IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Driver vs Passenger Side Blows Different Temps

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 02:20 PM
kaze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver vs Passenger Side Blows Different Temps

ok, so i've been at this for a few weeks now. ive read everything there is to read about AC/Heat issues/problems and what not. I even took apart my dash to make sure my air mix servos are functioning correctly.

so here is my problem: when i set the temperature to LO and turn the AC on, the driver side air is ice cold and the passenger side is cold, but noticeably warmer. when i set the temp to HI and turn the AC off, the passenger side is hot and the driver side is not AS hot, again noticeable.

does anyone have any idea what might be causing this issue? its like the driver side air temp ranges from 50-80 degrees and the passenger side temp ranges from 55-85 degrees (example of temperature, did not exactly take a thermometer to check)
Old 06-23-15, 05:17 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

mine does the EXACT same thing. my extended warrant is up so i decided not to have them tear into it to see what the problem is. hopefully someone at least knows what is going on here...
Old 06-23-15, 06:50 PM
robbieca
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem with my driver side. My driver side was 10 to 15 degrees warmer in the winter but wasn't much different in the summer (because the heating coil wasn't on). In the winter, it was so hot I couldn't even breath. I would usually have to set it to "low" temp just to be comfortable.

I was fortunate to catch this before my CPO extended warranty was up. My issue was with the evaporator coil. Its located in the very center, deepest part of the dash. I watched a Youtube video on the repair and its insane how many labor hours are involved. They thought the door for the dual air was stuck open and they were able to replace that with minimal removal of the dash. However after replacing that part they realized it was totally malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. They had my car for almost 21 days and ended up removing my entire dash. The Lexus extended warranty required a warranty varification by one of their techs (added 3-4 days before work could begin) because it was such an expensive repair.

They ended up having to replace the entire evaporator coil and with the labor was over 4K in repairs (warranty covered all of it and the loaner)

If you have the same issue, you might as well forget about it, or sell it!
Old 06-25-15, 01:58 PM
kaze
Driver School Candidate

many thanks! i love the forums! looks like its time to get rid of the car :\

does the problem progressively get worse? like only AC on the driver side and straight up 90 degrees heat on the passenger side?
Old 06-25-15, 08:40 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It sound some what like the problem I had (see thread below). You can see if you get the same trouble code I got. My car correct itself after a few weeks. When it wasn't working, I turned on Dual air mode and set the passenger side temperature lower than normal.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...as-driver.html