IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Newbie to the forums

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-13, 07:45 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie to the forums

Hey everyone, I after 7 years I'm finally back in a toyota, or for a better description a lexus.

I sold my 05 TL base for an 01 IS300 (yeah I know I went older in years) but the IS had less miles and is in near perfect condition. I'll be sure to post pictures later.

Unfortunately the IS has started a little issue regarding heat. I've searched and trouble shooted all possible causes (IE, open thermostat, air in the heater core, low coolant) but all of these checked out ok. There's also a buzzing noise (almost like a phone vibrating) when I switch from the "85" (heat) to the "60" (cool) side for temperature. I've determined that the "air-mix" servo is bad (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've checked the other servos such a the one for recirculating air, it's good. I checked the one for changing the direction??? such as from defrost to feet, to front and center. Both of these servos checked out. I even unplugged them to be sure that the only servo making the noise was one near the firewall.

I'm going to tackle this problem hopefully sometime this week since I"m on spring break for the semester. I've searched the part number and have determined this is it "87106-30341"

Is this the correct diagnosis?
Is this the correct part number for the diagnosis?
I read that the GS has 2 of these. Does the IS? If so, do they both have the same part number?

Some have said you have to pull the dash. I'm not concerned with the labor of pulling the dash as much as I am ordering the correct part. I used the above part number to get an idea from my local lexus dealer and $197.98 was the price...I believe sewells is $137 and some change?

If this is the correct part number I'll double check with toyota tomorrow to see if it may be a little less there.

Sorry about such a long post, but it's my first so I wanted to introduce myself, and show that I did some type of searching before posting some questions that have been answered numerous times. Thank you again for the input.
Old 03-10-13, 08:46 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

Researched more..Determined the IS should have only 1 since it does not have dual climate control. Checked out AC-30 of the FSM and have confirmed the Air-mix servo is not working properly. Instead of repairing this will be replaced. I'm sure there are a number of write ups about this, so I'm sure it'll be just fine. good news is the FSM shows which position is "hot" and which is "cold", so synchronizing the lever should be relatively easy.
Old 03-16-13, 10:43 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

here's a picture of my IS btw

Old 03-17-13, 01:26 AM
BiggDatty
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreVTEC
here's a picture of my IS btw

Did you paint the rims by hand?
Old 03-17-13, 07:09 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

The wheels were painted that gunmetal color when I purchased the car. The guy I bought the car from said a couple of the wheels had some curb rash so he paid a local rim repair place to repair the wheels and paint them that color.

from the looks of the wheels it's a quality job. I'll take some close pictures tomorrow when there's more light.
Old 03-17-13, 07:11 PM
NoMoreVTEC
Driver School Candidate

BTW repaired the air-mix servo motor. I was going to take pictures (I enjoy starting DIY threads yeah I'm sure there is one on this forum somewhere for this), but it was way too easy to bother.

Mitchel calls for 0.6 hours labor, and I think I did it in 20 mins