IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Accessing the back of the NAV console.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-05, 02:50 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, does someone know how to get the Nav unit out? Pull out the vents first?
Old 12-17-05, 08:21 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sickntired
Yes, does someone know how to get the Nav unit out? Pull out the vents first?
Well Let me describe how I removed mine, unfortunatly I really dont think Ill have time to actually do it again until after the new year, so i wont be able to post pics until then.

1.)Remove the sliver pieces to the right and left of the wood trim on either side ot the shifter....they are simply held in with clips, they come out up/back diagonally

2.)The shifter/wood assembly comes up if you open the ashtray door and pull up with your fingers (i slid the armrest back) it is also held in with simple clips.

3.)remove ashtray assy (two phillips screws)

4.)If you look in the top of the air vents you will see four 1/4" holes in the two vents. If you gently insert a flat head scewdriver at about a 45 degree angle up into the holes and gently pry down you will see that a plastic clip will come down with the driver and clip into a down position....do this to all four...then with a "plastic" pry tool, pry the vents out ...the dash is very forgiving....it will not dent...(at least mine did not) and pull the vents out again they are held in with astandard clips....This was the hard part

5.)there are 4 10mm bols holding in the complete NAV assy....remove them and you are set.

6.)The phone book and nav data is NOT lost when you unplug the NAV unit....or at least when you unplug it for about 5mins....which is about the time I had it out....

Good Luck...hope this helps!!!
Old 12-17-05, 09:02 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Muzzman1:

Thanks so much for the info. I guess I'm a little nervous doing this myself. Does anyone know a shop in the Milwaukee area that would be able to do this?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-05, 05:25 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I have a question for both hofman_dzn and muzzman1 (or anyone who knows):

Is J50 also a 26 pin plug on the far left, closest to driver's side (like K46 is on the GS) and p1 also a 32 pin plug on the far right side (like h1 is on the GS)?

I got this info from below which was previously postered:

The parking brake wire (the one you ground) i.e. K46, pin # 23 Yellow on GS is J50 #23 RED on the IS

The Vehicle Speed into the stereo wire K46, pin # 14 purple on the GS is J50 #14 Pink on the IS

The Vehicle Speed into the NAV h1, pin # 13 is pink on GS is p1 #16 White on the IS

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.
On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.
Old 12-19-05, 10:26 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by hofman_dzn
If you look at the wiring diagram you'll see the speed signal goes into multidisplay unit then back out and back into the nav unit. All you'd be doing is jumping the multidisplay so that a) you can watch dvd's while moving and bluetooth related functions are active while in motion. The nav unit would still receiving the speed signal so it can correct for itself.

If you have the DVD/ML option, you still need to ground the parking brake signal so you can watch dvds, doing this behind the unit will NOT affect the operation of the warning light on the dash.

So I just downloaded the service manual for our cars, and from what ive read it seems that the signal is CONVERTED in the multidisplay before it enter thr NAV ECU....if anyone knowledgable is interested in investigating

Last edited by muzzman1; 12-21-05 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-20-05, 05:05 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Default Ive done it and it works!!

I finally made the time to do this mod...I was assured by my service manager that if I killed any components in my unit he would warranty....with that said I pulled my unit out, took the speed sensor wire off the multi display, cut it and the white (silver banded) wire on the NAV ECU an bypassed the multi display so it no longer recieves a speed signal...the NAV works PERFECT not jumpy.....I can now dial the phone while driving, the #'s show up on the speed dial, Caller ID shows when moving!!! The phone book is now also visible....sorry no pics....I did it at a friends shop an did not have my camera....
Old 12-20-05, 06:39 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by muzzman1
I finally made the time to do this mod...I was assured by my service manager that if I killed any components in my unit he would warranty....with that said I pulled my unit out, took the speed sensor wire off the multi display, cut it and the white (silver banded) wire on the NAV ECU an bypassed the multi display so it no longer recieves a speed signal...the NAV works PERFECT not jumpy.....I can now dial the phone while driving, the #'s show up on the speed dial, Caller ID shows when moving!!! The phone book is now also visible....sorry no pics....I did it at a friends shop an did not have my camera....
Cool. How about watching DVDs while driving?
Old 12-20-05, 08:29 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Cool. How about watching DVDs while driving?
Unfortunatly I do not have th ML, but I'd imagine if you do this mod with the E-brake mod, theoretically you will be able to watch movies, because as far as the mutidisplay is concerned the car is NOT moving...the speed sensor wire is only attached to my NAV unit.
Old 12-29-05, 10:13 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Muzzman1:

Thanks so much for the info. I guess I'm a little nervous doing this myself. Does anyone know a shop in the Milwaukee area that would be able to do this?

