IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Does the IS350 stand a performing chance against the 335i?
yes
59.09%
no
40.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 10:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Straightaways only, but when you hit canyons and curves, the Bimmer grabs the IS by the golgobas.

Def. Golgobas: (Indian) meatless ***** cooked in sticky sweet yogurt. Sweet sticky *****...
that is true but i find this BMW will outhandle the IS argument to be situational. Honestly does anyone even drive that aggressively everyday so that differences can be seen b/t the two cars. Under normal driving which 99.9% of people do there is little to no difference between the two.

I find it funny in any 3 series vs IS arguement you see "oh, well the BMW outhandles the IS" but no other arguments for the 3 against the IS
Old 02-25-06, 10:22 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
performance-wise, I think the Beamer will have a slight advantage....
LOOKS-WISE....I can't stand the new 3 series exterior...especially the back....and the interior is too blah as IMO...
reliability...no contest....IS
price...no contest...IS
Totally agree here
Old 02-25-06, 10:47 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
that is true but i find this BMW will outhandle the IS argument to be situational. Honestly does anyone even drive that aggressively everyday so that differences can be seen b/t the two cars. Under normal driving which 99.9% of people do there is little to no difference between the two.

I find it funny in any 3 series vs IS arguement you see "oh, well the BMW outhandles the IS" but no other arguments for the 3 against the IS
Actually, several reviews have shows that the IS keps right up with it in raw "handling" numbers but all the reviewers say that the 330 "feels" better.

The Is350 actually loses reviews becasue the 330 "feels" better when driving at 95%+ driving. They dont take in to effect the other 95% of things that make the IS350 a better car period.
Old 02-26-06, 09:38 AM
LexFather

We dont even know how the new damn car performs, hold ya'lls horses lol
Old 02-26-06, 09:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we will have to wait for the official specs when the car is released, but I think that some other people have made a few good points. I had not heard that the 335i was going to be a model above the 330i, I thought that it was going to replace it. If that's the case, then like someone else said...I don't really care to know the base price because it's likely to be astronomical.

Another thing to consider here...this new engine isn't going to do anything other than shave a second or so off the 0-60 time of the 330i. The number of people who buy this car will be even less than those who want the extra 30HP that the 330i delivers over the 325i. I think this car is more about publicity than rationale on BMW's part. The IS 350 and even C350 have been handing them their *** at the dragstrip and a new G is around the corner which is sure to show them all up, so BMW is probably just making this car in an effort to play in the horsepower race. Good for them but we all still lose sight of the fact that acceleration is one aspect of a car. The IS is still going to be better looking, have a better interior, be higher quality, better service, and can still blow the doors of 95% of the other cars on the road. Being faster to sixty doesn't make it a better car, and even then, the IS could still be faster.

I don't know many people outside of online forums who don't cross-shop cars before choosing to buy one. To the person looking for more power than an IS 250 or 325i, I don't think that .5 of a second in 0-60 (if that) difference between an IS 350 and 335i is going to be the icing on the cake. Obviously the IS 350's performance isn't going to change much until maybe a refresh of some sort, but even then...is 0-60 in 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 seconds not fast enough for you people? Even though IMO it's going to be unnecessary, they could bump the displacement since the new GR engines are supposed to be capable of more than 100hp/L, or so I read somewhere.

The IS and the 3 are somewhat different takes on a similar theory. I don't think that extra ponies make the new 335i any better than the IS350 because 1) the cars are different in several aspects and 2) different strokes for different folks. The 3 that we have now is it. They can up the power and change the wheels and headlights, but it's the same basic car. The same car with a lack luster interior, fabulous chassis, and spotty reliability record. I don't doubt that any of the 3's are great cars, but I don't think that Lexus or anyone else needs to fear the 335i as the second coming of christ like some forums are doing.

