IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Nav System - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-06, 10:24 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt need nav, didnt like how everything was integrated (i dont want to touch a screen to turn on the fan, i just want a button), and i got a pretty good deal on my non-nav
Old 02-25-06, 10:47 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
With all due respect, I would suggest that you carefully read my question and do a search yourself before suggesting that this is rehash of "noob" question asked again and again. I was specifically interested in how fast the navigation system recalculated. Nonetheless, I appreciated hearing comments from others based on their experience with the IS nav system.

In any case, if it were a question that had been asked before, good manners would suggest that you find a more polite way to make your point, or better yet say nothing and simply skip to the next thread.
Who cares the exact time to the millisecond it take to calculate a route. IT'S FAST, nuf said! Or are you collecting stats on all nav systems route calculation times??? Please post your results. The intelligent question/comparison would be HOW FAST TO ENTER DATA compared to other systems.
Old 02-25-06, 10:56 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
didnt need nav, didnt like how everything was integrated (i dont want to touch a screen to turn on the fan, i just want a button), and i got a pretty good deal on my non-nav
fortunately lexus was smart enough to not limit the only way you can turn on the fan thru the touch screen. there is a physical button you can press that will turn on the blower. you can do this while the nav map is still present on the screen. so we got both.
Old 02-25-06, 08:13 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

You're really obnoxious--if you don't like, or don't understand the point of my question, then stay off the thread. I'm not interested in your sarcastic comments.
Old 02-25-06, 08:37 PM
Soda
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=tqlla3k]Get it, I would probably never use nav, but I regret not getting it, because of the way the Dash looks.

Yeah!! That's what I was gonna say! It's pretty. Spoil yourself, you deserve it.
Old 02-25-06, 08:45 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

A couple of things about posts in this thread:
1. I live in NYC and I can tell you that even here, with all the one-way streets and everything, I have never had a nav calculation take more than about 5 seconds. And remember, that is calculating 3 routes, not just one. The longest route I have ever had it calculate from NYC was around 300 miles.
2. Is the screen really an LCD? Cuz every LCD screen I have ever seen is perfectly flat and square/rectangular, whereas the one in the IS has curved edges and bulges out in the middle, more like a normal CRT...
3. You are right that you don't appreciate the nav until you REALLY need it. I was skiing today and my friend dislocated his shoulder. They gave us directions to the nearest hospital at the mountain, but it was really nice to plug in the address just to be sure. Took 15 seconds and I knew exactly where I was going and how long it would take to get there. In other situations, when you really need a gas station, or really want to go to a particular restaurant, or whatever, you will be so glad you have it.
4. Remember that aside from Bluetooth, you also get the backup camera with the navigation. And it's integrated with other optional stuff, like the parking sensors. Very impressive integrationand overall ease of use.
Old 02-26-06, 07:10 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ecr527
If there's a will, there's a way. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I work part time for Circuit City. We carry the Pioneer products and the AVIC N3 is quite impressive. For the money though, you might as well get the navi that comes with the car. An AVIC unit could set you back at least $1500 easy. For a little more, you can have the OEM unit and not have to do all the work of integrating.
What's the difference between the N2 and the N3? You can't get the OEM unit in Canada with the sports package. Just to make that clear.
Old 02-26-06, 07:11 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
with the nav you control the AC with the touchscreen LCD
Wait! Which NAV system are you referring to? The OEM unit or aftermarket?
Old 02-26-06, 07:21 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Ok I have read this entire thread and have one question....where can I buy a OEM NAV system at? I bought my IS without it , and I am kicking my self now.
Old 02-26-06, 07:40 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I've had my car three days now and only driven it 110 miles (that includes 60 home from the dealer). Since its been rainy I've spent all my time learning/playing with the nav. It is one of the best things about the car! The backup camera is really nice, the bluetooth is fabulous. Loaded in all my phone numbers and you can put them all in groups with icons differentiating the groups. Haven't seen anyone mention the calendar. It brings up the month you are in and you can advance to any other month or year. When you put in appointments and memos it puts a little square around the day, then click on the day and you get your appointments for that day. I've assigned the voice recognition keys for the phone book and that is really cool to just press the button on the steering wheel and the voice comes on and you tell her (Lexi - I've named her) who to call.

The one thing I haven't figured out is when you play a CD and it is showing it on the audio screen it doesn't give you the title of the CD.

