is primarly when pitch and yaw comes into play (i.e. slalom) that the 350 VDIM becomes intrusive.
The reviewers of the IS250 did not deactivate the VDIM on that car either since no IS250s come equiped with VDIM to begin with. They can't deactivate something that the car doesn't have. As you mentioned in your posts above we need to compare apples to apples. In this case it is simply run what you brung. Lexus does not allow the user to deactivate certain functions so that is no fault but their own. Saying it could do better if you hack the computer is like saying if you hack the chip in the turbo BMW it will be that much faster. Sure, it can be done, but you have to evaluate the car with what the manufactuerer gives you.
Old 02-26-06, 09:28 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
The reviewers of the IS250 did not deactivate the VDIM on that car either since no IS250s come equiped with VDIM to begin with. They can't deactivate something that the car doesn't have. As you mentioned in your posts above we need to compare apples to apples. In this case it is simply run what you brung. Lexus does not allow the user to deactivate certain functions so that is no fault but their own. Saying it could do better if you hack the computer is like saying if you hack the chip in the turbo BMW it will be that much faster. Sure, it can be done, but you have to evaluate the car with what the manufactuerer gives you.
Excuse me, I got the acronym wrong. The 250 has VSC which is a watered down version of the new VDIM system. And yes, the magazine did go through the silly sequence to deactivate VSC which is similar to the VDIM deactivation. You can argue that any car can be hacked or tweaked for better performance, but I think most will agree Lexus was a little too agressive on the electronic nanny side when it comes to pitch and roll type driving dynamics. However, I have so far never had a problem with VDIM.

Last edited by Scotty99; 02-26-06 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 09:36 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Excuse me, I got the acronym wrong. The 250 has VSC which is a watered down version of the new VDIM system. And yes, the magazine did go through the silly sequence to deactivate VSC which is similar to the VDIM deactivation. You can argue that any car can be hacked or tweaked for better performance, but I think most will agree Lexus was a little too agressive on the electronic nanny side when it comes to pitch and roll type driving dynamics. However, I have so far never had a problem with VDIM.
No argument on my side. Lexus electronic aids IMHO on the GS and IS is a little too much. The IS is a great car don't get me wrong. If it has a slightly larger back seat room and available navigation in my state I would buy one. No car is perfect, but it looks good enough to me to overloook the style parts I don't like, has a typical great Lexus interior, awsome power, competes well against the king of its class (The 3 series) and has good value compared to its competition. You can't really ask for too much more.
Old 02-26-06, 09:58 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doubt they'll release the 335i until the new M3 comes out.. It wouldn't
make too much sense to have a 335i and an m3, they're too simlilar in performance
Old 02-26-06, 10:00 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

For those who wants to take the car to the track where VDIM deactivation becomes more relevant, who cares what the magazines did or said as long as you know how to deactivate the VDIM ( & more importantly, you are good enough a driver to drive that way safely ). It's not like you have to take the magazines with you all the time to keep reminding yourself how much fun you can have with your car (I hope) LOL

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-26-06 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-26-06, 10:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
i doubt they'll release the 335i until the new M3 comes out.. It wouldn't
make too much sense to have a 335i and an m3, they're too simlilar in performance
The new M3 will be a V8 said to have ~ 400 hp, the 335i is said to have only about 306 hp . . .

Quick Reply: IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i