IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-06, 07:51 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd say go for one. It's another thing, you don't think about now but, 3-6 years from now you will. When it comes to resale value, it's easier to sell a car with a nav system, because, people want it.

I'm looking for a used LS430, and I have looked at tons of cars, but, will just skip by them if they don't have nav. I have used a PDA based nav system in my current LS and even though it was a pain sometimes to use, it always got me to where I needed to go. When it's built in, it takes away the mess of the cables and adapters and is made to work with the car.

Much better way in my eyes....
Old 03-27-06, 11:58 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Nav is well worth it. Its awesome to have everything integrated on that screen. Is there a way to have each radio station your listening to show the full name of the artist and the song ?
Old 03-30-06, 02:27 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

We currently have Nav in our Acura MDX, Corvette, and Ford F-150. Having said that, there's no way we would get the IS250 without the Nav. It's the greatest convenience living in Southern California where it seems like theres an accident every 10 minutes, traffic like no tomorrow, and construction everywhere. In addition, going to a place 30 minutes away consists of taking 3 different freeways and sometimes lots of unfamiliar side streets.

Gotta love the nav.
Old 03-30-06, 09:05 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had the Nav system before but now that I do, I'll never go back to not having one. I love the fact that if I needed to go some where like Target but I'm in an unfamiliar area, I can just punch it into my Nav and viola, it'll show me the nearest Target.
Old 03-30-06, 09:11 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

Navigation is actually really a luxury, We have navigation in the sc430 and man, nvevereverever use it, i think its just like a convience option, so it makes your life easier, but i wouldn't depend on it...and i seriously cant afford all of the super great options man its like 10k mo! but its what makes the car so desirable.
But i'm prettysure in 5 years navigation is gunna be in most cars, technology technology
Old 08-01-06, 11:15 AM
Rick of AZ
Driver School Candidate

Didn't think I'd use it much, but liked the rearview camera for safety reasons. Now that I have it, I use it often, it helps the driver remain concentrated on the raod and not distracted by looking for signs, turns, etc.
Old 08-01-06, 11:36 AM
LaRock
Rookie

Absolutely worth it. You can scroll around while sitting in traffic to try and find shortcuts... you can go out for drive and not care where you go and know nav will get you back home. If you are in a town/city you don't know, you can find the nearest hospital etc.... and overall it's safer than trying to read mapquest maps or atlas while trying to drive.
Old 08-01-06, 11:40 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our IS250 is really my wife’s, and not being technically minded, she had no intention of getting one equipped with nav. But when we test drove an IS it happened to have nav and my wife loved the backup camera feature, so we bought one with the nav. Having trouble with TV remotes at home, I thought the nav system would be too much for her.

Well, she had to go out this past Saturday and visit about ten retirement homes for our elderly aunt who is planning to move into one. Going to all these addresses she’s never been to before, she used the nav (after viewing the CD tutorial again and a brush up review from me). Much to my surprise she reported later she had no trouble with it and said it sure saved a lot of time going to strange addresses. She’s also mastered the Bluetooth phone system, giving out voice commands like a pro. We’ll never own a car without nav again.
Old 08-01-06, 11:57 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I couldn't see spending 2K on a nav either before the IS. Since I've been living the in same city for almost 30 years, I thought I would know how to get around better than a nav would. I was wrong. I've found a couple of shortcuts (after all these years of going a longer route) and it'll be very nice getting directions when it's dark and wet (8 months/year here in OR) and it's hard to make out the street signs without using your brights (when you can use them.)
Old 08-01-06, 12:01 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

imho, its worth it to get the nav just for the back up camera feature.
Old 08-01-06, 01:47 PM
stevejenn1
Rookie

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
I'm considering getting the Nav option, but for me the price/value is a bit hard to justify. I have a portable Garmin system now (ique 3600) which cost me $500. It's great except that it can take a 2-3 minutes to calculate a long route, e.g from Phila to Rutland, VT. Also, you have to use a stylus to enter names and addresses, not very easy to do.

How quickly does the Lexus system recalculate long routes, e.g, 300-400 miles or more. Is it fairly easy to enter names and addresses. What do you like most and least about the Lexus Nav system and would you order this option again?

I absolutely recommend the Nav unit, without any reservations.
Old 08-01-06, 02:33 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

my ride before I got my IS does not have navi, but i have a portable one. The only time i use it is when i go on long trips or places i'm really not familiar with. But overall i have a good sense of direction. But on i'll have a set of written directions just in case. But even if i did have my portable in my ride with me everyday... i would probably would never use it.

but if i did have the navi option on my IS, i would probably use it more just because its there and not because i needed it. I would have got the navi option if i got a better better, which i know i could have if i went out of state for it. It came down to it being if its something i seriously needed to enjoy my driving, which it didn't..

plus if you ever do get lost because you have no navi...you have the possibility of having one of those unforgetable " I got lost and then..." stories haha

Last edited by CeoStatus0; 08-01-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 02:42 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

If my significant other can spend $1,000 - $1,500 for a Louis Vutton bag every year, I dont see why getting a Nav for $2,500 in a car that I will use for 3 -4 yrs or more is not justified.
Just my 2 cents~
Old 08-01-06, 04:48 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

just a side note... my sales guy told me that during KKB resale or trade in... on avg you get like between 3-600 on the navi option... so if you looking to trade in a non-navi compared to a navi IS.... there difference is about 500

don't know if its true or not its just something i was told... thought i'd share it
Old 08-01-06, 06:11 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CeoStatus0
just a side note... my sales guy told me that during KKB resale or trade in... on avg you get like between 3-600 on the navi option... so if you looking to trade in a non-navi compared to a navi IS.... there difference is about 500

don't know if its true or not its just something i was told... thought i'd share it
It is mostly true! My friend traded in her Infiniti FX35 with nav. It is only priced a couple hundred more than the one without NAV, let say $400. However, when that dealer sold the vehicle as CPO, they added another $950 on top of the base vehicle price because of the nav equipment. So they made another $450 on the trade ;-). Wicked eh?

I also read somewhere that for luxury vehicles, one should go with as many options as one can afford. Luxury vehicle buyers tend to be picky and they want a 'fully loaded' conviniences. Under this premise, the NAV package will increase resale value if you sell the IS private party.

Moral of story: do not expect to recoupe the price of the nav when you trade or sell your vehicle. Just get it in the first place for the sake of functionality and usefullness.
Afterall, cars (and their accesories) have never been good investment anyway.
If you can recoupe the difference, good. If not, jolly good

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?