IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Vaistech SLI iPOD intergration installed(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-09, 04:34 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to know this too. I hate having to unlock my iPhone to cange tracks. I want a seamless interface with my nav system.
Old 01-03-10, 08:48 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

I bought one finally through the group buy and installed it a few days ago. I love being able to use my Nav to control the Iphone play lists. I didn't do the DVD hack so I can't watch movies while the car is moving...I was too afraid to mess that one up. This is definitely one of the best mods I've done to the car.
Old 01-03-10, 10:36 PM
redline201
Lexus Test Driver

i just got a vais sl2i-up for xmas. 2 questions.
1 will this charge the brand new ipod nano? ( the newest one with the camera. sorry not up to date with my ipod gens) if not i will just buy that adapter thing.
2 can i browse by artist using the touch screen while driving? If i cant i swear im going to throw this thing out the damn window

thanks guys
Old 01-04-10, 08:25 AM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

NOt sure on the new Nano....VAIS should be able to answer that one.

So far it seems I can browse through artists on the NAV. To be honest, the interace is limited by the Lexus NAV set up, so it's not as easy to scroll, etc as it is on the IPOD...

So far I like it, but there's a few things that I don't like so far....

-This doesn't charge the Iphone.... I need to read the instruction manual so perhaps I'm missing something...but for $300+ one woudl think it would charge the phone

-The interface cable is too stiff. They should have spent more money on a more flexible cable...they do exist, I have a more flexible cable in my other car.

-The interface on the touch screen is pretty weak...again, I don't think this is a fault of VAIS, but it's not as clean as I'd like (but don't get me wrong, definitely better than changing songs, etc from the Iphone itself while driving)
Old 03-08-10, 03:04 PM
Duke02
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in order to charge the IPhone, I think you just need an adapter to convert the voltage output to 5V. I can't imagine such an adapter would be too expensive. I'd call VAIS
Old 03-08-10, 03:29 PM
isthrizzy
Lead Lap

Hi Duke, I do have the adapter (figured that out after I posted this, and should have reposted).

I still don't like a few things about the adapter and the kit, but overall it's a good improvement.

Things that could be better:
-the 5V adapter goes between the cable and Iphone... this creates a weird torque on the adapter that has now resulted in my adapter spitting in half (need to call VAISTECH for a new one).
--> solution: the adapter should have been made to install inbetween the cord and the acutal unit...that way it could be stored out of sight

The cable itself is absurdly bulky and stiff. Why is it so stiff? The cable I use to connect and charge my Iphone is small in diameter, and very flexible. This added to my issue above about the adapter.

The interface with Lexus Navigation is OK. It's not Vaistechs fault, it's the software of the Nav...but yeah, takes some getting used to.

Lastly, it would have been nice if this could bypass the lock out stuff in the Nav software. The fact that our Nav takes away all the flexibility that this unit provides (if you don't hack the Nav), greatly detracts from the coolness of this product.
Old 03-08-10, 03:33 PM
xerxes717
Driver

Originally Posted by isthrizzy

Lastly, it would have been nice if this could bypass the lock out stuff in the Nav software. The fact that our Nav takes away all the flexibility that this unit provides (if you don't hack the Nav), greatly detracts from the coolness of this product.
IMHO doing the Nav Hack is essential to fully enjoy your VAIStech unit.
Old 03-08-10, 06:50 PM
Duke02
Driver

Originally Posted by isthrizzy
Hi Duke, I do have the adapter (figured that out after I posted this, and should have reposted).

I still don't like a few things about the adapter and the kit, but overall it's a good improvement.

Things that could be better:
-the 5V adapter goes between the cable and Iphone... this creates a weird torque on the adapter that has now resulted in my adapter spitting in half (need to call VAISTECH for a new one).
--> solution: the adapter should have been made to install inbetween the cord and the acutal unit...that way it could be stored out of sight

The cable itself is absurdly bulky and stiff. Why is it so stiff? The cable I use to connect and charge my Iphone is small in diameter, and very flexible. This added to my issue above about the adapter.

The interface with Lexus Navigation is OK. It's not Vaistechs fault, it's the software of the Nav...but yeah, takes some getting used to.

yeah, I wish the adapter was on the other side of the cable (the part that's stowed away under the console) but nothing's perfect...
Old 03-08-10, 07:25 PM
98023IS250
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone in Tacoma, WA have a hook up for the install?
Old 04-05-10, 06:32 AM
Tomasu
Driver School Candidate

Default quick question

Did you disconnect the battery before doing the install? I'm afraid to do that since my car acted weird last time I disconnected the battery.