IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 Lexus IS300 SportCross Audio/Stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 04:08 PM
SemperMalu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Lexus IS300 SportCross Audio/Stereo question

Hey there, new member. Just got a 2002 Lexus IS300 SportCross and I've got a few questions.

I want to update the stereo/headunit and I'm looking at either a:

Pioneer FH-X700BT

or a

JVC KWR500

If I got either of these, would I need to replace anything else? Rear speakers? Amp? I'm not exactly confident about my handy skills and would prefer to just get it installed through Bestbuy or another local Car Audio shop, so I was curious if I did replace the stock stereo, what else I need to go through with.

I don't intend to add Navigation, only want the aux/USB ports to listen to music as this car is now my Daily Driver. Any other suggestions, relatively modestly priced, would also be welcome if I should look at anything else.
Old 01-16-14, 10:56 PM
aliwhite
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend the Pioneer, theyre a great company with reliable products. I just changed my head unit, I kept my stock speakers, but I do have an amp and a sub.. But, you don't necessarily need them.. I just like the way it sounds all together.. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Vitveet (04-02-21)
Old 01-17-14, 04:31 AM
Nougatti
Driver School Candidate

I've got a Pioneer AVH-2400BT in my SportCross.
In order to use all stock speakers (incl. subwoofer) and maintain fade front/rear, you have to utilize the stock amp, which means translating the signals from the new headunit to a language the stock amp understands.
For this, I used the TYTO-01 kit made by Metra/Axxess. It's a little box you fit between the new headunit's harness and the car's harness.
It sounds awesome, but some issues with volume fading up and down a few dB have been had. It's not that noticable though, and it only occurs with very multilayered songs at high loudness.
Here's a wiring diagram I made for connecting the TYTO-01.

Here's a link to the TYTO-01's documentation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/red33l4a7q...YTO-01_web.pdf
Any questions?
Old 01-17-14, 04:37 AM
Nougatti
Driver School Candidate

Oh and if you're going with the TYTO-01, turn on the car and turn the volume all the way up on the stock head unit before you take it out. It fools the amp somehow, and supposedly makes sound quality better.
Oh, and the subwoofer has much more "punch" after I swapped head units/TYTO-01 than with the stock setup.
You can adjust your equalizer to your own preferences on any headunit these days though. No worries.
Old 01-17-14, 05:57 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you just want aux/USB, that can be added and controlled by the factory head unit... WWW.gromaudio.com
Old 06-14-14, 08:15 AM
LeUsX
Driver School Candidate

I went with Grom too, no complaints. I like the fact of keeping the factory radio so you don't have to worry about anyone trying to steal your aftermarket radio.
Old 03-21-21, 04:36 PM
ALRUI
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Nougatti
Oh and if you're going with the TYTO-01, turn on the car and turn the volume all the way up on the stock head unit before you take it out. It fools the amp somehow, and supposedly makes sound quality better.
Oh, and the subwoofer has much more "punch" after I swapped head units/TYTO-01 than with the stock setup.
You can adjust your equalizer to your own preferences on any headunit these days though. No worries.
Has anyone actually tested this concept and if so what actually is the mechanism behind it working (if it does).
Thanks!
Old 04-02-21, 09:43 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ALRUI
Has anyone actually tested this concept and if so what actually is the mechanism behind it working (if it does).
Thanks!
Bypass the factory amp all together. Not extremely hard to do. Will sound MUCH better.

V.
Old 08-12-21, 12:54 PM
Coryphaena
Driver School Candidate

Default Sportcross-specific questions (2)

I just bought a 2002 Sportcross (for $2000! 148k miles) and the questions are:

1) If I buy a used OEM (stock) head unit, are there 'versions' specific to sedans vs Sportcross - if yes, can I plug-and-play swap a sedan unit with or without loss of some functionality?

2) Where is the subwoofer located?
Old 08-12-21, 02:54 PM
ALRUI
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Coryphaena
I just bought a 2002 Sportcross (for $2000! 148k miles) and the questions are:

1) If I buy a used OEM (stock) head unit, are there 'versions' specific to sedans vs Sportcross - if yes, can I plug-and-play swap a sedan unit with or without loss of some functionality?

2) Where is the subwoofer located?
Sounds like you got a deal (depending on overall condition)! The head units would interchange & The subwoofers I believe are built into the rear speakers.
Old 08-12-21, 05:49 PM
Coryphaena
Driver School Candidate

Reply appreciated. The car was/is rough cosmetically, but after a timing belt, water pump, and A/C replacement, I'm still in for less than $4400. I just used the app FastR on my phone and pulled a 0-60 around 7.2 on 87 octane without mashing the 'power' button or manually shifting...

Your advice is likewise appreciated, but theory is very unlikely. Subs don't typically (i.e., ever) fit (or if they fit, do not add anything) in 5-6" round openings, were very rarely if ever installed in any car in pairs (20 years ago) and the wiring diagrams I've found show nine pairs of outputs, as in, four pairs of woofer/tweeter and one channel for a sub.

I'm still open to more advice!
Old 08-14-21, 01:04 PM
Coryphaena
Driver School Candidate

I'm trying to find a working OEM head unit to replace my FUBAR one. I think I've found one on eBay but seller emphasizes Manufacturer Part Number MUST match old unit. Short of pulling old unit, how can I figure out what part number my dead unit is? I've hit several other forums and no luck...