Thanks.
I live in the Milwaukee area and had this done. I have an IS 350 with Mark Levinson and now my passengers are able to watch DVD's while driving. All the bluetooth features also work when driving.
Old 12-29-05, 10:48 AM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

I have a question for both hofman_dzn and muzzman1 (or anyone who knows):

Is J50 also a 26 pin plug on the far left, closest to driver's side (like K46 is on the GS) and p1 also a 32 pin plug on the far right side (like h1 is on the GS)?

I got this info from below which was previously postered:

The parking brake wire (the one you ground) i.e. K46, pin # 23 Yellow on GS is J50 #23 RED on the IS

The Vehicle Speed into the stereo wire K46, pin # 14 purple on the GS is J50 #14 Pink on the IS

The Vehicle Speed into the NAV h1, pin # 13 is pink on GS is p1 #16 White on the IS

On the far left, closest to driver's side, is 26-pin plug K46.
On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.
I just completed the mod this morning on my IS 350 with Mark Levinson and it works great! It took about an hour, which included double checking the wires before cutting.

J50 is on the far left, closest to driver's side (like K46 is on the GS). J50 contains the Red wire (the one you ground so your passengers can watch DVD's) and the Pink wire (speed).

p1 is located directly next to J50 and contains the White wire with silver painted on it. You connect the wireloom side of the Pink and White.

The wiring diagram I downloaded from Techincal Information Systems <http://techinfo.lexus.com/> shows the wire as being White, but mine was White with Silver paint. Muzzman1 also mentioned this.
Old 12-29-05, 02:56 PM
jorofro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus_x_2
I just completed the mod this morning on my IS 350 with Mark Levinson and it works great! It took about an hour, which included double checking the wires before cutting.

J50 is on the far left, closest to driver's side (like K46 is on the GS). J50 contains the Red wire (the one you ground so your passengers can watch DVD's) and the Pink wire (speed).

p1 is located directly next to J50 and contains the White wire with silver painted on it. You connect the wireloom side of the Pink and White.

The wiring diagram I downloaded from Techincal Information Systems <http://techinfo.lexus.com/> shows the wire as being White, but mine was White with Silver paint. Muzzman1 also mentioned this.

I'm in Minneapolis, have an IS350 with ML and want this mod done badly. I recognize I'm not qualified to do it myself and would like to find someone who could do it. Anyone close to Minneapolis that's done this or thinks they could?

Where in Milwaukee did you have it done? I drive over there to see family a few times a year and could consider that as an option as well.
Old 12-29-05, 03:34 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by muzzman1
Unfortunatly I do not have th ML, but I'd imagine if you do this mod with the E-brake mod, theoretically you will be able to watch movies, because as far as the mutidisplay is concerned the car is NOT moving...the speed sensor wire is only attached to my NAV unit.
So if I only have Nav and no ML, i just need to cut the Pink wire and the White wire and connect them together? But which part of the wire that will be cut that i need to connect together , is that the cut out part from the Nav unit ( the wires come out the unit) ?
Old 12-29-05, 06:16 PM
lexus_x_2
Rookie

Originally Posted by tim817
So if I only have Nav and no ML, i just need to cut the Pink wire and the White wire and connect them together? But which part of the wire that will be cut that i need to connect together , is that the cut out part from the Nav unit ( the wires come out the unit) ?
Yes, you would cut the PINK wire located on connectorJ50 and the WHITE (with silver paint) wire on connector p1.

Connector J50 is located clostest to the driver (top connector).

Connector p1 is located directly next to J50. Connector p1 is smaller than connector J50 There is another connector next to p1, do not cut any wires on this connector.

After cutting the Pink and White wires, you put a cap on the wires comming from the Navigation unit. You then solder the Pink (wireloom side) and White (wireloom side) wires. In my case I needed to solder a wire between the Pink and White since they were not long enough.

Note: Make sure you put a rubber sleeve over the areas you solder. Cut the wires, then put rubber sleever over wire, solder wires together. Finally, move the rubber sleeve over the soldered wires and use a lighter to shrink the rubber sleeve to keep it in place. Make sense.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-29-05, 10:03 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

I got mine done at a place called D&D Electronics in Thiensville.
Old 12-30-05, 07:01 AM
chuckler
Driver

Thumbs up Awesome!!

Great Post!

This is awesome...now everyone's problem with the IS is solved.

nav phone dvd. done.

annoying lil nannies. done.

swt.

I soon as I get my IS250 m/t w/nav/ML and HID...these are the first things i'm doing to the car

thanks guys...you rock!

Quick Reply: Accessing the back of the NAV console.