IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Maintenance at private mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 08:18 AM
hothummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance at private mechanic

Has anyone been given grief from a dealership for having their car serviced by a private mechanic? I have no plans on using the dealership except for warranty work but dont want to be given the gears when I come in about being overdue for their recommended service packages. I presume it is to say "I have my car serviced elsewhere"?

I lease the car and don't want to have a problem when I return the car however there is no reason in my opinion to follow the recommended maintenance schedule in terms of the lubing door locks, inspecting hoses, etc. My mechanic can do all of that as well as replace fluids. plugs, etc for 1/2 the cost.

Thoughts>
Old 11-03-08, 08:26 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I dont have a problem at all! But i do my own oil changes and such. Just keep your maintenance records and they can do anything about it.
Old 11-03-08, 08:29 AM
hothummer
Driver School Candidate

Default maintenance

Thanks but my question is this... how much of the recommended maintenance do you HAVE TO DO versus nice to-dos???? I have always found that OEMs recommend changing parts far too frequently and that you can go longer without damaging the car.

WHen I return the car in 3 years, are they going to compare my mechanic receipts against the entire list of recommended maintenance work to see if I did everything?
Old 11-03-08, 09:17 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

which maintenance interval are you referring to? 15K 30K?
Old 11-03-08, 09:18 AM
hothummer
Driver School Candidate

I am referring to any of the ones that are over-and-above the oil changes...
Old 11-03-08, 09:27 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

I would probably replace the a/c filter. You can probably do it yourself if you read the owners manual careful. Otherwise it could be an expensive fix.

Only rotate the tires if you have non-staggered tires and check the brakes too. Change the air filter. If you have to have the brakes replaced have them flush out the brake fluid too.

Rest is just visual inspections.
Old 11-03-08, 12:24 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my previous lease which was a rx330 i only did oil changes and necessary repairs. i changed the brake pads, the tires, and the cabin air filter and thats all. i skipped a bunch of other stuff. i only went to the dealer to do warranty work. the dealer i go to knew at the time that i only go there for warranty work, since i told them that. same with my current lease, the dealer even told me ways to save $$$ money on services for the car, which i wont go into here.
Old 11-03-08, 03:21 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hothummer
Thanks but my question is this... how much of the recommended maintenance do you HAVE TO DO versus nice to-dos???? I have always found that OEMs recommend changing parts far too frequently and that you can go longer without damaging the car.

WHen I return the car in 3 years, are they going to compare my mechanic receipts against the entire list of recommended maintenance work to see if I did everything?
Check the manual in the vehicle.
That is the required maintenance for your warranty.

The dealer will give you a maintenance schedule with items that are nice to do but not required to cover the warranty. They are good for keeping the dealer in green though.
Old 11-03-08, 06:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by EJC
Check the manual in the vehicle.
That is the required maintenance for your warranty.

The dealer will give you a maintenance schedule with items that are nice to do but not required to cover the warranty. They are good for keeping the dealer in green though.
Totally correct. The best maintenance done is what the factory manual recommends. If a private mechanic is going to do the work, make sure they are ASE certified and save all your records. Do all that and the dealer can't come back to for anything.
Old 11-03-08, 06:29 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Totally correct. The best maintenance done is what the factory manual recommends. If a private mechanic is going to do the work, make sure they are ASE certified and save all your records. Do all that and the dealer can't come back to for anything.

Actually, the dealer can't come to you for squat.
It is Lexus (or whatever Lease Co) that you would be liable to.

The dealer does not have a dog in this fight.
Old 11-04-08, 12:35 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not following the maintenance schedule doesnt automatically mean that your warranty claim will be denied!
Old 11-04-08, 10:51 AM
tieu
Rookie

What happens at the end of a lease when you give it back?

The day you bring it to give it back, do you sit there for an overall inspection and once they sign the papers your good to go? or is it a longer process?