-Michael
Old 02-26-06, 10:03 AM
amdmaxx
Driver School Candidate

335 STICK SHIFT will destroy IS350.. Lexus needs proper manual to compete..
And rule #23: Straight line acceleration doesn't make the car..
Old 02-26-06, 10:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

No one or two criteria should make the car, it's the OVERALL package, with everything taken into equal consideration, that should make the car.
It's usually personal preferences that determine each individual's choice.
Old 02-26-06, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by amdmaxx
335 STICK SHIFT will destroy IS350.. Lexus needs proper manual to compete..
And rule #23: Straight line acceleration doesn't make the car..
Rule "1.
Read before you write

NO ONE SAID THAT STRAIGHLINE ACCELERATION MAKES A CAR

Rule 2

Be nice

We have no idea what a 335 can do, to say it will destroy ANY car is childish bantering.
Old 02-26-06, 10:30 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Let's not forget that the added weight of the turbo will throw off the BMW's coveted 50/50 weight distribution unless they decide to throw some sand bags in the trunk. With the weight distro not being perfect, the handling will suffer and one of their biggest positives goes out the window.
Old 02-26-06, 11:56 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Let's not forget that the added weight of the turbo will throw off the BMW's coveted 50/50 weight distribution unless they decide to throw some sand bags in the trunk. With the weight distro not being perfect, the handling will suffer and one of their biggest positives goes out the window.

I really hope you're not serious. Have you ever held, say, a K03 turbine in your hand (IN YOUR HAND)? BMW's snails are even smaller than those. They're not going to destroy or even noticibly alter the weight distribution of a 3400 lb car. BMW is not Audi; even if the weight of the turbines was an issue (it won't be) the mounting points for these turbines will be well inside the front axle, as is nearly the entire engine block.
Old 02-26-06, 11:59 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by akhbhaat

I really hope you're not serious. Have you ever held, say, a K03 turbine in your hand (IN YOUR HAND)? BMW's snails are even smaller than those. They're not going to destroy or even noticibly alter the weight distribution of a 3400 lb car. BMW is not Audi; even if the weight of the turbines was an issue (it won't be) the mounting points for these turbines will be well inside the front axle, as is nearly the entire engine block.
Welcome to Clublexus. If you haven't built the 335, well, he has a small point, like you have a point.
We don't know YET. NO ONE does. We have pics and a few specs.

I agree, Audi weight distribution is usually in the 60s, 30s range.
Old 02-26-06, 12:00 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
performance-wise, I think the Beamer will have a slight advantage....
LOOKS-WISE....I can't stand the new 3 series exterior...especially the back....and the interior is too blah as IMO...
reliability...no contest....IS
price...no contest...IS
Hear, hear. I certainly expect my IS350 to outperform any 335i on any of the many days the latter is likely to be sitting still in the shop.
Old 02-26-06, 12:15 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
I just have to sit back and laugh at the comments. As Sick said, nobody knows anything yet, everything is pure speculation and yet, you all get your panties in a bunch and quickly bounce back to reliability concerns and interior opinions. Just relax, wait and what will be.. will be

It's as though you guys are preparing your concession speech.
Well, this isn't exactly the most objective bunch to address the original question to. Bottom line, I love my IS and wouldn't trade it for any Bimmer.
Old 02-26-06, 01:22 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

It amazes me that the current 330i wins compares over the IS350. Having looked at the 330 model to possibly purchase for several years, I am amazed that magazines will rate a 330 better then an IS350. Sure it handles a *slight* bit better but its amazing how much better of a car the IS350 is in every other way.... amazing..

I think it just brings out clear magazine bias.

Because in this class of cars for the money, I would never buy a 330 period, even if the 335 has more hp.
Old 02-26-06, 01:43 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by akhbhaat

Giving BMW the benefit of the doubt, with its proposed two turbos plus the intercooler and extra plumbing, I bet it adds at least 200 lbs to the car. And oh by the way, an extra 200 lb front bias is a big deal for a 3400 lb car. Why do you think they bothered to throw the battery in the trunk for only 30 lbs.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs. BMW's New 335i