Also, I love telling the voice recognition to turn the temperature up or down. I guess you can tell I'm lovin it.....
Old 02-26-06, 09:32 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diablo1
A couple of things about posts in this thread:
1. I live in NYC and I can tell you that even here, with all the one-way streets and everything, I have never had a nav calculation take more than about 5 seconds. And remember, that is calculating 3 routes, not just one. The longest route I have ever had it calculate from NYC was around 300 miles.
2. Is the screen really an LCD? Cuz every LCD screen I have ever seen is perfectly flat and square/rectangular, whereas the one in the IS has curved edges and bulges out in the middle, more like a normal CRT...
3. You are right that you don't appreciate the nav until you REALLY need it. I was skiing today and my friend dislocated his shoulder. They gave us directions to the nearest hospital at the mountain, but it was really nice to plug in the address just to be sure. Took 15 seconds and I knew exactly where I was going and how long it would take to get there. In other situations, when you really need a gas station, or really want to go to a particular restaurant, or whatever, you will be so glad you have it.
4. Remember that aside from Bluetooth, you also get the backup camera with the navigation. And it's integrated with other optional stuff, like the parking sensors. Very impressive integrationand overall ease of use.
Thanks Diablo--NYC completely overhelms the portable GARMIN (Ique3600) unit I have--driving up near Fordham a few months ago, I missed one turn and it took forever for the Garmin to recalculate--I had to pull out the paper maps. Knowing that the Lexus Nav powers through these types of tasks in seconds helps justify the upgrade. Bluetooth will be great to have too. I'm curious about the back-up camera--do you find it useful? In any case, I took the plunge and placed my deposit on a IS250 AWD, black onyx with cashmere interior+nav system, and XM radio (do you know if the real time traffic data service from XM can be linked to the Nav system?). I think I negotiated a pretty good deal too-- $2500 off MSRP. One dealer would not budge from MSRP and other quote, which came from an independent leasing agent , was $700 off MSRP. Should have the car by the end of the week..
Old 02-27-06, 07:13 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Thanks Diablo--NYC completely overhelms the portable GARMIN (Ique3600) unit I have--driving up near Fordham a few months ago, I missed one turn and it took forever for the Garmin to recalculate--I had to pull out the paper maps. Knowing that the Lexus Nav powers through these types of tasks in seconds helps justify the upgrade. Bluetooth will be great to have too. I'm curious about the back-up camera--do you find it useful? In any case, I took the plunge and placed my deposit on a IS250 AWD, black onyx with cashmere interior+nav system, and XM radio (do you know if the real time traffic data service from XM can be linked to the Nav system?). I think I negotiated a pretty good deal too-- $2500 off MSRP. One dealer would not budge from MSRP and other quote, which came from an independent leasing agent , was $700 off MSRP. Should have the car by the end of the week..
Congrats - that is a good price and a great car. The backup camera is useful because the rear trunk lid is pretty high so it's nice to be able to see what's down near the wheels when you're backing up. Also gives you a good idea how much room you have when parking (although if you have the parking sensors, it's not that much extra help). But out of all the features in my car, this is one of the ones that impresses my friends the most. Everyone who sees it goes "Wow, that's cool!"
Old 03-20-06, 09:48 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I made the mistake of opting out of Nav. After seeing it in action at the dealership as well as being in my cousin's A4 (who's nav is similar to the IS), I fell in love with the bluetooth capability.

It would be close to impossible for me to add the nav system to my IS350 now, so what do you guys think about aftermarket products? Check this pioneer out:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...632461,00.html

It has some really great features, include traffic recommendations, back-up camera, and bluetooth. My only concern is what will happen if this replaces my current stock stereo? I'm afraid I'll lose my A/C functionality since it's all integrated into my stock stereo. Any gearheads have recommendations?
Old 03-20-06, 12:20 PM
Bobs SC
Driver

Do you know if people who got satellite radio control the radio through LCD? It would be nice to be able to see the channels Artist and song names on that big LCD Screen
Old 03-20-06, 06:57 PM
L-Tuner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F1Driver
What's the difference between the N2 and the N3? You can't get the OEM unit in Canada with the sports package. Just to make that clear.
Ya we always get the shaft in Canada. As for the difference between the N2 and the N3, the N3 features a faster, more user friendly iPod interface, 2.2v preouts versus 2v preouts on the N2. Also it features some XM/Sirius updates for station logos and stuch.

I have an N2 in my Integra and absolutely love it.

Quick Reply: Nav System - Worth it?