IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Possible torque converter problem maybe?? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:58 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible torque converter problem maybe?? Please help

So have an 01 104k. Had the tranny flushed and refilled at the Toyota dealer last fall. New sparkplugs, timingbelt, and I cleaned the MAF sensor. Currenly no check engine light on.

So here is my problem, It's kind of hard to explain so please bear with me.

I first noticed at idle it kinda of "shakes" once in a while. I don't mean like a ruff idle just a shake sometimes like if I'm sitting at a long red light. Then I noticed that sometimes when going uphill with the RPM's around 2 k and usually below, it does the same kinda shake. Never shakes on high RPM's. During both if these occasions I have not been able to see a drop in RPM's If it is dropping it's not enough for me to see. I though maybe the motor/tranny mount and I had a friend check it and he said they were OK. You can shake the engine a with your hands but not very much. He said maybe a module relating to the tranny is going bad. He said it might be engaging and disengaging incorrectly, or maybe the torque convertor. There are no noises or grinding or clunking or anything else I can notice. Shifts great up and down. Never slips at all. I does have kinda a clunk when going from R to D but I think thats the norm. So If it was something in the tranny would that account for the shake at idle? It is possible these two things are two different problems? If sure feels like the same thing when it's happening at idle and at below 2k. I have not been able to find anything about this specific problem out there. I am hoping you guys can help. Thanks
Old 07-03-13, 10:42 AM
is3wagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you start your car cold, do you hear a clunk? My motor mount was goin bad and it had a slight vibe and engine would jump and klunk once on cold start ups.
Old 07-03-13, 12:19 PM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is3wagon
When you start your car cold, do you hear a clunk? My motor mount was goin bad and it had a slight vibe and engine would jump and klunk once on cold start ups.

No "clunk" at start. Thanks for the input though.
Old 07-04-13, 07:31 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I was going to say a slightly weak motor or transmission mount will transmit more vibration to the cabin - vibration that may have always been there, but been isolated by the mounts...
Old 07-05-13, 06:18 AM
Messy
Driver School Candidate

So I just got the car inspected and had them check the mounts. They are fine. I noticed the other day when I had the A/C on right after I started it up it was really freaking out. I swear I cannot see a drop in the tach but it feels like the engine is stumbling. And it feels just the same when I'm going uphill and the tach in just under 2k. WTF