IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

looking to join the Lexus family... What am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 12:16 PM
jayhapy123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool looking to join the Lexus family... What am I getting into?

Hello everyone, I've been debating/waiting on getting a IS350 or a M3 good deal.. As a current corvette owner I feel like I'm venturing off to the girl next door with purchasing one of these vehicles..lol.. I hopped up the vette to the point its only a fun weekend cruise car as driving it can feel like a chore. And my daily cobalt SS clone I built has done me well as a nice daily beater. But now that I'm not in my 20s anymore I'm looking for a more respectable car then a cobalt.ha.
So here I am...

..As a car/forums/mechanic guy I know theres some good knowledge here about the IS models. I started looking at the 335i's and the more I dug into being a used BMW owner. The more I didn't want to be a used BMW owner...lol. So here I am looking at the BMW's rival Lexus...

To cut to the chase in an open mind none bias response what I'm I getting myself into with a used gen 2 IS 350 75k-100k lexus?. Meaning common IS/Lexus pros and con issues, vehicle character/problems need to know awareness, ghosts...ect. As a typical mechanic I think of exploding water pumps, tired plugs:/belts and wires, sensors. And limping fuel pumps with hopes of no engine sludge or last leg transmissions when buying a 100k plus mile car. Once again what would you tell a guy looking at one, being a owner of one yourself.

Interested in gen 2 IS350
CPO
Less then 100k miles
Less the 15k cash
Around the south east

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-22-14, 12:46 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Where in SC are you? You cannot go wrong with a IS 350; very reliable motors/trannys and only minor issues with external components outside the powertrain. Water pumps are prone to fail early; mine started leaking at only 27k miles. Another issue would be faulty NAV screens; but we've all now figured out how to DIY that issue. Fuel pumps aren't common to go out, but do happen. Alternators changes are more frequently popping up on here lately too.

Don't let these minor issues detour you though, because when you compare the yearly maintenance costs on a 2IS vs a BMW, Lexus will win that battle every time. So for a comfortable, reliable daily, you'll find the 2IS fits that bill very well.
Old 12-22-14, 12:52 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Where in SC are you? You cannot go wrong with a IS 350; very reliable motors/trannys and only minor issues with external components outside the powertrain. Water pumps are prone to fail early; mine started leaking at only 27k miles. Another issue would be faulty NAV screens; but we've all now figured out how to DIY that issue. Fuel pumps aren't common to go out, but do happen. Alternators changes are more frequently popping up on here lately too.

Don't let these minor issues detour you though, because when you compare the yearly maintenance costs on a 2IS vs a BMW, Lexus will win that battle every time. So for a comfortable, reliable daily, you'll find the 2IS fits that bill very well.
Good points! Lol also, leg space would be smaller compare to the others and you can't make it fast. But you have a corvette so that doesnt matter lol
Old 12-22-14, 01:14 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i love my IS350

Prior to purchasing I was looking at a lot of different options for various reasons... LS430, A8L, 335i, M45, and A6 wagon. I kept coming back to Lexus on my searches because of the reliability and this forum. I actually wasn't even considering an IS350 but I test drove one... and that was it.

The LS430 was my top pick but I couldnt find the one i wanted in my price. Both of the Audi scared me when I thought about future mechanical/electrical issues. The 335i sold before I got to it and the decreased value in the Infiniti product just put second thoughts in my mind.

After owning the IS350 for about 6 months I'd say I made the right choice for how and where I drive. I could use more cabin space though... but we'll be buying a GX next year for the Mrs.
Old 12-22-14, 02:49 PM
ICU2
Pole Position

Expect alot of problems: Failed water pumps, high pressure fuel pump failures, coil-pack failures, fuel injectors, Vanos solenoids, etc.

Jks this isn't a 335i.

The twinturbo N54 engine in the 335i is fantastic though but you have to pay to play with that one.
Old 12-22-14, 03:18 PM
jayhapy123
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks for all the input.. I did the normal research on all the vehicals in the IS class and it seems to be the most reliable one. But is there any demons between; say 06 vs a 07 or 08 model? And what would you consider a good deal on one without low balling anyone, but still getting better then the average buy "using my interests" table. Ty

Columbia SC
Old 12-22-14, 03:30 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

To turn off T/C and VSC on the '06 model year you have to do a "pedal dance", which for some might find annoying. The later models you simply hold the button for 5 seconds I believe. Other than that, no changes over the 06-08 model years.

Find some vehicles online and post their links and we will let you know if the pricing is good or not.
Old 12-29-14, 10:16 AM
navarachi
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhapy123
Hello everyone, I've been debating/waiting on getting a IS350 or a M3 good deal.. As a current corvette owner I feel like I'm venturing off to the girl next door with purchasing one of these vehicles..lol.. I hopped up the vette to the point its only a fun weekend cruise car as driving it can feel like a chore. And my daily cobalt SS clone I built has done me well as a nice daily beater. But now that I'm not in my 20s anymore I'm looking for a more respectable car then a cobalt.ha.
So here I am...

..As a car/forums/mechanic guy I know theres some good knowledge here about the IS models. I started looking at the 335i's and the more I dug into being a used BMW owner. The more I didn't want to be a used BMW owner...lol. So here I am looking at the BMW's rival Lexus...

To cut to the chase in an open mind none bias response what I'm I getting myself into with a used gen 2 IS 350 75k-100k lexus?. Meaning common IS/Lexus pros and con issues, vehicle character/problems need to know awareness, ghosts...ect. As a typical mechanic I think of exploding water pumps, tired plugs:/belts and wires, sensors. And limping fuel pumps with hopes of no engine sludge or last leg transmissions when buying a 100k plus mile car. Once again what would you tell a guy looking at one, being a owner of one yourself.

Interested in gen 2 IS350
CPO
Less then 100k miles
Less the 15k cash
Around the south east

Thanks for the input.
Purchased 06 350 with warranty. Service has been minimal but excellent experience with Lexus when needed.

If you are looking at 2nd generation 06-08, they may have "melting interior panels". Lexus just released a recall on them though. Other then that, you should be in good shape. Awesome cars,excellent service.