IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-05, 07:30 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
Who here has done the mod on their ML and is now able to watch movies while driving? Because I have the same question about "grounding" that wire.
Lexus_x_2 is the one. He just had it done. This where i got the info from: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=191703&page=2
Old 12-31-05, 09:00 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume the dvd-rom for the NAV and the changer for the stereo are separated from the NAV/HU that got pulled out of the dash?
Old 12-31-05, 09:02 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jlin101
I assume the dvd-rom for the NAV and the changer for the stereo are separated from the NAV/HU that got pulled out of the dash?
No, they are pulled out at one piece. Just remove the 4 10mm bolts and pull them out...
Old 12-31-05, 09:05 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tim817
Lexus_x_2 is the one. He just had it done. This where i got the info from: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=191703&page=2
Got it! I must have missed that part.
Old 12-31-05, 09:16 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
No, they are pulled out at one piece. Just remove the 4 10mm bolts and pull them out...
thanks for the prompt reply. ScareyH22 posted similar instructions on a GS https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44 and mentioned that this mod did NOT bypass the NAV safety feature (entering address while moving), can you or can you not enter address when the car is in motion?
Old 12-31-05, 09:22 AM
tim817
Intermediate

thanks for the prompt reply. ScareyH22 posted similar instructions on a GS https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44 and mentioned that this mod did NOT bypass the NAV safety feature (entering address while moving), can you or can you not enter address when the car is in motion?
This mod won't bypass the Nav safety feature. But there're a way to override it which is posted a lot in our forums..
Old 12-31-05, 09:45 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

for those with ML, a pointer based on ScareyH22's instruction https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44

Unlike the Vehicle Speed and Nav wires where you leave the monitor side of the wires capped/disconnected, on th E-brake wire it is the wireloom side that gets capped while the monitor side gets grounded.

I wonder if connecting the E-brake wire to the back/side of the NAV/HU unit (which in turn is connected to the dash chassis) is sufficient for grounding?

Last edited by jlin101; 12-31-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-31-05, 09:55 AM
tim817
Intermediate

for those with ML, a pointer based on ScareyH22's instruction https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44

Unlike the Vehicle Speed and Nav wires where you leave the monitor side of the wires capped/disconnected, on th E-brake wire it is the wireloom side that gets capped while the monitor side gets grounded.

I wonder if connecting the E-brake wire to the back/side of the NAV/HU unit (which in turn is connected to the dash chassis) is sufficient for grounding?
u can ground it at the connection where the 10mm bolts are at...

Last edited by tim817; 12-31-05 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-31-05, 11:44 AM
NJ400h
Driver School Candidate

Default NAV Hack 400h

Hi All
Will this work with my new 400h? It would be nice to access previous destinations while driving?
Thanks
Old 12-31-05, 11:51 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NJ400h
Hi All
Will this work with my new 400h? It would be nice to access previous destinations while driving?
Thanks
This mod won't let u access the destination menu.. for that there's a way to override without cutting anything. I borrow this from another thread:

Press Menu
Press Volume
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner (there is nothing there)
Press the Top Left Corner
Press the Bottom Left Corner

A new menu screen will come up

Press and hold Override for 5 seconds or until you hear a beep

You will need to do this again after turn off the engine the next time u need to override again.
Old 12-31-05, 02:18 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I grounded mine to a bolt on the side of the nav unit, works fine for me. I can watch movies while I drive now.
Old 12-31-05, 03:57 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
I grounded mine to a bolt on the side of the nav unit, works fine for me. I can watch movies while I drive now.
Good work. Did you encounter any difficulty removing the trim pieces?

Last edited by jlin101; 12-31-05 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-31-05, 04:18 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Q: If the NAV thinks the car is stopped, thus allowing you to use the touchscreen. Does the NAV get confused as to your actual position and have to "catch up" at some point?

Q: Why would you want to watch DVD while driving? Are you aware that:
1. It is illegal
2. You (or your parents if under 18) are assuming a great deal of liability. Doesn't matter to me,, but watching a DVD, in front of the driver seems terribly irresponsible.
The NAV does NOT think you are stopped, as the NAV is still receiving signals from the speed sensor, to help it navigate in conjuction with the GPS. This is why you still cannot input addresses without overriding.
2. I, too, find it distracting to play a movie on while driving, but the passengers can enjoy the movie. Although it's illegal to play a movie while driving, so is speeding and using the cell phone. Yet people continue to talk on their cell phones, eat and drink, and do all sorts of things that are potentially dangerous, regardless of the law. Is it any worse morally or legally to get into an accident while going 10 mph over the speed limit? If so, most of us shouldn't be driving. If you get into a accident, make sure you turn off the movie before the officer arrives, if the unit is still working.
Old 12-31-05, 04:27 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Watchng DVDs while Driving

I don't think it's fair to lecture anyone on the issue of DVD playback while driving. It's not like he said he can't wait to chug a bottle of whiskey during his commute. Quite frankly, looking at the navigation map screen or dialing a cellphone could be just as distracting as having a DVD playing.

My guess is that most people won't actually watch a movie as they drive, as if they were at home in front of the TV.

We all simply like the thrill of knowing that we have that capability (I don't have it but I sure would like to).

DVD while driving also can be a nice entertainment feature for passengers.
Old 12-31-05, 04:54 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Good work. Did you encounter any difficulty removing the trim pieces?
If you are refering to the silver trim pieces, no, they just slide right out. But the air vents were a little bit of a pain to pull out. But they are very forgiving.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving